W212 V6 Catastrophic Engine Failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Frimbo

Car
CLK 230K
Hello

The V6 engine (OM642) in my 2010 E350 failed at the weekend. It looks like one of the connecting rods failed (not entirely sure what exactly the failure mode was) and punctured through the casing and destroyed the engine . The car now requires a new engine and if this were to be carried out by MB the car would be beyond economical repair.

The car has done 82000 miles and had a full MBSH. I'm shocked and obviously extremely disappointed for the engine to fail at such a mileage.

Can anyone tell me if this engine has a history of such failures?

Thanks

Simple answer is that no it doesn't.

Sorry to hear of your failure though.

Sorry to hear :( Ebay seems to be full of used engines for £1.5-3k. Would that make repair economical?

With a full MB SH, is it worth asking for some goodwill from MB?

I've taken it to a good indie and they've sourced an engine from a 2012 model with 42k miles. Total cost with labour is about £5500. I think the MB price for the engine was £11k + Vat + labour.

I'm still considering raising this with MB and seeing what they have to say. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect an engine like this continue way beyond 82k miles without experiencing a catastrophic failure.

What were you doing at the time? I've been reading about E350s for ages now in view of buying one and never heard of this. :crazy:

I bet you're properly devoed.

No, nor had I! Hopefully it won't put you off. I had a C320 before this and had no trouble with that.

I was on the A34 heading to Stockport. Fortunately I'd not yet made it to the motorway.

Crickey! That's my commute home.

Was you high in the rev range? I redline my petrol 3L V6 regularly, it's at 110k and seems to take any abuse I can chuck it's way.

It won't put me off at all. You've just been really unlucky, unfortunately.

I'd definitely see if MB will help. I've always used MB Manchester, they've been fantastic and gone out of their way for me several times.

MB may be inclined to give you some good will. However, for that to happen, the work will have to be carried out at a main MB dealer and even if you get as much as 50% off, you'll still be paying more than the price you quoted for the indy.

Our W203 C240 V6 Petrol failed when it threw a rod threw the block behind the starter motor. No warning, no signs, it just cut out/stalled. It was never abused (that we knew of) and was regularly serviced.

I sourced an Engine from Dronsfields at a great price, delivered next day with full warranty and guaranteed mileage.

MB were not interested in any goodwill. The car was just out of warranty and it was an ex MB fleet car, bought from MB!! The problem was found to be 'oil starvation' with a blocked oil passage.

What was amazing (to me) was that the car continued to start and run and could be driven in 1st gear and did not drop oil all over the road. In fact we could not find the problem until we lifted the engine out to strip it down. At this point, a large lump of metal fell out onto the floor. Further inspection then showed the hole, hidden behind the starter motor.

Dronsfields were actually really good, as was their replacement engine. They negotiated on price and I managed to get it at 50% of heir ebay price after a good haggle and several telephone calls. It turned up (as promised) on a pallet next day and was exactly as described. This was a complete engine with covers. Just stripped of the ancillaries, which we swapped across.

I've heard of 3 om642 engine bearings knocking all were 211's tho, seen a few for sale stating "new engine recently fitted"too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM642
In common with the 90 degree V6 petrol these engines are inherently unbalanced see:-
The engine features a counter-rotating balance shaft mounted between the cylinder banks to cancel the vibrations inherent to the 72 degree V6 design, and the crankpins are offset by 48 degrees to achieve even 120 degree firing intervals.

$_57.JPG

note the adjacent offset crankpins

ps if on the lookout for a replacement engine remember these engines are also shared with some Chrysler/JEEP products also.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom