W213 crappy steering wheel swap is it easy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grumpytosser

Car
2017 s213 AMG Line Premium Plus +++
Just bought a 2017 c220d AMG line etc and it has a crappy looking steering wheel.

Is it easy enough to swap with a better looking later spec one with the roller switches etc?

This is the type fitted
2016-Mercedes-E-Class-W213-steering-wheel-at-the-Geneva-Motor-Show-Live.jpg

Good lord, it's wrong hand drive.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :wallbash::banana::banana::banana: PHEW !

Don’t imagine it would be a straight swap, probably more than just re coding the new wheel as well.
hopefully someone with the answer will be along...

I imagine it would be very difficult to do and would possibly have limited functionality. My new 2020 C Class has the new steering wheel with the roller switches, I believe your car has the stalk for the cruise control/speed limiter? On my car it is a roller switch on the right hand side of the steering wheel. I doubt you'd be able to get the cruise control functionality working due to the difference in wiring. Functionally the two steering wheels are very different.

As long as you specify a plug and play steering wheel it should be fine, actually swapping the steering wheel takes about 10mins. for some models there is a plug in converter, i can't say specifically on your model but i just changed my W204 for carbon F1 style and it was the easiest mod i've done

As long as you specify a plug and play steering wheel it should be fine, actually swapping the steering wheel takes about 10mins. for some models there is a plug in converter, i can't say specifically on your model but i just changed my W204 for carbon F1 style and it was the easiest mod i've done

I think the problem here is functionally there is a difference between the two steering wheels. On the slightly older models with the steering wheel the OP has, the cruise control and speed limiter is controlled by a stalk on the left hand side. On the newer C Class and E Class models with the more recent steering wheels, these are controlled by the roller switches on the steering wheel, I suspect the wiring will be different meaning this functionality won't work with the steering wheel. If you swapped it out for a wheel with the same functions you'd have fewer issues. For me it would be too much of a headache to do.

Last edited:
Seems I'd need to swap the column / switches too

I rather prefer your existing wheel TBH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom