W213 driver assistance pack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Renault Zoe has been scored zero in the NCAP tests, with NCAP stating "The Zoe lacks safety technology commonly fitted as standard in most new vehicles such as Lane Departure Warning (shown to have a lower involvement rate in fatal crashes by up to 86 per cent) and Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB), which has been shown to reduce front-to-rear crashes with injuries by 56 per cent."

If some of these systems are left off the spec of a new Mercedes, will that car not qualify for its former NCAP rating and could that perhaps have an impact on the insurance cover for owners?

On my MY2019 (new type of steering wheel controls) once off or on its stays in that setting, but i think (stress think) new cars (or very soon will be) must have these enabled for you to switch off every time (as part of NCAP ratings etc). Although i reckon with Xentry you could code this out.
Interesting, dealers don’t seem to know if you can turn it off on the new ones. If anyone wants to sell me their DAP equipped eclass (pref estate) where you can turn the lane assist off then I’m all ears!

May I suggest that, before ruling it out completely, you try the system? I accept that some don't like it, but others (myself included) don't find it a problem.

May I suggest that, before ruling it out completely, you try the system? I accept that some don't like it, but others (myself included) don't find it a problem.
I agree. I didn’t like it at first, but have now got used to it and it has proved beneficial on a couple of occasions.

I definitely haven’t ruled it out. I’m a big fan of adaptive cruise on the motorway and I also think the lane assist would be great too (on the motorway). I’m not sure I’d want it away from the motorway though where the extra complexity of the roads is more likely to get it to play up. Just want to make sure I have the option to turn it off if it proves to be unreliable.

I definitely haven’t ruled it out. I’m a big fan of adaptive cruise on the motorway and I also think the lane assist would be great too (on the motorway). I’m not sure I’d want it away from the motorway though where the extra complexity of the roads is more likely to get it to play up. Just want to make sure I have the option to turn it off if it proves to be unreliable.
I think you may be getting confused between features of the driving assistance pack and active lane keeping assist, which is standard. This is perfectly understandable given the terminology MB uses. Essentially we are talking about the warning and intervention that occurs if the vehicle is straying out of its lane or crossing the centreline without indicating. This is standard and the only difference with the DAP is that it will also recognise when there is a danger of sideswiping a close vehicle. So, essentially, any concerns you have about this are not relevant to deciding whether to go for the DAP or not. The additional feature of the DAP, apart from adaptive cruise, is that it will keep the car in the centre of the lane (i.e. automatic steering), not just intervene when it drifts out of it. In my experience it can work quite well on ordinary roads, but not always. Apologies if you understood this already, but I thought it might need clarifying.

I think you may be getting confused between features of the driving assistance pack and active lane keeping assist, which is standard. This is perfectly understandable given the terminology MB uses. Essentially we are talking about the warning and intervention that occurs if the vehicle is straying out of its lane or crossing the centreline without indicating. This is standard and the only difference with the DAP is that it will also recognise when there is a danger of sideswiping a close vehicle. So, essentially, any concerns you have about this are not relevant to deciding whether to go for the DAP or not. The additional feature of the DAP, apart from adaptive cruise, is that it will keep the car in the centre of the lane (i.e. automatic steering), not just intervene when it drifts out of it. In my experience it can work quite well on ordinary roads, but not always. Apologies if you understood this already, but I thought it might need clarifying.
Ah, I hadn’t realised that.

The two things I want are the adaptive cruise and the automatic steering on the motorway within the lane. The thing I’m less enthusiastic about is the car potentially swerving me back into the lane if I’m steering over the white line without indicating, but what from you are saying new cars have that feature whether you order DAP or not. Correct?

That is my understanding, but it might have changed so always worth checking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom