W213 Seat belt buckle slides down to the floor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickpb

Car
A180d Sport Executive
I have a 2017 W213 and amongst the (quite a few) annoying features is the fact that the seat belts do not have any buckle-stop buttons, so every time you take the seatbelt off, the buckle slides down to the floor. The buckle-stop button usually prevent this happening and I can't remember the last car I had without them.
Have I got a rogue car or is this the same on every W213 now?

PS> I can buy buttons on ebay very cheaply, but fitting them would, I'm sure, risk the integrity of the belt as I would have to make a hole in the belt to fit the button.

That sounds bad on any car never mind a supposedly premium brand.

I’m guessing you should no absolutely nothing apart from take it to the supplying dealer to get their opinion and look at othe 213’s to compare.

I certainly wouldn’t be carrying out a DIY eBay mod.

Ant.

My local leather trim shop has the studs and tool to fit the studs - worth a call to your local one

I've had a look at a few cars on autotrader and they do appear to have the buckle stops. It could be a batch that haven't been made correctly so I'd contact your dealer.

Did you have the car from new?

The stop buttons may have fallen off?

If so there will be a tiny hole in the belt where they once were.

risk the integrity of the belt as I would have to make a hole in the belt to fit the button.
I put buttons on my W203. The belt is not damaged as the pin easily slips between the strands of the belt.

I had a stop button missing on the driver's seatbelt, when I bought my car, but I could see, where it was originally.
You don't actually cut a hole in the belt - just push aside threads and fit the female part of the button through.

Thanks for all the responses. I didn't have the car from new and I have looked and there is no hole in either driver or passenger seat belt.
The car is going in for a safety recall in a couple of weeks so I'll talk to the dealer and see what they say. If that fails (as I expect it will) then I'll see about fitting one myself - I didn't realise I can pay the webbing.

I'm certain the dealer will get them fitted for you. :)

These buttons are literally pennies, or £1 or so from Mb
You need to ‘cauterise’ it once fitted, I used a soldering iron to melt the plastic it’ll make sense when you look at it.
It fits between the threads and does NOT damage the belt

Creds to Karl as he is the one who taught me

Creds to KillerHERTZ as he is the one who taught me

Yep, coupe's with the arm which extend the belt to you have these break all the time, your parts dept will most likely have a bag of them under the counter.

I have a 2017 W213 and amongst the (quite a few) annoying features is the fact that the seat belts do not have any buckle-stop buttons, so every time you take the seatbelt off, the buckle slides down to the floor. The buckle-stop button usually prevent this happening and I can't remember the last car I had without them.
Have I got a rogue car or is this the same on every W213 now?

PS> I can buy buttons on ebay very cheaply, but fitting them would, I'm sure, risk the integrity of the belt as I would have to make a hole in the belt to fit the button.

Hmm I dunno if it helps, but I've had my W213 from new and it came with the studs in the belts already fitted. Maybe they missed it at build or they fell off. Odd that both sides would have the same fault though.

UPDATE: Took car in to the local MB dealer for the safety recall and asked them if they would put studs in for me, but also said I wasn't prepared to pay as I considered it a warranty issue. When they'd completed the work they gave me the 'Visual Health Check' sheet, and it had the seat belt buttons listed as being chargeable (£31.20). To their credit they didn't ask me for any money.
However they also noted that the first service was due in less than 3 months and asked me if I wanted to book it in now. The price they had 'quoted' on the sheet was a staggering £685.03 (Yes, six hundred and eighty five pounds!!).
I politely declined and will be visiting my friendly indy dealer (Tim Purslow).

UPDATE: Took car in to the local MB dealer for the safety recall and asked them if they would put studs in for me, but also said I wasn't prepared to pay as I considered it a warranty issue. When they'd completed the work they gave me the 'Visual Health Check' sheet, and it had the seat belt buttons listed as being chargeable (£31.20). To their credit they didn't ask me for any money.
However they also noted that the first service was due in less than 3 months and asked me if I wanted to book it in now. The price they had 'quoted' on the sheet was a staggering £685.03 (Yes, six hundred and eighty five pounds!!).
I politely declined and will be visiting my friendly indy dealer (Tim Purslow).
What service - A or B?

And was this for the service only - or were there additional items included (ATF, air/fuel filters, brake fluid, etc etc)?

As its a 2017 car and 3 months away from its first service, it shouldn't be needing ATF, air/fuel filters nor brake fluid etc yet.

Something is not quite right there.... the car would be due a Service A and even the most expensive dealer will charge half that. Can you post what exactly they proposed to do for this sum?

As above, there's a mistake somewhere with that quote.

Just checked what I paid for my last 4 services on my old E Class (W212 E63) and none of them were as much as that, including the B services with brake fluid changes.

An A service should be <£300 inclusive.

I'd be tempted to check with them again as I'd strongly recommend a main dealer service on what's basically a new car, for the Mobilo factor if nothing else.

Just on a side, my lad has just 'whacked' the rear middle seat belt retainer pin off my car, when fiddling about with the belt. Replacement from Merc themselves (via eBay) was £3.99 (inc P&P).

I tried both the original MB 'soldering' type, and some generic clip-on buttons from eBay, and found that the clip-on ones were much easier to fit and also looked smarter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom