W212 winter tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

telu

Car
2011 E220 CDI
Hi guys...
I am contemplating investing in a second set of alloys on which to fit winter tyres... The alloys I have on my car are the standard 8Jx17 with 245x45x17 tyres. I found a second hand set on the web at around £250... Same size alloys. Big question is: do I get same size winter tyres (245x45), or can I fit narrower tyres i.e. 225x50's or 225x55's...:dk:

Thank you:thumb:

The owner's handbook should tell you the recommended winter tyre size(s)

I know narrower tyres help bite through snow better then fatter ones but I put winter tyres on more to retain grip levels and improve water displacement than I do to improve hardcore snow performance. Not sure ten or twenty mm narrower tyres will help much in snow anyway and if the combination of wheel/tyre isn't correct or certified you could end up in trouble with insurance. I didn't want to take risk.

When I bought winter tyres for my w212 e300 se last year I went for same size as standard and just swapped the rubber and kept existing wheels on. Got the best reviewed tyres i could find at the time....

Goodyear UltraGrip Performance GEN-1 245/45 R17 99V XL , with rim protection (MFS) Fully Fitted (Wi)

They were actually brilliant, utterly amazing through standing water. The regular tyres would pull the steering/car to one side on motorway puddles, those plow through without you even noticing. Highly recommended. Only downside was mpg dropped but I think that usually happens with winter tyres anyway.

I've bought a w213 this year with 19 inch wheels so those winter tyres won't fit now (they are currently gathering dust in my garage) but the new car has run flats anyway so the cost of buying winter tyres for it is off-putting. I didn't pay much more that 500 for the set last year but I'd bet I'd be looking at double that for the new one!

Anyway, my recommendation, keep regular size and get a quality tyre.

Btw I've no idea why there is an Amazon link to those tyres in my post, I didn't link them (and oddly they are to the run flat version). Sneaky forum advertising revenue stream going on there!?!

I know narrower tyres help bite through snow better then fatter ones but I put winter tyres on more to retain grip levels and improve water displacement than I do to improve hardcore snow performance. Not sure ten or twenty mm narrower tyres will help much in snow anyway and if the combination of wheel/tyre isn't correct or certified you could end up in trouble with insurance. I didn't want to take risk.

When I bought winter tyres for my w212 e300 se last year I went for same size as standard and just swapped the rubber and kept existing wheels on. Got the best reviewed tyres i could find at the time....

Goodyear UltraGrip Performance GEN-1 245/45 R17 99V XL , with rim protection (MFS) Fully Fitted (Wi)

They were actually brilliant, utterly amazing through standing water. The regular tyres would pull the steering/car to one side on motorway puddles, those plow through without you even noticing. Highly recommended. Only downside was mpg dropped but I think that usually happens with winter tyres anyway.

I've bought a w213 this year with 19 inch wheels so those winter tyres won't fit now (they are currently gathering dust in my garage) but the new car has run flats anyway so the cost of buying winter tyres for it is off-putting. I didn't pay much more that 500 for the set last year but I'd bet I'd be looking at double that for the new one!

Anyway, my recommendation, keep regular size and get a quality tyre.
Thank you for your honest and prompt reply... This is what I was looking for: advice from someone who actually used the winter tyres on their car...:thumb:

Btw I've no idea why there is an Amazon link to those tyres in my post, I didn't link them (and oddly they are to the run flat version). Sneaky forum advertising revenue stream going on there!?!
Can't see any link...:crazy:

Worth checking the manual. I've put winters on my S212 which has 18" wheels with larger tyres on the rear. For winters you have to use the same size all round despite the rear wheels being I think half an inch wider.

Can't see any link...:crazy:

Same, no link visible.

Incidentally, I ran my w212 on 225's all round for winter tyres.
Definitely an improvement in bad weather.

Worth checking the manual. I've put winters on my S212 which has 18" wheels with larger tyres on the rear. For winters you have to use the same size all round despite the rear wheels being I think half an inch wider.

The manual says 245x45's...

Same, no link visible.

Incidentally, I ran my w212 on 225's all round for winter tyres.
Definitely an improvement in bad weather.

Why did you decide to use 225's? Price?

Because they tend to be better than wider tyres for winter use.

Most car manufacturers recommend going down a width for winters, remember to go up a profile.

So 245.45 becomes 225.50 etc.

I'm viewing the site on mobile device. When I look at my post and even where you've quoted it, the tyre size is underlined. Clicking that opens Amazon. Does it not do that on yours? I'm using chrome, perhaps it's browser specific.

No, but I use Safari.

Chrome is trying to create links for you. Ignore it.

Best thing to do is check in the handbook or with Mercedes technical. If you just guess a size you should really tell your insurance because it's a modification away from standard.

I'm using the new Continental TS-860s this year. They got some good reviews. Nokians are good too and not quite as detrimental to the wallet!

Run flats on 19 inchers. OMG ; is that standard?

I have genuine MB winters on my W212. On their own allots. Means I can DIY swap tyres when I want. They make a massive difference in grip when cold. In standing snow that care is undrivable without them

I've recently switched from 18s with wider at the back to 17s same size - 245/45. I fitted Pirelli 210s. In general driving they don't feel much different to the P-Zeros I have on my 18s. Most winter driving in this country will be in the wet with occasional snow, so I preferred not to reduce the width. 245/45 R17s were in my manual.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I'm using the new Continental TS-860s this year.
Having used - and been impressed by - Conti TS830P's in the past, I was interested in trying the TS860's on my E63, but they don't seem to be available in the required size(s) :(

I'd be interested in hearing how you found them to perform when you've run them through the winter season.

Having used - and been impressed by - Conti TS830P's in the past, I was interested in trying the TS860's on my E63, but they don't seem to be available in the required size(s) :(

I'd be interested in hearing how you found them to perform when you've run them through the winter season.

I'll certainly report back. All positive so far.

I have genuine MB winters on my W212. On their own allots. Means I can DIY swap tyres when I want. They make a massive difference in grip when cold. In standing snow that care is undrivable without them

Yeah, the w213 AMG line now come with 19 inch run flats as standard. There's now nothing at all under the boot floor, no jack, no inflation can. The rears are 275 wide! I was really torn over whether to go for AMG or se as I was worried about the ride but the new E class rides so well anyway that those horribly stiff tyres just makes it ride as well as my old w212 hybrid on 17 inch pillows! And it was the only way to get the (fake) leather dash top which in my eyes really sets the interior off. Weird speccing on UK cars imo.

What make/size?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom