W213 E400d 4matic using oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

omega1

Car
E400d 2020 4matic (W213)
Hi all,

Following a previous post asking about engine oil for a W213 E400d 4matic I eventually purchased 1L from Mercedes after it said it needed 1L on the dash.

I've been following the indicator closely and it's already heading down the electronic dipstick to the point where it's nearly at the lower end again and no doubt will tell me it needs another 1L of oil.

The car has done just over 10,000 miles and it was only around 1,000-1,500 miles ago I put the extra 1L in it.

Can anyone let me know what the normal oil usage is/should be? I already had them make a note that it needed more oil as it is still under warranty and would hate to think there is a problem with the engine somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

The alloy engine sump is bolted to the front differential casing in the 4 matic system and as such is under greater strain- perhaps you have a leak somewhere there- difficult to see on modern cars with all the undercladdding?

Well as an update to this, at 18,000 miles its now gone through a full 2 litres and now needs some more as its around the minimum again according to the electronic measurement.

I've reported it to Mercedes but they didn't seem that interested, they had a quick look at it, but didn't really say anything other that to keep my eye on the levels and they'd look at it at the next service.

The next services is up and i'm wondering what to do about it. If they say it's normal, then I'll quit worrying about it, but it seems quite a lot of oil to 'use' for a relatively new car and low mileage.

Any other E400d W213 owners with similar issues?

Thanks,

Well as an update to this, at 18,000 miles its now gone through a full 2 litres and now needs some more as its around the minimum again according to the electronic measurement.

I've reported it to Mercedes but they didn't seem that interested, they had a quick look at it, but didn't really say anything other that to keep my eye on the levels and they'd look at it at the next service.

The next services is up and i'm wondering what to do about it. If they say it's normal, then I'll quit worrying about it, but it seems quite a lot of oil to 'use' for a relatively new car and low mileage.

Any other E400d W213 owners with similar issues?

Thanks,
Sometimes cars have info about oil usage in the glovebox car manual under the oil topping up section . Many years ago some Audi’s were using 1L every 1000 miles .

Well a classic case of are you using it or losing it,can you get somebody to drive behind you as you go on say a 30 mile run to see if you are putting out smoke from the exhaust,maybe get the undertray removed,to look for the leak,from your posts you have used around 3 ltr of oil in 8000 miles,for me thats far too much,with close tolerance machined engines,I would not expect to put any oil in between services in a recently produced car.

So the car was in for a service a couple weeks ago and I insisted they take a look at the oil usage.

They said it was perfectly normal and actually did put it in writing in the service notes (expected oil usage over miles), so I'm fine with that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom