W213 COMAND online map update stuck on 66%

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proeliator2001

Car
W213 220d AMG P+
So it's great the new version of COMAND can be updated offer the air, a good improvement over my old W212, but the first map update took ages to download (several hours driving) and is now stuck at 66% installing and has been for two weeks! Not a great result. Bit reluctant to reset system as it takes a while to change everything and it could hang all over again. Anyone else have issues or have updates been painless?

I have the same problem, but mine is stuck at 65%. On the home screen, an arrow shows a software update is available and when I select it, the screen shows it is installing, but has been hanging at 65% for a week now.:doh:

I had a safety recall letter about the wiring harness under the back seat and my car is booked for that with the dealer in December - they said they would sort the update out for me whilst it's there, if the installation has not completed.:eek:

I managed to download all the map updates (V3.0) to a memory stick and asked my dealer if I should try to install them, bearing in mind that an installation is already underway. I was advised to give it a try, but the update process that's already attempting to run can't be interrupted, at least not by me!:fail I shall be calling the dealer again tomorrow, will let you know if I get any joy.

Last edited:
Where do you download NTG5.5 (W213) maps from ?

You need to register on the mercedes.me website and then enter your car's details. I did this the day I picked up the car. The updates can be downloaded to a memory stick once you have gone through the registration process, but I think they may be fingerprinted to your particular car.

Thanks. I was hoping NTG5*2 updates would work the same as they are done via USB. But they don't.

I'm sure they will be fingerprinted to the car. NTG3.5 onward (i.e. 3.5, 4.5, 5) all use VIN/Map-Version unique PIN codes and common media

Cheers

Richard

Thought I'd update you with my latest information having spoken with my dealer. Sadly, it needs their attention as they say whatever needs doing to try to cancel the existing installation can only be done in the workshop.

I have suffered several problems with the Comand system on my car, I'm not sure if others have suffered the same or if I have a Friday afternoon example. I've had the lane guidance/cruise control pack up telling me the cameras/sensors are dirty (which they weren't) - cured by a software update. The SatNav has re-started whilst I've been driving and forgotten what it's supposed to be doing. The washers and wipers stopped working - according to MB Roadside this was because a software update had not installed correctly, though my dealer has a different report of the problem and says that updates install correctly or they report they haven't installed ...

All the updates take time and cause me inconvenience, it's particularly annoying when a problem is cured and something else happens. Looks like the Terminators are on their way after all!

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you're having a terrible time! My radar sensors flashed up they were dirty and needed cleaning then 20 minutes later decided they were fine. Been okay since. I'm not 100 percent sure the nearside blindspot light can be trusted but I'm putting it down to the logic they use (not triggering if passing nearside traffic at x miles per hour delete delta and passed car not being in detection zone for y seconds or whatever it is). I still can't figure why the follow distance is so badly adhered to buy drive pilot, sometimes it's great and sticks where I want it to stick, other times it's letting car in front drive well off in to the distance between deciding to match speeds. Very inconsistent (but doesn't stop me loving the system!).

I've also had the maps come on in night mode during the day and had to turn the automatic day/night feature off then back on to make it switch you day colour.

All pretty minor compared to you. I too will get them to sort sat nav when I go in for recall. Interestingly, I know some roads have been updated even though it's 66 percent done. I get correctly mapped on a road that used to come up as unmapped.

Oh and the outside door illumination lights only occasionally come on when I LOCK the car but never ever when I unlock it. Crazy. Clearly shows that car companies need far better QA on such complex software.

Reading these posts I can only say you guys have a lot of patience,I have been toying with the idea of buying a newer MB next year,but the Command system has been going downhill now for some years,what is happening is drivers now expect it to go wrong,I am enjoying owning my W221 S320 the command is ok the sat nav is poor when compered to a £70 one from Halfords,well maybe it is the winter blues I will decide on the new car in April.

It is straight forward and the dealer isn't correct if they're saying it needs their attention.

Download the new maps from the Connect Me site on to a SD card (works best)
Enter options menu and disable the automatic online updates
Insert the SD card
COMAND will recognise the new maps being available and ask if you want to install them.
Confirm and it will begin. Mine took maybe 15 mins max.

Now, sorting my long list of other things that either don't work or are badly designed will take a little longer than map updates!

Steve

Sorry - new here - my map version according to the info in the car is 2014/2015 (V2.1) Europe

You can only download the maps if you have a W or S213 E class. This has the newest COMAND software. In Mercedes Me Connect, choose your vehicle and you should see a tile with 'online map update' on it.

Reason number 9872163203245324523423 why I don't ever want a connected car.

Reason number 9872163203245324523423 why I don't ever want a connected car.

Relevance, added value to the thread? Do you really think people cannot read between the lines and figure out why you have that opinion?

Relevance, added value to the thread? Do you really think people cannot read between the lines and figure out why you have that opinion?

It's a forum.

And NO, I'm not jealous and/or poor. I could buy a new C at lunchtime, I CHOOSE not to.

I am simply aware of how poor the security is around car IT as it is my field of work. And how, like technologies such as contactless cards, I will eventually be forced to adopt.

I am simply aware of how poor the security is around car IT as it is my field of work.

Mine too, but probably worth a discussion in a dedicated thread?

It is straight forward and the dealer isn't correct if they're saying it needs their attention.

Download the new maps from the Connect Me site on to a SD card (works best)
Enter options menu and disable the automatic online updates
Insert the SD card
COMAND will recognise the new maps being available and ask if you want to install them.
Confirm and it will begin. Mine took maybe 15 mins max.

Now, sorting my long list of other things that either don't work or are badly designed will take a little longer than map updates!

Steve
Thanks for your reply on this, but I have already tried disabling the automatic update and it makes not a blind bit of difference. The system doggedly sticks to its preferred course of action and although it recognises there is new media with something useful, it will not stop trying to complete the failed/stuck/corrupt (or wahatever) installation. It just does not allow anything else to happen.

Latest update for those interested in the saga.

I went to the dealer today to get this sorted out, along with the safety recall that notified me of a possible wiring harness hazard. It only took just under an hour each way to drive the 22 mile journey.

Handed the car over at 8am and fetched it back at 4pm. Would you believe the parts have not arrived for the safety recall? Such appalling organisation on the part of M-B, it's not like I just turned up, the booking was made weeks ago in response to a recall letter.

Sadly, the map update problem is unresolved and intervention from those who know best in Germany is required, so I'm looking at yet another wasted day. Beginning to wish I had spent a little more time taking the BMW and Audi possibilities into account when I got this car in August. As my son would say, I'm a little salty about this as this is supposedly at the forefront of electronic/software wizardry within the "ordinary" range (I exclude the S as it's beyond most people).

Not their best moment in Stuttgart when they released my car into the wild. I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who is experiencing similar problems.

I have had my car since 30th Nov. The software map update stalled at 66% after around a week.

I called the dealer after it was clear it was not working.
I offered to wait as surely it is a quick fix. They asked if I had any correspondence from MB. Not yet as only had the car around 10 days. There is a recall (I did not ask for info) and I think she said 8 or 9 updates or problems to be done. So they need it all day, but I will have a courtesy car until ready. This makes me think 1 day could be inadequate....

Booking made for the 29 Dec. I think I will check that all is ready beforehand.

I wish they could have done this before I collected the car, I would have been happy to wait another day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom