W213 E220d purchase musings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It is built and awaiting delivery!!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Congratulations Tim

Hope it all works sweetly for you.

Health to enjoy !!!!

And it's here. Pickup today :)

And it's here. Pickup today :)
Enjoy!

Mine is a very similar spec to yours and is coming on Friday morning...after the apparently obligatory MB delay from early December.
Cavansite Blue over nut brown and black ash
Premium Plus
Surround camera
18" wheels
12.3" cockpit widescreen
Comand
Air suspension

OK - it's here. Had to go to Nottingham immediately after pickup so not played much with it until tonight and have not taken any photos.

Initial stuff in no particular order:

Huwawei P9 does not do remote parking pilot, or any of the NFC or Android Auto stuff, to be fixed in a google / huawei update. My work phone (Samsung A5) works fine.

The interior is lighter than the W212 was. It's spectacular with the dark ash trim.

Ordering matching light carpet mats was a mistake. Will order black ones next payday :)

Air suspension on the smallest wheels is an amazing combination for comfort.

The driving mode differences are really noticeable.

Burmester rocks.

Distronic / drive pilot etc - absolutely brilliant.

I take it you decided to pay for the phone app licence.
I collected my E class last July. I assumed that since bought most of the extras list including the necessary parking bits and downloaded the free app that remote parking pilot would work. Wrong. I found out that at the time it was £223 for the license. Contacted the salesman, he didn't know anything about it. I thought at least it should be included for 3yrs like Comand. Contacted customer services. Chap confirmed £223. I said but it's a free app. He said it is, you can download it for free. But it doesn't do anything. Look, do you want a license? No, I'm not paying you any more money. £45K for the car is enough. Bye.
I see the price has been reduced to £89. Probably nobody would pay £223. I'm still refusing to pay it just to have a bit play.

Hi All, Excuse me barging in but this is the page that came up on my desperate search! I recently bailed out of a GLC deal and I'm looking at a 220D AMG Line Estate with Pre. Plus, Widescreen Cockpit, 360 Cam. COMAND, Driving Assist Plus/DISTRONIC.
Two questions:-
1. It comes with run flats does that mean I have to keep using run flats?
2 Will I be able to put 18" rims with winter tyres when necessary?

Excuse my ignorance but I would appreciate experienced member's opinions.

Be interested to see pic's when you have time and thoughts on the car in general when you've done a few miles.

Mean time enjoy, very envious, I gotta wait 4/5 years before I can get my hands on one.

I take it you decided to pay for the phone app licence.
I see the price has been reduced to £89. Probably nobody would pay £223. I'm still refusing to pay it just to have a bit play.

I added everything, as a bit of a tech geek that was why I added 360 camera and NFC / wireless charging etc.

The license fees are for three years, and I suspect cover licensing and the potential for claims...

Played with it a few times, but I regularly park in Lucy Tower Street in Lincoln and anyone who has been there will realise it was built in a time when cars were a lot smaller. Plus the audience I got backing it out of the spot with an app was great!

Hi All, Excuse me barging in but this is the page that came up on my desperate search! I recently bailed out of a GLC deal and I'm looking at a 220D AMG Line Estate with Pre. Plus, Widescreen Cockpit, 360 Cam. COMAND, Driving Assist Plus/DISTRONIC.
Two questions:-
1. It comes with run flats does that mean I have to keep using run flats?
2 Will I be able to put 18" rims with winter tyres when necessary?

Excuse my ignorance but I would appreciate experienced member's opinions.

1. No, you can put whatever tyres you like on, bear in mind the car does not come with any kind of tyre repair kit if you get a runflat equipped one.
2. Absolutely.

Quick question, why not go for an SE? Here's my thinking on this.

AMG line adds £2495 to get stiffer suspension, seat comfort package, silver door pins and some styling stuff, and you lose the leather. You're already considering buying a set of winter wheels and tyres.

Buy an SE. Add Air suspension (£1495), this gives you choice of ride heights and stiffness. Seat comfort package is £195, Door pins are about 25 quid (mine are sat waiting at dealer), you get three choices of leather colours, and the wood trim is an additional £195.

When you wear the included tyres out, put winters on those wheels and buy some nice 19s for it (either aftermarket, original, second hand etc) then. Also the CO2 is lower on an SE, handy if you're taxing it or on a company car...

I know I'm not a fan of big wheels, but the 17s do look a little small, I suspect it will get winter tyres at the end of this year and some 18 or 19 inch wheels next summer.

I know I'm not a fan of big wheels, but the 17s do look a little small, I suspect it will get winter tyres at the end of this year and some 18 or 19 inch wheels next summer.

What's the implication on speedo accuracy? Can a workshop 'tell' the car its got different size wheels on to correct the speedo for the different rolling circumference?

What's the implication on speedo accuracy? Can a workshop 'tell' the car its got different size wheels on to correct the speedo for the different rolling circumference?

As long as the rolling circumference is within a few % it's not a big thing. I doubt they change anyhthing when they fit winter tyres!

1. No, you can put whatever tyres you like on, bear in mind the car does not come with any kind of tyre repair kit if you get a runflat equipped one.
2. Absolutely.

Quick question, why not go for an SE? Here's my thinking on this.

AMG line adds £2495 to get stiffer suspension, seat comfort package, silver door pins and some styling stuff, and you lose the leather. You're already considering buying a set of winter wheels and tyres.

Buy an SE. Add Air suspension (£1495), this gives you choice of ride heights and stiffness. Seat comfort package is £195, Door pins are about 25 quid (mine are sat waiting at dealer), you get three choices of leather colours, and the wood trim is an additional £195.

When you wear the included tyres out, put winters on those wheels and buy some nice 19s for it (either aftermarket, original, second hand etc) then. Also the CO2 is lower on an SE, handy if you're taxing it or on a company car...

Hi Timskemp,
Very helpful thanks. I wanted an SE but I couldn't source one with the options I wanted in time for the VED change. I hope to conclude a deal tomorrow and have asked the dealer to swap the 20" wheels on a pre-registered car with delivery miles. I don't think he'll oblige though! I would rather have 19's or even 18's. Any suggestion as to where to buy wheels?

Last edited:
Previously I've gone aftermarket and have used Rimstyle and Wheelbase Alloys to supply, I always get tyres fitted locally by a mobile fitter.

If you want genuine wheels then the dealer is your friend.

Previously I've gone aftermarket and have used Rimstyle and Wheelbase Alloys to supply, I always get tyres fitted locally by a mobile fitter.

If you want genuine wheels then the dealer is your friend.

Thanks again Timskemp, you seem to have it sussed. If my dealer won't change the wheels I think I'll sell the 20" rims and put on 19 or even 18" wheels to give me a greater choice of tyres. I'm captain sensible these days.

Picked up today 220d AMG Line with Premium Plus, Widescreen Cockpit, 360 Camera and ridiculously low mileage. Early days but very positive first impressions. The standout features are the widescreen cockpit and Intelligent Light system.

I had my partner's A class delivered 3 weeks ahead in March 2016, factory ordered in Nov 2015.

My E class Estate with most of key options ordered in X'mas week 2016 and delivered a day before Tax rise..!!

I was told by the dealer Merc normally 'Under promise and over deliver' regarding delivery dates..!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom