W212 spec sheet - differences in Avantgarde vs SE Model

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derektrotter

Car
MB
Hi Guys

I was trying to find something that shows the differences between a Avantgarde model vs SE, been looking on Autotrader and most are SE so trying to work out if the extra premium is worth it for the Avantgarde.. regardless of the model I'm definitely looking for built in sat nav.

I was initally looking at a W211 but not a big fan of the exterior looks (interior is really nice however!), since i'll be driving it for the next 5 years I think i'll look at a W212 most likely.

For the W212 the main differences are:

SE: EXTERIOR
  • 16" alloy wheels – 5-twin-spoke design, 225/55 tyres
  • Direct Control – comfort suspension
  • Easy-Pack automatic powered tailgate (Estate only)
  • Front and rear Parktronic with Advanced Parking Guidance
  • Rain-sensing wipers
SE: INTERIOR
  • Artico artificial leather upholstery
  • Automatic climate control with digital display
  • Audio 20 radio with single CD drive, 5.8-inch colour display and central controller dial, with aux‑in socket located in glove compartment
  • Bluetooth interface for hands-free telephony
  • Nappa leather-trimmed steering wheel and gear shift
  • Heated front seats
  • Rear seats – split folding ⅓ : ⅔, with Easy-Pack Quickfold system (Estate only)

Additional / replacement luxury features on the Avantgarde:

EXTERIOR
  • 17" alloy wheels – 5-twin-spoke design, 245/45 tyres
  • Lowered suspension (by 15 mm)
  • Intelligent Light System with bi-xenon headlamps, LED daytime running lights and Adaptive High Beam Assist
  • Distinctive front apron
  • Chrome trim – side, rear and shoulderline
  • Direct steering (V6/V8 models)
  • Easy-Pack automatic powered tailgate (Estate only)
INTERIOR
  • Leather upholstery
  • Direct Select (V6/V8 models)
  • Nappa leather/chrome gear shift
  • Auto dimming rear-view mirror and driver’s door mirror
  • Ambient lighting in dashboard and door panels
  • Tubular dials with silver surround
  • Door armrest with decorative stitching
  • Rear seats – split folding ⅓ : ⅔, with Easy-Pack Quickfold system (Estate only)

Hi Guys

I was trying to find something that shows the differences between a Avantgarde model vs SE, been looking on Autotrader and most are SE so trying to work out if the extra premium is worth it for the Avantgarde.. regardless of the model I'm definitely looking for built in sat nav.

I was initally looking at a W211 but not a big fan of the exterior looks (interior is really nice however!), since i'll be driving it for the next 5 years I think i'll look at a W212 most likely.

I cant help with exact differences but I can say that I am selling a 2012 212 Estate Avantgarde and it definitely doesnt have built in sat nav so that doesnt come as standard.

However, pretty sure it can be retrofitted at a reasonable cost, personally I just wack my Garmin on with full seven digit postcode functionality and live traffic updates and off i go....

Full leather in AG, bigger alloys (mine has 18" wheel upgrade as well), but beyond that not sure of the differences.

Ian

Just to add... If you drive much at night on unlit roads then I reckon the ILS makes the modest premium for the Avantgarde worthwhile on its own. The SE has a noticeably softer ride with more body roll too.

If you want inbuilt navigation you need to either seek out an Edition 125 model ( which came with Nav 50) as standard, or a car with COMAND.

Finally, if you buy a W212 and want a set of winter wheels & tyres for it, I have a set for sale ;)

Many thanks for the replies guys.

I didnt consider nav being fitted afterwards so that may be an option depending on the cost, I hate wires trailing about so built in sat nav is a must for me (also I have it on my current car so its much harder to downgrade once you've had it!).

it looks like theres not a massive difference then, theres a lot more SE models to choose from so I'm tempted to stick with that and look for Nav/Comand, harmon kardon if i'm lucky but that seems very rare!.

Unless someone sees a big reason to go with Avantgarde I may start looking at SE too with the options I want..

Actually people are saying the ambient lighting makes a difference so might have to check that out!

You'll probably find that there are lots of W212's available in Sport trim and lots in SE trim, but comparatively few in Avantgarde. Personally, I reckon that the Avantgarde is the best compromise (I had an E350CDI Avantgarde before my current car), but the UK market is pretty polarised so there aren't that many about.

BTW, the Ambient Lighting is a nice touch at night inside the car, but it's the Intelligent Lighting System (ILS) that is standard on the Avantgarde that makes a real difference to night time driving :thumb:

There's quite a few early models with low miles, are these easy to clock? Are there any ways to spot if this has been done? I know I can look at previous MOT'S and service history but am worried they can just clock it every year just before the MOT/service.

I saw one thread here where someone inadvertently purchased a clocked car from MB direct!

Also would you guys prefer the 2010 w212 or 2012 (with higher miles, budget is 16-17k), the 2012 seems to have dual exhausts which looks quite nice, not sure if there's any other major differences/advantages in going for a newer version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom