W213 E63 Buying Questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Swizzer2020

Car
E63
Hi All

I’m on the hunt for a w213 e63 estate, after weighing this up with the older gen rs6. The e63 is now comparable cost wise, and seems to be consistently the better car in reviews, although there are some things I’m a bit worried about, mainly ride and comfort.

Just a few questions for people who have owned the w213 e63 please!

1. Ride is entirely subjective but with the comfort seats and the 19’s, can it be a comfortabe quiet cruiser on long motorway journeys, and around town?

I’ve heard about tyre noise and have looked into the foam lined so called silent tyres, however reviews actually suggest these offer very little reduction In noise, so not really worth it. I also thought about adding proofing material to the steel arches above the plastic wheel arch liners to reduce the amount of noise that makes its way into the cabin. Has anybody taken action to improve ride and tyre noise?

2. Does anybody know if the w213 e63 can have a towbar fitted?

3. A car I’m looking at has the premium plus pack, does anybody have a list of what this includes?

4. I think I read somewhere that the car can raise 25mm for clearance, is this the maximum? I sometime have to navigate a couple of gravel tracks so may look into whether an increase height can be coded into the ‘lift mode’.

The final query is whether there are any key things to look for with used examples of these, or common faults I need to check for?

Many Thanks!

S

Hi All

I’m on the hunt for a w213 e63 estate, after weighing this up with the older gen rs6. The e63 is now comparable cost wise, and seems to be consistently the better car in reviews, although there are some things I’m a bit worried about, mainly ride and comfort.

Just a few questions for people who have owned the w213 e63 please!

1. Ride is entirely subjective but with the comfort seats and the 19’s, can it be a comfortabe quiet cruiser on long motorway journeys, and around town?

I’ve heard about tyre noise and have looked into the foam lined so called silent tyres, however reviews actually suggest these offer very little reduction In noise, so not really worth it. I also thought about adding proofing material to the steel arches above the plastic wheel arch liners to reduce the amount of noise that makes its way into the cabin. Has anybody taken action to improve ride and tyre noise?

2. Does anybody know if the w213 e63 can have a towbar fitted?

3. A car I’m looking at has the premium plus pack, does anybody have a list of what this includes?

4. I think I read somewhere that the car can raise 25mm for clearance, is this the maximum? I sometime have to navigate a couple of gravel tracks so may look into whether an increase height can be coded into the ‘lift mode’.

The final query is whether there are any key things to look for with used examples of these, or common faults I need to check for?

Many Thanks!

S
1. I really wouldn’t worry about the tyre noise. It’s not the noisiest part of the car. It’s in-keeping with the type of car.

2. I don’t believe it’s been type approved for towing.

3. Premium Plus isn’t available as an option on the E63, it’s already included in the standard UK specification: keyless go/comfort, Burmester hifi and panoramic roof IIRC.

Last edited:
I see a company called Stealth Hitches in the US does a towbar kit. Could be an option...

I see a company called Stealth Hitches in the US does a towbar kit. Could be an option...

If you’d win the UK and Europe then it would be illegal to use as it has not been type approved. If you live outside of Europe then Mercedes may have a retrofit available.

IIRC the new-model RS6 Is type approved for towing - not sure about previous generation - if you really need to tow with this type of car.

Thanks Bobby - it is just for a bike rack so probably much easier just to go with a roof mounted rack.

Thanks Bobby - it is just for a bike rack so probably much easier just to go with a roof mounted rack.
Yes it’s the best option on an AMG, unless you go for an AMG SUV which are type approved for towing.

Welcome and what a great choice of car you are pondering on. I'm 2 and a half years in and very happy with mine.

I'm not sure if you've already read this thread, but it will probably help you out a little.

As for ride comfort and tyre noise, I have the performance seats and love them. I can get comfortable every time, long journeys, short journeys, spirited driving, cruising. On the flip side to this, it's worth noting that I hear people with different body shapes and sizes have different opinions of them. If you are looking at comfort seats on 19's then you have nothing to worry about.
At first I didn't notice the tyre noise on 20's, but when I put on a set of winter 19's I did notice that it was a little quieter. Coming from a W205 C63s, the ride and noise in the W213 E63s wasn't an issue for me. I guess as Bobby mentions above, it depends what you are used to and what you are expecting. If you want the comfort of driving your favorite armchair then maybe you could consider an S class.
Ultimately the best way to find out would be to test drive a 213 for yourself, unfortunately this isn't possible due to the current situation, but for the time being and better advice could you tell us what car the 213 will replace and maybe someone will be able to give a more accurate comparison of them both.

Hi Romeo,

Thanks for the info. I’m coming from a new 2018 5 series touring, 530d but in the m sport trim with 20’s. The actual suspension is supple but the thin tyres and being run flats, the initial feel over bumps can crash sometimes. The journo’s thought this new 5 series rode very well so maybe I’m fussy with ride quality.

Glad to hear you’re still enjoying yours!

Do you know how much the suspension can be raised by for clearing obstacles?

Thanks!

As yourself and Graveworm mentioned on the link I attached I believe the raised height is 25mm, someone with more tech knowledge will need to advise whether extra height can be coded into this.
Again someone with experience of 5 series suspension/ride quality may chirp in with advice on that, but I'm pretty sure all of the positives you find with this car will soon have you forgetting about any concerns you had.

Test drive ASAP and in the mean time loop play Chris Harris's review.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom