W212, which one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cfoster

Car
W212 E350, Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, W201 190e, 2019 Volvo V90 R Design, Mk5 Golf Gti
I'm after a new daily since selling my mini cooper s and think I want a W212 saloon or convertible. Given my budget is around the 8k mark i'd be looking at a 2009 / 2010 at a guess, head is saying saloon (practical for kids), heart is saying convertible (for the 4 days of nice weather we have in the UK!)

Engine wise would the E350 6 cylinder be the better option to go for? Are the 4 pot ones as gutless as people say in real world driving? (my commute is 3 miles each way to the station plus the odd trip to outlaws to pick kids up).

Are there any 'must have' options and anything to look out for / walk away from?

Cheers

We’ve just bought a 350 cdi estate. It is sublime.

I’m not a fan of convertibles, but that’s a personal thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t forget that in that era the coupe / cabrio was based on the C class rather than the E so is smaller and (I’m told) a less smooth, less engaging drive.

Don’t forget that in that era the coupe / cabrio was based on the C class rather than the E so is smaller and (I’m told) a less smooth, less engaging drive.
As above.

The A207 (E-Class Convertible 2009-2017) was based on the W204 (C-Class Saloon 2007-2015), fitted with E-Class trim level and luxury.

Its predecessor was the A209 (CLK Convertible 2002-2010), based on the W203 (C-Class Saloon 1999-2007).

They are indeed based upon the W204 platform, but that's not all bad. However, having driven a couple of E Coupes from that era, I found them less refined than the saloon with the same (4-pot diesel) engine.
Engine wise would the E350 6 cylinder be the better option to go for? Are the 4 pot ones as gutless as people say in real world driving? (my commute is 3 miles each way to the station plus the odd trip to outlaws to pick kids up).
Your usage pattern of short commutes isn't going to do any engine any favours, I'm afraid.

W212's with petrol engines are quite rare, so you will most likely be looking at a diesel and the "standard recommendation" is that the V6 is the nicest one. Having owned one myself, I can attest that they really are very good, with great refinement and good performance too but it will never warm up on your commute journeys. The E250 CDI is slightly less refined, but still with good performance, and even the E220 CDI has adequate performance, albeit nowhere near that of the V6. The V6 cars came with more kit as standard and are likely to be a better spec, with the E220's more likely to be "poverty spec" basic cars.

If you go for a coupe or convertible you're much more likely to find on with the 5.5 V8 which is a cracker.

Ok thanks all, appreciate the short run to the station would not be too good for a diesel engine, however as I it seems i'll be picking the kids up a few times a week (18miles round trip) it should at least warm up then.

I'm thinking the V6, they don't seem to command any more money but as you say better specced.

I've seen this Cuprite Brown one which looks nice, different to the usual black/silver mercs on the road (my S63 coupe is black and a bugger to keep clean!) Auto Trader logo

If you go for a coupe or convertible you're much more likely to find on with the 5.5 V8 which is a cracker.

Unfortunately would need to be a saloon due to kids, I was trying to justify the convertible but it would be tricky getting them in and out (3yr and 1yr old)

I did a bunch of research on this before buying mine in the beginning of January, so ask away if you have any specific questions. For that budget you can get a nice pre-facelift one, should be full MB dealer service history and lower milage, and/or you can get a newer, up to 2013 version.

The 'best' one, ideally, would be a saloon or estate (estate is much pricier though) E350 Sport (now called AMG line) with the 265bhp engine and 7G+ gearbox and without stop start (although I don't care too much bout that, but people don't seem to like it). This means after late 2010. My dad has this car.

I have the 231bhp 2009 E350 and it's still brilliant and really not hugely difference to my dad's at all. If you do look for a 231bhp E350, make sure the oil cooler and oil cooler seals have already been done, as they will go on those cars and it costs a couple of grand to do. Mine had already been done.

The wheels will probably all need re-doing at this age, even if the owner has taken care of it, so if you care about that kind of thing, budget for that. You will probably need to get a few things sorted, as with any second hand car.

If you see a great 250 CDI, you can console yourself with the fact that it's still very torquey, and you'll get even more MPG, and the E350 is good as it is. I've seen 54MPG on a slow run from London to Cardiff.

Cheers!

And yeah, even 18mile runs isn't great for a V6 3.0 diesel. I really do try to avoid doing short trips and make sure that if it's doing a DPF regen, I keep driving. I currently work from home but might need to move my work to a separate location, and wouldn't really want to commute in this huge thing.

I've actually thought about getting a smaller runaround or a motorbike for that. I hate being stuck in traffic in mine!

Having said that, the 220 and 250 are used as taxi's all over the world and do millions of miles, so I'm sure it's fine really...

That's great thanks for that really helpful. Quick silly question how do I know if it's doing a DPF regen?!

The oil cooler went on our 2012 ML350 last year, indeed it wasn't cheap!!

I have a similar usage pattern to the OP and can't say that a mere 6-mile round trip to the station daily in a diesel has resulted in any issues at all in a good few years of ownership - I live in Sussex and commute to London by train. I owned an S211 E320 CDI for 5 years and averaged about 5000 miles a year, main dealer serviced and not a single adverse bill. Similarly I've now had my S212 E350 CDI for 7 years averaging even less in annual mileage. No issues whatsoever.

Cars were bought primarily for transporting a bicycle when I was racing so I did do some long journeys but then only in the summer months . I've now packed that in but don't think I could now live without the practicality of an estate and I'm starting to consider an S213. Not adverse to petrol but since 95% of MB estates are diesels, that tends to force your hand particularly if you are not well-heeled enough to buy new and are particular about certain options (Harman Kardon was a must have for what it was worth).

I'm on my fifth E Class with all of them being 220ds except for one 280d Sport. I have no hesitation in recommending the 220d for the kind of driving you envisage.

That's great thanks for that really helpful. Quick silly question how do I know if it's doing a DPF regen?!

The oil cooler went on our 2012 ML350 last year, indeed it wasn't cheap!!

The biggest tell is that the revs will be higher at idle, even though the car is warm. Gear changes are a bit later. You can also tell on the motorway if you're extremely attuned to where the revs should be at certain speeds, on a flat road! But you have to have the car for a while to know what the revs are supposed to be and when they're high.

The cars are very well insulated relatively speaking, so it's not as easy to tell as people like to make out. The whole point is that the process is seamless and transparent!

In my case, I had a diesel leak and the DPF regen made the car smoke like crazy, so that was a giveaway for me!!!!

(It's since been fixed)

There's no issue with diesels and short journeys until the car ages and you're over 100k miles, and then it's possible that there is a higher instance of issues with DPF failure. But, who knows really! I do notice more frequent DPF regions when the car hasn't had a long run in a couple of weeks.

Despite your very lovely other cars, if you get the E350, you might like to give it a blast every now and again and enjoy the torque!

Loving the Cuprite colour combination. It’s an “in” colour right now and it’s great to be different. Provided the car is in good shape I’d snap it up.

With an S63 in the stable you’ve got the best of both worlds.....

Jules

Indeed the S63 will stay for a bit so with this one not too fussed about performance, although a bit of poke will be nice.

Oddly enough been getting a few insurance quotes and the saloon E350 is way higher than a convertible or coupe! Its even higher than my S63 (albeit my ncd's are on my S63). May have to consider a coupe, presume it will have more legroom than a convertible one?

See if you can do a dual car policy where they mirror your NCD on both cars.

i've already done that on the other cars!!!!!! The coupes actually look ok in the back size wise, given they are only young still (1 and 3) I think it will be ok

Coupe access is a bit of a squeeze, but once in, the rear two seats are fine (two, not three)

But at that age, check getting car seats in and out of a two door car, boot is fine

V6 petrol is nice......;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom