W213 - six months on... mixed feelings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A fair question..:D I want to write down the mileage on the receipt after filling up. An old habit. If I am the passenger, the mileage is gone, before I get a chance.

Also, in the old car the button to mute the speakers or turn off the irritating spoken instructions was accessible to dirve ans passenger. Not it ison the right hand odd of the steering wheel.

This is not just a dislike of change. I think overall it is genuinely worst (not the drive of the car but everything else).

The silver volume rocker, down by the off switch on the centre console, also mutes through system is you press it. So no change there, easily accessable by a passanger.

last year on a few business trips to Europe my rental cars were MB , a few B class and the odd C class (I couldn't tell you which ones as I was not 'into' MB at that time)..anyway these were my first experiences of the 'ipad' thing sticking up on the dashboard. amongst other things I did notice the sat nav was a bit dim, as in slow , as in retarded.

Let me explain. Wherever I go in the world on business I take my TomTom with me and log in the name of the business I am visiting (not the address) into favourites.

Six months later I have to return, I jump in my MB rental car , get out , walk around the car to the side the steering wheel is on , get back in :D punch the name of the town my customer is in on the MB sat nav , then fire up the TomTom and select the name of my customer and set off.

On EVERY occasion the TomTom has been streets ahead of the MB system (see what I did there ?) In a number of cases (Belgium in particular) the MB was totally wrong and motorway junctions passed (at legal) speed before they even turned up on the screen (another bad joke there, did you spot it ?)

To be fair this happened with other makes of car as well, but I did note at the time that MB was the worst.

Another (sort of) related anecdote, the bl**dy volume control on Volvo , every time you adjust the radio volume via the steering wheel the level flashes up on the big screen and everyone in the car looks at it, to the point where my wife told me to stop buggering around with the radio as it was distracting her...I was driving !! :doh:

More gizmo's , more hassle.

My W212 shows the range.
When the low fuel warning comes on, I press okay with my thumb on the steering wheel, and it then reverts to show my range.
It only shows a "car with a petrol pump" after the available range has reduced to below 25km. (It starts at 60km).

No issues with that for me..:D

Yep. The low fuel warning like any warning is cleared by just hitting the OK key on the steering wheel.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

A fair question..:D I want to write down the mileage on the receipt after filling up. An old habit. If I am the passenger, the mileage is gone, before I get a chance.

Also, in the old car the button to mute the speakers or turn off the irritating spoken instructions was accessible to dirve ans passenger. Not it ison the right hand odd of the steering wheel.

This is not just a dislike of change. I think overall it is genuinely worst (not the drive of the car but everything else).

Hi, with Mercedes Me, that's done automatically every time you fill up. You can then use the app to track your mileage, price per litre and number of litres filled up.

My Mercedes me app doesn't have anything like that. For trips it only shows information since reset and the last journey. Nothing to allow me to record it or interrogate historical info. I'm using the android app

Nope, nothing. Only things that give me extra info are tyre pressures, remotely lock or unlock the car and trip information. There is no where to record or mess around with mpg. Perhaps w213 on the app doesn't give that feature.

Nope, nothing. Only things that give me extra info are tyre pressures, remotely lock or unlock the car and trip information. There is no where to record or mess around with mpg. Perhaps w213 on the app doesn't give that feature.

Mine's the same. I've got the android app, but I've also checked on Mercedes Me on my computer. Nothing where I can input fuel data. The app shows the current mileage - but that's only relevant for the OP's purpose if you check it as soon as you fuel.

Just drive the car.
We never used to have all this pointless info.
I have an S class.... Cruise control and heated seats, and obviously a radio is all you need.... The rest can wait.

If you're driving on fumes then the computer won't help anyway.

last year on a few business trips to Europe my rental cars were MB , a few B class and the odd C class (I couldn't tell you which ones as I was not 'into' MB at that time)..anyway these were my first experiences of the 'ipad' thing sticking up on the dashboard. amongst other things I did notice the sat nav was a bit dim, as in slow , as in retarded.

Let me explain. Wherever I go in the world on business I take my TomTom with me and log in the name of the business I am visiting (not the address) into favourites.

Six months later I have to return, I jump in my MB rental car , get out , walk around the car to the side the steering wheel is on , get back in :D punch the name of the town my customer is in on the MB sat nav , then fire up the TomTom and select the name of my customer and set off.

On EVERY occasion the TomTom has been streets ahead of the MB system (see what I did there ?) In a number of cases (Belgium in particular) the MB was totally wrong and motorway junctions passed (at legal) speed before they even turned up on the screen (another bad joke there, did you spot it ?)

To be fair this happened with other makes of car as well, but I did note at the time that MB was the worst.

Another (sort of) related anecdote, the bl**dy volume control on Volvo , every time you adjust the radio volume via the steering wheel the level flashes up on the big screen and everyone in the car looks at it, to the point where my wife told me to stop buggering around with the radio as it was distracting her...I was driving !! :doh:

More gizmo's , more hassle.

Strange one as I visit France 2 to 3 times a year and also take a TomTom more a belt and braces thing really because I am driving on my own.

Both my E Class cars Satnav have performed flawlessly and are on a par speed wise with the TomTom without the odd issue of signal drop out or occasional resets which all my TomToms have required on the odd occasion.

I only use the basic operations though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep. The low fuel warning like any warning is cleared by just hitting the OK key on the steering wheel.

Hi. The issue is not can you clear the warning. It is what is the remaining range available to the driver before the car conks out through lack of fuel.

When the tank is full and running out of fuel is not a risk, the vehicle displays the remaining range (under several different options, which I am quite capable of navigating).

Once the low fuel warning comes up, the range is no longer displayed, although it is obvious that this is when the remaining range is of greatest value to the driver. Those places where the range could previously be displayed no longer display the number of miles remaining. No amount of pushing buttons, clearing displays or changing setting will make my car show the remaining range at this point. AFAIAC this is a defective design, there no other possible explanation.

Last edited:
Hi, with Mercedes Me, that's done automatically every time you fill up. You can then use the app to track your mileage, price per litre and number of litres filled up.

Thanks. Will look at this, not used it so far but it sounds ideal.

Just drive the car.
We never used to have all this pointless info.
I have an S class.... Cruise control and heated seats, and obviously a radio is all you need.... The rest can wait.

If you're driving on fumes then the computer won't help anyway.

Good advice... but in that case give me back my basic contols, buttons, levers and knobs. :D

Hi. The issue is not can you clear the warning. It is what is the remaining range available to the driver before the car conks out through lack of fuel.

When the tank is full and running out of fuel is not a risk, the vehicle displays the remaining range (under several different options, which I am quite capable of navigating).

Once the low fuel warning comes up, the range is no longer displayed, although it is obvious that this is when the remaining range is of greatest value to the driver. Those places where the range could previously be displayed no longer display the number of miles remaining. No amount of pushing buttons, clearing displays or changing setting will make my car show the remaining range at this point. AFAIAC this is a defective design, there no other possible explanation.

This is the point I've tried to make. Surely it's designed this way to encourage you to refuel at the next opportunity.

So, basically cancel the warning, pull into the next fuel station. Job done. :thumb:

You've got a beautiful car, enjoy it and don't let these few niggles get to you.

My previous BMW showed range down to zero. Was actually fun as you could experiment and increase the range by doing things ( turn off a/c, alter driving style etc).

I'm with EnEm on this one, someone in a lab has tried to be cleaver and tried to fix something that was not broken

I agree too. My point is it's a very small issue that seems to be getting to him and somewhat spoiling his ownership of a great car.

Strange one as I visit France 2 to 3 times a year and also take a TomTom more a belt and braces thing really because I am driving on my own.

Both my E Class cars Satnav have performed flawlessly and are on a par speed wise with the TomTom without the odd issue of signal drop out or occasional resets which all my TomToms have required on the odd occasion.

I only use the basic operations though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It might be because they were rental cars that had basic package and never updated. Sold on before first service. No idea. It was actually 2015 (missed a year out !) But they were all pretty poor at the time.

On my 2006 C55 the orange warning lamp comes on and I can then select 'miles remaining' on my dashboard screen and it will display how many miles left (at current driving conditions) and I must admit it is pretty accurate. I almost found out the hard way but made it to the petrol station in time !!

It seems ,in this department, MB might have gone backwards a little on the newer cars.

My previous BMW showed range down to zero. Was actually fun as you could experiment and increase the range by doing things ( turn off a/c, alter driving style etc).

I'm with EnEm on this one, someone in a lab has tried to be cleaver and tried to fix something that was not broken

You can see what the range is for ages and when it first starts complaining about fuel it still shows the range. I've found that once it stops showing the range, it was thinking you had 90 miles left but really it's more like 40 (the mpg over estimates by a good 3mpg so that's over 40 phantom miles included in the range right there). And even then, you'd only get 40 on a run, not in stop start city traffic. With so little fuel left in the tank, minor changes to driving style, as you say, makes big differences to the range so you'd never want to hedge bets when the tank was that empty anyway. I think the way works is right and it discourages you from trying to get to near empty.

I don't see it as a problem at all and it's not great practice to run a fuel tank down to dregs anyway.

Also, is not like you need to be filling up that often that those last two or three litres makes a difference. I'm getting a true 50mpg average more or less so that's 700 miles between fill ups. Hell, i lived with the lorries on a 70 mile trip yesterday (traffic better then expected, no need to hurry so thought I'd experiment) and the car showed 70.6mpg when i arrived. Do that all the time and you'd nearly hit 1000 miles between fill ups.

Just come back to Merc from Range / Land Rover - computer is a nightmare - son has latest BMW 5 - much quicker and easier - Merc has too many 'layers'
Distance to empty used to be great on past cars - not this
Range Rover had a great app that recorded all my driving from A to B and kept info - superb for doing expenses
The build quality and fuel consumption however in Merc are much better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom