W213 Software Reboot disaster!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes we can fix it.

Call on 01276 474900 during office hours for an appointment.
I live in sweden šŸ˜Ŗ
But can you explain to ne what you will do to the car, is it only software update like the one how start this forum?
I hope you can help me.

Hi,
Just out of curiosity, what did you tell the merc dealer. Did you tell them what you did orā€¦?

Hi There,

New Member here so, go easy on me!

Iā€™m a proud owner of my first Mercedes after being with BMW for many years.

Last year I bought a low mileage 2017 w213 E220d AMG line premium in Kallaite Green which I love.

Over the last few days Iā€™d noticed that my Command Nav was all over the place glitching and positioning me just off the coast of Africa... I live in Coventry! It hasnā€™t bothered me too much as I use Apple car play 99% of time:

Today, when I got home I decided to reset the system using the usual command to try and fix the problem, it didn't work. I tried every trick I could find on this forum and on YouTube. On YouTube I came across a video of the ā€œengineersā€ software part of command and how to gain access to it watching a mirroring video as I thought that might help... hereā€™s the link
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

After finding the factory reset option I opted for it and reset. Big mistake!!! My car now has no parking sensors, no reverse camera, no digital clocks change option NO APPLE CAR PLAY, phone wonā€™t link... its basically ruined everything.

Iā€™m gutted and donā€™t have a clue how to fix it! Does anyone know what I can do? Iā€™m not overly fussed about the command nav I would just want my car back to how it was!

Thank you for reading.
I have done the same as you did and now my car is ruined too. Dont know what to do. Spoke to Mercedes commandonline but no luck, was told to take it to Mercedes dealership, now they will have to install some files apparently which got deleted when i reset the system. Would you suggest anything?
Thanks in advance

Hi There,

New Member here so, go easy on me!

Iā€™m a proud owner of my first Mercedes after being with BMW for many years.

Last year I bought a low mileage 2017 w213 E220d AMG line premium in Kallaite Green which I love.

Over the last few days Iā€™d noticed that my Command Nav was all over the place glitching and positioning me just off the coast of Africa... I live in Coventry! It hasnā€™t bothered me too much as I use Apple car play 99% of time:

Today, when I got home I decided to reset the system using the usual command to try and fix the problem, it didn't work. I tried every trick I could find on this forum and on YouTube. On YouTube I came across a video of the ā€œengineersā€ software part of command and how to gain access to it watching a mirroring video as I thought that might help... hereā€™s the link
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

After finding the factory reset option I opted for it and reset. Big mistake!!! My car now has no parking sensors, no reverse camera, no digital clocks change option NO APPLE CAR PLAY, phone wonā€™t link... its basically ruined everything.

Iā€™m gutted and donā€™t have a clue how to fix it! Does anyone know what I can do? Iā€™m not overly fussed about the command nav I would just want my car back to how it was!

Thank you for reading.
Sounds like originally you had a gps antenna issue which apparently (I could be wrong) is solved by replacing the antenna in the driverā€™s side mirror.

Now lives and learns - donā€™t go into engineering mode because apparently if you do and hit reset you have to manually code the system again telling it every module that it has like carplay etc etc etc.

Green is rare (but nice imo) in a w213 and congrats and enjoy when you get it all working again - always consult the forums before doing any tinkering you may be slightly unsure about might help diagnose / save you a potential headache.

I have done the same as you did and now my car is ruined too. Dont know what to do. Spoke to Mercedes commandonline but no luck, was told to take it to Mercedes dealership, now they will have to install some files apparently which got deleted when i reset the system. Would you suggest anything?
Thanks in advance
Comand online ltd (not Mercedes) would not have told you to go to a Mercedes dealer. Email me with your vin on [email protected] - you will need to visit Lightwater in Surrey though.

I find stuff like this pretty scary. What happened to old cars where you could pretty much fix anything with a lump hammer, a set of feeler gauges and some scraps of wire!! I cant see any modern cars becoming future classic cars.....failing, unfixable and unavailable ECUs and electronic components will kill 99% of them before that point!!
A friend Tesla just had to go in to have a software update......what was this crippling electrical fault that required a trip to the dealers I hear you ask???.....the glovebox would not open that's what.....it opens electronically from the touch screen ....and no other way. A case of tech for techs sake and no other reason if ever there was one!!!!

I find stuff like this pretty scary. What happened to old cars where you could pretty much fix anything with a lump hammer, a set of feeler gauges and some scraps of wire!! I cant see any modern cars becoming future classic cars.....failing, unfixable and unavailable ECUs and electronic components will kill 99% of them before that point!!
A friend Tesla just had to go in to have a software update......what was this crippling electrical fault that required a trip to the dealers I hear you ask???.....the glovebox would not open that's what.....it opens electronically from the touch screen ....and no other way. A case of tech for techs sake and no other reason if ever there was one!!!!
I hear you, and am inclined to agree with your point about them perhaps not being so sought after from a classical perspective. With regards to the ability to fix software based issues, they can become easier to resolve (sometimes) if you have access to compatible (usually dealer level) software and know/learn your way around that to diagnose and resolve issues, sometimes you can even program in additional features. With the amount of sensors in a lot of cars these days with good diagnostic software, it could become easier to diagnose/pinpoint any hardware issues that may arise (including remotely say for example). I guess the ā€˜annoyingā€™ thing here is that there are not really many set standards with regards to how manufacturers decide to design their software so the individual procedures to complete different tasks varies greatly across manufacturers and indeed models.

Me too! I had it done a few weeks ago but thought it best to post an outcome, just in case any other donuts like me to try to play Mercedes Engineer and loose!
What did you tell Mercedesā€™ the issue was ??im having very similar situation

Sorry to hear of your problems. I notice that your car is a 2017, so it can only be a a single digit number days out of warranty, ie it was registered in the first week of 2017. If so then there may be some goodwill available from Mercedes, so the sooner they look at it the more likely the6 are to offer goodwill.

Call CommandOnline on 01276 474900 and if they canā€™t help you to resolve it then quickly then speak to your Mercedes dealership quickly.to maximise the likehood of goodwill. Even under warranty though there is a possibility that fixing it would not be covered if they know that you accessed the engineering menu.

Hopefully it can be fixed quickly and easily. Good luck and donā€™t forget to come back and tell us the outcome.
Iā€™m having this same issue does any one know the best way to go around this with Mercedesā€™ and initially the cost ? I have mercedes break down and service plan if this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom