W213 new E class.. Essential options and which to avoid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proeliator2001

Car
W213 220d AMG P+
I've looking at getting a new E220d and whilst I'm more or less set on the spec I wonder if I'm speccing it to be the best car for value/ease of use. Clearly a base se with nothing on it will depreciate the least but is there a sweet spot?

Firstly I'm torn over se and amg spec. I love the artico dash and top of doors, really lifts the cabin. But I'm not so keen on the 19 wheels for ride quality. Saying that,i understand the e comes with run flat tyres so I guess there is way less benefit from the little 17 wheels then you used to get on the w212. Anyone tried se and amg back to back that can comment? One things for certain, id spec open pore wood on an se, it looks and feels great.

Next up I'm want command online and the wide-screen cockpit. It looks amazing and can display a ton of info. However apart from looks I wonder if the 1500 command option really adds anything useful. I think I'd get it just for the looks though, sadly enough. I did notice comand glitched once, showing the next junction nearly 9 miles early. Least a simple software fix sorts those types of issues.

360 camera is next. I know it then allows remote parking though I doubt I'll ever use it beyond purposefully freaking people out. The main reason I'd get is i can rarely park my w212 straight. I don't know why, I wonder if the slight downward line on the door card or angle of the windscreen or something throws me off but both my wife and I tend to park it at a slight angle. Never have trouble in any other car and I've owned 20+ different cars over the years but the old e just gets me every bloody time. Hence being able to see bay lines would be great. Anytime got 360 camera that now couldn't live without?

Driving assistance package. I've wanted that ever since I got my w212 and had the chance to use it last week on a 24 got demo with a 213. Adaptive cruise is fantastic although it often brakes quite late and harsher than I ever would. This was with the car in eco or comfort and the braking activation set to medium distance. I'd get use to it but wish I was gentler or a little more progressive. But still, for the total lack of hassle on motorways and stop start it's just the best option I could ever ask for. Blind spot assist is great too,im tall so the b pillar blocks the side view so that too is a good option. But I'm not sure of the benefit of the active steering. I didn't really trust the car to self steer or give the helping hand its supposed to, I don't think I'd ever totally relax with it and so wonder if just getting adaptive cruise is a better option than the full package. Anytime got the latest package and can pass comment? Does it get easier to trust/second nature after a while?

Finally, I'm leaning towards premium plus pack. I want want want want want the new adaptive led lights. They are amazing. I got flashed a few times by blinded people but wow are they good. The 'opening the curtains' effect they give coming out a built up area into a dark country road is phenomenal and the quality of light is fantastic. Night driving wouldn't be fatiguing at all with this. It's a shame it's not available on it s own. I'm not fussed about keyless go or pan roof but the lights! Memory seats and burmester stereo seen worthwhile. I looked at Mercedes.de configurator as there are loads of things the e can come with that aren't available in the UK and I noticed that their options are horrifically priced. When specced up similar to what I'm after they are running 10k+ plus more. A fair chuck is due to the rubbish euro but even using a good exchange rate from some years back show they get well and truly stung on options. Which makes the premium plus pack seem good value. Still, I wonder if premuim plus brings in much return come resale time.

Here's a question on seats. I know se don't have lumber (it's an option) but amg does. I know premium/plus adds it to the seat on se models. Does it also add the adjustable seat base cushion that extends forward ml amg had it, i wondered it se with premium/premium plus also adds it.

I've heard the air suspension is worth the money but is it really? Is it expensive to maintain or repair?

Saloon v estate. I'm not a fan of the new E class ****, prefer the old boxy one. Though I do like the look of the estate. Doubt anyone has driven it yet but any ideas if the extra weight and different rear suspension ruin the ride compared to saloon?

Are there anything else that every e should be specced with?

So the new led lights are 'amazing'. Presumably the people blinded by them would describe them rather differently.

But I'm not sure of the benefit of the active steering. I didn't really trust the car to self steer or give the helping hand its supposed to, I don't think I'd ever totally relax with it and so wonder if just getting adaptive cruise is a better option than the full package. Anytime got the latest package and can pass comment? Does it get easier to trust/second nature after a while?
I have the Driving Assistance Package on my W212 and the Active Steering Assist does take a little getting used too, but once you have, it ceases to feel as though it has a mind of its own! One thing you do have to get into the habit of is always using the indicator when you wish to change lane on a motorway, otherwise the automation will gently fight you.
I want want want want want the new adaptive led lights. They are amazing. I got flashed a few times by blinded people but wow are they good.
Again, I have the adaptive multi-beam LED lights on my W212 and I agree that they're stunningly good. You do have to remember that they're not perfect though, and there are circumstances where they won't detect another vehicle early enough to mask the relevant part of the beam pattern. I quickly got used to that and its not exactly difficult to flick them back to dipped beam when you need to, and 95% of the time they do their job faultlessly. I can honestly say that I never, ever, want to go back to driving a car with conventional headlamps after using the adaptive multi-beam LED system.

I wouldn't be without the Driving Assistance Package. Initially, the Distronic braking when the M25 came to a halt scared the life out of me and then I increased the distance in Distronic and all was well, although I am still not 100% confident that the car following will brake as well as the Merc. I only really use the Self Steer in stop go traffic.

360 Camera - has stopped me having to get out to check out my lousy parking

My C350e came with airmatic standard due to weight of the batteries over the rear wheels. I think it much better than my previous CLS (MickyMouse) AMG which I found to be more than a little hard as it was the basic suspension so I couldn't change it from 'sport'.

Panoramic roof - I am 6' 1" and as it opens outwardly it actually increases the headroom as well as making the car much more light and airy.

Tick as many boxes as your budget allows. You'll only regret it once you start living with the car.

Ant.

So the new led lights are 'amazing'. Presumably the people blinded by them would describe them rather differently.

I need to see them from another road users perspective. I suspect some flashes are just because the lights look bright but aren't actually shining in their face whilst at longer distances the camera can't determine how to box the car. Most flashes were from a distance away and by the time they were closer they were clearly being boxed out in darkness. I've been flashed in my w212 and those basic led lights only illuminate 50 feet of road, useless bloody things.

If the lights genuinely dazzle people I'll be more sparing in their use.

I wouldn't be without the Driving Assistance Package. Initially, the Distronic braking when the M25 came to a halt scared the life out of me and then I increased the distance in Distronic and all was well, although I am still not 100% confident that the car following will brake as well as the Merc. I only really use the Self Steer in stop go traffic.

360 Camera - has stopped me having to get out to check out my lousy parking

My C350e came with airmatic standard due to weight of the batteries over the rear wheels. I think it much better than my previous CLS (MickyMouse) AMG which I found to be more than a little hard as it was the basic suspension so I couldn't change it from 'sport'.

Panoramic roof - I am 6' 1" and as it opens outwardly it actually increases the headroom as well as making the car much more light and airy.

I read the car will only use 50% of max braking power so following cars should be well able to stop. I think the braking feels harder as it's not me doing it. Hoping I get used to it.

The new e does seem to ride really well on the 19 inch wheels in comfort. Sport gets a little choppy but felt less intrusive and hard than an audi. Henice wondering why airmatic is so good on the e when the regular adaptive dampers are so good.

I've 6 foot 4 with a fat **** and headroom is a little tight with pan roof but I've still space. I don't think it comes over far enough to the edge to be able to stick my head up into though!

Btw, 350e is a nice bit of kit.

I have the Driving Assistance Package on my W212 and the Active Steering Assist does take a little getting used too, but once you have, it ceases to feel as though it has a mind of its own! One thing you do have to get into the habit of is always using the indicator when you wish to change lane on a motorway, otherwise the automation will gently fight you.Again, I have the adaptive multi-beam LED lights on my W212 and I agree that they're stunningly good. You do have to remember that they're not perfect though, and there are circumstances where they won't detect another vehicle early enough to mask the relevant part of the beam pattern. I quickly got used to that and its not exactly difficult to flick them back to dipped beam when you need to, and 95% of the time they do their job faultlessly. I can honestly say that I never, ever, want to go back to driving a car with conventional headlamps after using the adaptive multi-beam LED system.

Using the indicator before changing lane. To me it's amazing you felt you had to mention that, it struck me as obvious I should tell the car I'm changing lane to stop it moaning. But I read an American story giving the system a good kicking complaining it would fight you on off ramps. Yeah, maybe you should indicate then you muppet or did you tick the telepathy option. They also moaned it wouldn't steer itself longer than a few seconds without touching the wheel. Seems a lot of people don't understand what the system is really designed for (though I understand mercs ads didn't help much in that regard).

Glad you got used to the system and thanks for confirming the lights are great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom