W212 - what's this loose wire by cabin filter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
Hi all I was cleaning my a/c yesterday and to do so took off the panel in the passnger footwell to get to the cabin filter. The Youtube video I was following told me to look out for the cable on the LHS side for the footwell light (which I found, disconnected and reconnected) but on the RHS I found the odd-looking cable and connector dangling free. Not sure if I disturbed it or if it was like that before. Any ideas what it might be?

(PS,cleaning the a/c on a 212 is a pig of a job compared to doing in on a 211!)

2qx9tso.jpg

Attachments

• Loose Wire.jpg
    Loose Wire.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 13
That’s the temperature sensor for the left footwell vent, there should be a hole it came out of on the vent duct.

Aha. So I must have disturbed it when removing the panel. I assume the footwell vent is somewhere by the centre console?

Anyway, joy of joys, I get to grub around in the passenger footwell on my back again......the 211 is much easier in that you get to the cabin filter and therefore the stinky a/c bacteria from the engine bay and you then work downwards. In the 212 you start from the passenger footwell working upwards and have 3 x T25 Torx screws, a tricky panel and various cable to deal with.

I think I'll shoot down to ECP and get a new cabin filter while I'm at it.

Update; 60% off stuff at GSF today so am getting a new carbon filter for £15. Will pick it up at lunchtime.

Next on the list; deep clean and re-condition of the leather.

Then clay bar & machine polish.

That’s the temperature sensor for the left footwell vent, there should be a hole it came out of on the vent duct.

Thanks Cheddar. Went back into fit new filter and figured out (a) where the sensor clipped in (b) how to tuck the cabling away a bit better and (c) how to refit the cover without knocking it out of position again.

It's a fiddly job but the unpleasant odour has now gone. It was bugging me and spoiling my enjoyment of the car. I was thinking about giving the carpets and leather a deep clean before remebmering to try to de-stink the a/c first.

But what would have taken me 20 mins on a 211 took me about two hours.

Next time will be a lot quicker.

I work on these quite often, it's amazing how many of them already have it dangling down or trapped somewhere, presumably after someone previously in there changing the cabin filter missed out re-fitting it.

I work on these quite often, it's amazing how many of them already have it dangling down or trapped somewhere, presumably after someone previously in there changing the cabin filter missed out re-fitting it.

I can see how it would get dislodged when someone's wrestling with the cover panel, trying to figure out how to get it off.

Anyway, my car is a nicer place to sit now. And I went on to clean the seats. Looking forward to adding the leather balm tomorrow.

Also bought a clay bar kit today.

I'm on a roll.

Replacing the cabin filter is next on my "To Do" list....so nice to see a few "what to watch out for" item's .....hopefully, I can get it done in under 2 hours though .....

Replacing the cabin filter is next on my "To Do" list....so nice to see a few "what to watch out for" item's .....hopefully, I can get it done in under 2 hours though .....
2 hours included trying to find the right YouTube video, finding a t25 torx driver (not in my socket set - sigh), trying to work out where the hell to spray all the a/c cleaner stuff, and then cleaning up and refitting everything. Then starting again to replace the filter and refit the temp sensor and putting it all back together.

Just replacing the filter now would take me 20 minutes.

Compared to about 2 minutes on the 211.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom