W213 E63s Extended Warranty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Russy01

Car
Evening,

Still on the hunt for the perfect car and think I have found a good one at an independent garage - however as it’s going to be used a lot (and hard) I’m not 100% comfortable going without a MB warranty.

The car is only 7 weeks past it’s 3rd birthday and has spent that time sat in a showroom. I have enquired online and can only find the daft prices of £2700pa or whatever it is.

Am I likely to get any goodwill from a dealer to get a reduced renewal price, or is it literally that expensive and that’s the end of it?

I also have another Merc, 2018 Marco Polo and a 2yr warranty extension on that was just £1000. So whilst I understand the e63 is up a level, the >£5k for 2yrs is frankly daft.

Thanks in advance….

A lot of people say don't bother, just put that sort of sum aside in case you need it.

I had a dealer warranty on my C63 and the only thing which went wrong while under warranty (a hole in an intercooler) wasn't covered!!

Problem is, Sod's law says if you don't .......

A lot of people say don't bother, just put that sort of sum aside in case you need it.

I had a dealer warranty on my C63 and the only thing which went wrong while under warranty (a hole in an intercooler) wasn't covered!!

Problem is, Sod's law says if you don't .......
I have just come out of 991 911 ownership and was horrified of how quickly bills could add up.

The most minor thing costing £1000-1500 a pop (of which there were a few), I doubt the costs of parts and labour are any less for a 2019 E63?

Tricky one.

Dealer goodwill - no chance on warranty as its a third party company that covers the warranty for mercedes.

Like you I searched a long time to find the right car, I bought mine through a main dealer where you get 2 years warranty as standard on AMG's (and on normal cars at the moment), so worth looking out. Independent dealers were giving 3-6 months (should be 6 months min)

Have you got a link to the car?

Evening,

Still on the hunt for the perfect car and think I have found a good one at an independent garage - however as it’s going to be used a lot (and hard) I’m not 100% comfortable going without a MB warranty.

The car is only 7 weeks past it’s 3rd birthday and has spent that time sat in a showroom. I have enquired online and can only find the daft prices of £2700pa or whatever it is.

Am I likely to get any goodwill from a dealer to get a reduced renewal price, or is it literally that expensive and that’s the end of it?

I also have another Merc, 2018 Marco Polo and a 2yr warranty extension on that was just £1000. So whilst I understand the e63 is up a level, the >£5k for 2yrs is frankly daft.

Thanks in advance….
The official MB warranty for my W213 E63 was quoted at £1396 for 1 year, or £2669 for 2 years.
I looked at the policy document, there are a serious amount of excluded items on it

I asked my official MB dealer, they said they rarely sell any official MB warranties, but they offer their own version.
I did some research on a local car forum, turns out they offer their own warranty on other marques in the portfolio, like Audi/BMW/Porsche/VW etc.
Several folks on the forum has have many successful warranty claims too, one chap had a gearbox replaced under it at something like 4K

Safe to say I took out my local dealers extended warranty and forgot about the official MB one.

The exclusions

What is not covered? Claims for mechanical or electrical failure of covered parts due to wear and tear.
Bodywork, body seals (including convertible roof, boot, sunroof, doors etc.), fixings and fastenings: nuts/bolts/brackets/studs/clips and springs (other than suspension springs), glass, interior/ exterior trim, interior panels, paint, lamp units and wheels. Any failure attributable to the effects of overheating is not regarded as a mechanical failure under the terms of this insurance.

Items specifically excluded are as follows:
• Air cleaners;
• Any seal, gasket or sealant;
• Auxiliary belts;
• Batteries - non HV and auxiliary batteries;
• Bonnet, boot and fuel flap release cables;
• Brake friction material and discs/drums;
• Brake pipes and brake hoses;
• Clutch assemblies/clutch fork/release bearings/pressure plate/carrier plate;
• Clutch master cylinder/clutch slave cylinder;
• Core plugs;
• Distributor caps;
• Drive shaft and steering rack gaiters;
• Electrical connection blocks, terminals and fuses;
• Exhaust system, muffler, heat shields and exhaust pipes;
• Fuel filters;
• Gearbox, axle and drive line mountings;
• Handbrake/parking brake cables;
• Hinges (all);
• Hoses/pipes (non-metal), hose clips and connectors (excluding coolant hoses);
• HT leads;
• Light bulbs and LED bulbs (except Xenon Bulbs);
• Navigation CDs, DVDs and SD cards;
• Oil filters and gaskets;
• PAS high pressure hose/pipes;
• Pollen/odour filters;
• Reprogramming or software updates (unless required as part of a replacement part repair or remedies the complaint/fault. Maximum 1 hour);
• Shock absorbers and suspension struts;
• Spark plugs;
• Sunroof cables, convertible cables, convertible roof material and straps;
• Tyres;
• Wheels;
• Wiper blades;
• Wiring and wiring looms.

Last edited:
Good for you for actually reading it. My bet is that quite a few people pay the four figure sum for a "MB" warranty thinking that they are purchasing a warranty that covers everything - then only read the long list of exclusions when their claim is rejected.

They are in it to make a profit.....so clearly they take rather more in premiums that they pay out in claims or they wouldn't do it.....and one of the ways to ensure that happens is to not cover the most likely things to fail!.....for example one I had (VW) did cover the actual cambelt......but not any resulting damage!.....Well that's useful since the belt was about 12 quid......but a set of valves (or even a head) and a possible a piston or two might be a smidge more!!! One thing I have noticed is that premiums for extended warranties have rocketed up since I last bought one! These days, being an ex mechanic, and lucky enough to be mortgage free I tend to risk it! Not sure I will be so brave on my next Merc......so many more advanced electronics (my weak point) compared to my last one.....

They are in it to make a profit.....so clearly they take rather more in premiums that they pay out in claims or they wouldn't do it.....and one of the ways to ensure that happens is to not cover the most likely things to fail!.....for example one I had (VW) did cover the actual cambelt......but not any resulting damage!.....Well that's useful since the belt was about 12 quid......but a set of valves (or even a head) and a possible a piston or two might be a smidge more!!! One thing I have noticed is that premiums for extended warranties have rocketed up since I last bought one! These days, being an ex mechanic, and lucky enough to be mortgage free I tend to risk it! Not sure I will be so brave on my next Merc......so many more advanced electronics (my weak point) compared to my last one.....
I was quoted £2600+ for 1 yrs warranty on my E63. I didn't take it up because (a) It's remapped and any engine claim would most likely be rejected, and (b) It's just too expensive.
I stick £1500 aside every year for any unforeseen fault and I'm quids in after nearly 3 yrs ownership.

My e63s is a 2020 so I got warranty until next year and I think the (probably) really expensive thing that was done under warranty is a rear window on my estate as the aerial was bust (rear window heater caused radio to cut off) and some random rattles they fixed. Also wondered about extended warranty until I saw exclusion list. It's mad for that price.

Oh and they replaced all four tyre sensors as they went bust .. That actually surprised me they did that during warranty.

I was quoted £2600+ for 1 yrs warranty on my E63. I didn't take it up because (a) It's remapped and any engine claim would most likely be rejected, and (b) It's just too expensive.
I stick £1500 aside every year for any unforeseen fault and I'm quids in after nearly 3 yrs ownership.

I'm also of this mindset, have been for a while in fact. When I had the W212 E63 it was so far modified that there was nothing much made by Mercedes left on it so obviously I never bothered with that one. I changed that to a W213 E63s and, when the manufacturer's warranty ran out I didn't bother extending it as I decided that if anything went wrong I'd either pay for it myself or, if too much to stand, sell it on cheaply. As it happened I sold it anyway as I kept getting pestered by a friend to sell it to him...

My current one will be 3 years old this October but will not be getting the warranty extended, mainly as it barely goes anywhere at the moment. I've still not got 5,000 miles on it as yet though hopefully will have after a 500+ mile round trip to Benz on the Green this weekend. :)

Small update.
I had to use the local dealers extended warranty.
My car had an engine management light on and was running rough at low RPM.

Car reported an engine misfire on cylinder 5, Coil pack faulty they said. Quite a bit of diagnosis went on with spark plus and coil packs, so I got concerned about a big bill.
All sorted under the extended warranty, so I'm pleased I took it out.

Small update.

Car reported an engine misfire on cylinder 5, Coil pack faulty they said. Quite a bit of diagnosis went on with spark plus and coil packs, so I got concerned about a big bill.
Good news 👍🏻

Small update.

Where are you located Shaun. This seems a good news story which I’m glad to hear. My own local dealer is Western Mercedes Edinburgh. Shocking!

Where are you located Shaun. This seems a good news story which I’m glad to hear. My own local dealer is Western Mercedes Edinburgh. Shocking!
Morning, I'm in Northern Ireland.

We only have one Mercedes dealer here.
I did do a bit of research before taking out their warranty, many people on a different car forum I use have the policy on other marques that the group offers (Agnew Group).
They only had positive things to say about the warranty, so I went with it, but at least I now now that they will actually fix things.
The other great thing is they sort everything regarding the warranty, I don't have to deal with anyone other than the dealer.

It cost me £1650 for 36 months

I had same issue, not sure which bank it was but a coil pack went and had to be replaced... all under extended warranty.

have got a issue with the parking sensor when it gets wet , the dealers say they have to check the wiring first and then they check the parking sensor, and id have to pay £360 for the diagnosis if its the wiring but not if its the sensor. Left it for now but if it plays up again ill have to take it in. sensor is only £50

I had same issue, not sure which bank it was but a coil pack went and had to be replaced... all under extended warranty.

have got a issue with the parking sensor when it gets wet , the dealers say they have to check the wiring first and then they check the parking sensor, and id have to pay £360 for the diagnosis if its the wiring but not if its the sensor. Left it for now but if it plays up again ill have to take it in. sensor is only £50
I have the same fault with the front passenger side 2 just off centre ones. Fine in the dry but if there slightly wet they go nuts.
It only started happening after merc took the bumper off to fit my black grill insert, so I suspect the wiring clip near the front. I'm taking it to an independent for its mid service oil change, hopefully they can fix it cheaply. My days of getting under a car have passed.

Bought a 2001 W168 auto (I had no idea about the crap auto box) with 1 year warranty, I extended for the extra year option cheaply and guess what ? 3 weeks after that expired the bloody F1 first gear clutch went, 18,000€ and gone again since but this time I did the job, properly.

Morning, I'm in Northern Ireland.

We only have one Mercedes dealer here.
I did do a bit of research before taking out their warranty, many people on a different car forum I use have the policy on other marques that the group offers (Agnew Group).
They only had positive things to say about the warranty, so I went with it, but at least I now now that they will actually fix things.
The other great thing is they sort everything regarding the warranty, I don't have to deal with anyone other than the dealer.

It cost me £1650 for 36 months
I feel a day trip to Belfast coming on.

Thanks Shaun

Jim

I had the same thing with a wiring fault THAT HAD BEEN IN THE CAR SINCE MANUFACTURER!

J

During my last service, they discovered a slightly worn drivers side ball joint.
Replaced under the extended warranty.
I also unfortunately had another coil pack go bad, but all sorted with the warranty.
During the coil pack fix, the car started complaining about starter battery critical, so they whipped out the battery and put a new one in.

I'd recommend the extended warranty offered by Mercedes Belfast to anyone. I guess it would be difficult for anyone outside of N.I to make use of it.
I can honestly say this dealer has been fantastic with me over the years.
Well done ✔️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom