W213 Poor rear handling/fishtailing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hitesh

Car
E220d
I have just purchased 2019 e220d Prem Plus with 28k miles and really disappointed with road handling issues. The car tends to jump left to right from the rear when driving over the smallest pot holes/uneven road surface. technical term would be fishtailing/tramlining. The delaer has carried out 4 wheel geometry and assure me that it is all within spec.

Am I the only one with this issue? It has the big 20cinch multi spoke wheels.

I would be grateful for your responses.

Change the run flats to standard tyres?

our 2017 205 C Class estate does exactly the same. Will be ditching the run flats soon.

Am I the only one with this issue? It has the big 20cinch multi spoke wheels.

20" wheels ..... runflats?

If so there is very little give or compliance - so depending on the tyres fitted you may well find them unforgiving and jittery in some situations.

I had a BMW which could feel jittery at the rear in some bends - it never gave way badly but the rear would twitch suddenly with no warning. Changing to smaller rims for winter was transformational. Notionally lower grip from the winter tyres as the weather warmer in spring but the low speed corners felt a lot more tactile and I actually prefered them.

My CL does that as well, more obvious when the tyres need replacing. I heard people complaining about this at the dealerships.

Not likely with the age, but if you have standard suspension, it might be a shock on the way out. Very similar symptoms, and you would also expect it when crusing/rolling round a corner and if you go over a small road imperfections the rear will jump out in the same way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom