w213 both keys not recognised

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianinglis

Car
w213 estate diesel
hi everyone i am new to the forum and would like some technical advise
my 2017 (17 plate) w213 E220 estate is playing up
both keys are not recognised despite having new batteries
i have to use the emergency key to gain entry and put the fob in the hole in order to start the car
niether fob will lock or unlock the car
there is a red light on each fob when it is pressed
ALL WAS WELL UNTIL YESTERDAY WHEN I WASHED THE CAR
i have checked all over and everything appears dry
any suggestions would be appreciated

ian

Both keys not being recognised would point to the door control module failing. Without a star session to check for codes and a module test you are just in the dark.

thanks for the quick reply - yes i was expecting that
any idea what sort of cost is involved?? and where is the unit?
i have allready tried disconnecting the battery but that didnt work

ian

Ok take the battery out of the key,look at the side contact they sometimes push down and so the key does not work

Ok take the battery out of the key,look at the side contact they sometimes push down and so the key does not work
both fobs (keys) emit a red light when pressed so the battery is fine just nothing happens

ian

thanks for the quick reply - yes i was expecting that
any idea what sort of cost is involved?? and where is the unit?
i have allready tried disconnecting the battery but that didnt work

ian
The door control module is behind the door card. I can't help with the cost, but as its a Mercedes only part it won't be cheap.
I would be inclined to use a Mercedes indy with Star to diagnose the problem and fix it. You'll save a fortune on labour.

The door control module is behind the door card. I can't help with the cost, but as its a Mercedes only part it won't be cheap.
I would be inclined to use a Mercedes indy with Star to diagnose the problem and fix it. You'll save a fortune on labour.
WELL AN UPDATE - took it into the main dealer (listers hull) it was the key antenna amplifier which is located in the centre of the headlining where the rear view mirror and lights etc are (i thought it was in the boot??)
anyway £50 for the part and a whopping £172 for the labour (it only takes 15 minutes to fit) all plus 20% vat
but at least its working for now anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom