W213 dashcam hardwire help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taylorgmb

Car
E220
Hi looking to fit a dashcam (thinkware F800 pro 2ch) to a W213 E220 saloon and struggling to find an ingnition switched live. Checking the fuse box in the passenger footwell, all I find are permanent lives.

Looking at the fuse allocation map from the fuse box in the boot suggests there is a 2nd fuse box in the cabin at the end of the dash but can't see anything that looks like a fuse box cover.

Anyone fitted or had fitted a dash cam and can suggest where I may be able to pick up a permanent and switched live or even if the 2nd cabin fuse box exits and where it is so I can check there.

Thanks in advance

I also have a new E220 (estate). At present I run the wire under the various covers down to the cigarette lighter socket but that's not the best solution.

I've often wondered if there was a switched live connection in the head console on the windscreen that I could use, but not yet had the courage to pull it apart to find out. You'd think by now that manufacturers would either be providing an option of a hardwired dashcam, or providing an auxiliary socket where one could be plugged in. I wish they'd catch up.

Hi looking to fit a dashcam (thinkware F800 pro 2ch) to a W213 E220 saloon and struggling to find an ingnition switched live. Checking the fuse box in the passenger footwell, all I find are permanent lives.

Looking at the fuse allocation map from the fuse box in the boot suggests there is a 2nd fuse box in the cabin at the end of the dash but can't see anything that looks like a fuse box cover.

Anyone fitted or had fitted a dash cam and can suggest where I may be able to pick up a permanent and switched live or even if the 2nd cabin fuse box exits and where it is so I can check there.

Thanks in advance

My C Class has a Fuse Box located at the RH End of the Dashboard where the Drivers Door Butts up against it, the Cover is a Bu&&er to remove as its a tight fit, the use of Plastic Trim tools is a must as anything else will damage the Plastic Cover.

I used a piggy back fuse connector from the fusebox in the luggage area (mines an estate) and ran the cable round the door seal rubbers to the front. Couldn't find an ignition controlled fuse in the front fusebox.

I used a piggy back fuse connector from the fusebox in the luggage area (mines an estate) and ran the cable round the door seal rubbers to the front. Couldn't find an ignition controlled fuse in the front fusebox.
Same here, as far as I and the fitter could work out, there was no fuses in the front fuse box that could be used so had to run a cable from the rear fuse box through the door seals and up the headlining, pain in the a**e, but works a treat now, like others, i think manufacturers need to catch up with this and other car technology especially as it improves safety and insurance in the event of an 'incident'.

Given that Comand has a hard disc in newer cars and that they have cameras, certainly in the front screens, I've been puzzled why a dash cam option isn't offered by Mercedes...

We're about to take delivery of our E220d Estate end of this week and I'll be looking for the same - which fuse did you piggyback off please?

Installing Dash cam so thanks for the advice that there are no switched fuses up front - which fuse number in the rear is suggested?

Installing Dash cam so thanks for the advice that there are no switched fuses up front - which fuse number in the rear is suggested?
Hi,
I am looking to do this, did you find a switched fuse and is so which number?

thanks

Hi,
I am looking to do this, did you find a switched fuse and is so which number?

thanks

Yes I did. It was quite easy in the end but I couldn't help thinking it was harder than it should have been. Looking at the fuse box under the left front dash it looked like there was a common positive rail so no ignition switched power. I could be wrong but I was fairly sure there's nothing switched in there.

In the rear of the vehicle on the right (mine's RHD Estate but I guess they're all the same as my diagram even showed a saloon) there's a panel with a fuse box behind it. I chose fuse 455 which is at the top of a block of 6 pink holders. My dashcam came with something to allow a piggy back for the new fuse into the chosen holder so looks more complicated than it might be. It's just plugged into 455. The fuse that came with it is in line on the red wire and stuffed down where you can see the wires going.

Note that the fuse diagram is stuffed to the left of this fuse box when it leaves the factory. To say the fuse box doesn't quite look like the diagram wouldn't be right but it did take a bit of careful comparison before I was convinced I was looking at the right thing.

Running the wire through to the dashcam wasn't that much trouble really, just make sure it doesn't go where people will tread and wear or damage.

E213_Fusebox.jpg

E213_FuseMap.jpg

I used a Nextbase hard wire kit and picked up a permanent live from the fuses at the end of the dash. The battery level is monitored by the kit and will cut the feed to the cam if the voltage drops too low.

Sorry to bump up a old thread.

I am also owning a W213, and planning to use fuel 313 (socket 12v, front), but I can't locate a proper ground point.

I tried the one at the bottom right of the fuse box, but that one immediately trigger the security alarm...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry to bump up a old thread.

I am also owning a W213, and planning to use fuel 313 (socket 12v, front), but I can't locate a proper ground point.

I tried the one at the bottom right of the fuse box, but that one immediately trigger the security alarm...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-22 at 3.36.30 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-22 at 3.36.30 PM.png
    734.1 KB · Views: 63
what about the bolt to the right on the bodywork ?

what about the bolt to the right on the bodywork ?
It's me again. Will you happen to know the socket type of the bolt on the body work? I thought that is a 12mm 6 pt. socket. After I tried, it seems to me a 8 pt. one with unknown size of it...

what keyword should I go for looking for this bolt to buy?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-25 at 12.24.41 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-25 at 12.24.41 PM.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 18
what keyword should I go for looking for this bolt to buy?
Hi, did you find a solution for connecting the negative lead? I'm doing exactly the same with a Nextbase 522 dash cam and hard wire kit in an E400 d

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom