W213 Software Reboot disaster!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

McBenz

Car
W213 E220d AMG
Hi There,

New Member here so, go easy on me!

I’m a proud owner of my first Mercedes after being with BMW for many years.

Last year I bought a low mileage 2017 w213 E220d AMG line premium in Kallaite Green which I love.

Over the last few days I’d noticed that my Command Nav was all over the place glitching and positioning me just off the coast of Africa... I live in Coventry! It hasn’t bothered me too much as I use Apple car play 99% of time:

Today, when I got home I decided to reset the system using the usual command to try and fix the problem, it didn't work. I tried every trick I could find on this forum and on YouTube. On YouTube I came across a video of the “engineers” software part of command and how to gain access to it watching a mirroring video as I thought that might help... here’s the link
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

After finding the factory reset option I opted for it and reset. Big mistake!!! My car now has no parking sensors, no reverse camera, no digital clocks change option NO APPLE CAR PLAY, phone won’t link... its basically ruined everything.

I’m gutted and don’t have a clue how to fix it! Does anyone know what I can do? I’m not overly fussed about the command nav I would just want my car back to how it was!

Thank you for reading.

Give Comandonline a call and have your Vin# handy so they can see exactly what you have fitted to your car currently.
Catalog

I would first try a reboot. Disconnect the main battery for 10 minutes, reconnect and see if the functions return.
You may have to reset the windows and sunroof afterwards which is a simple operation.
I would suspect your GPS antenna has failed , hence seeing yourself in Africa:D
That too, a relatively easy repair at Comandonline.

Thanks for the reply.
I did see another thread on the antennas failing on the earlier e classes.... I suspect you’re right.

I will try the above tomorrow.

Thanks again

Is it not still under warranty?

Sorry to hear of your problems. I notice that your car is a 2017, so it can only be a a single digit number days out of warranty, ie it was registered in the first week of 2017. If so then there may be some goodwill available from Mercedes, so the sooner they look at it the more likely the6 are to offer goodwill.

Call CommandOnline on 01276 474900 and if they can’t help you to resolve it then quickly then speak to your Mercedes dealership quickly.to maximise the likehood of goodwill. Even under warranty though there is a possibility that fixing it would not be covered if they know that you accessed the engineering menu.

Hopefully it can be fixed quickly and easily. Good luck and don’t forget to come back and tell us the outcome.

It’s December 2016... just my luck.
I’m wait for Mercedes Coventry to open so I can call them and hopefully get them to look at it. I do have a care package with them so... fingers crossed!

I know that there will be a temptation, when asked what had happened, to say "It just stopped working" but it will save everyone much time and trouble (and ultimately the OP money) if he "fesses up" as to the sequence of events.

The dealer may take pity on him (once they stop laughing) and it will obviate the need for them to carry out unnecessary diagnostics to try to work out why the car did what it did all on its own.

It does not appear too good does it, however the initial fault was/is likely to be pointing towards the GPS aerial as mentioned previously. But the later faults seem to be more than the COMAND system itself, was the "reset" procedure carried out in accordance with what? Looks like the Front SAM might be playing up too.

Update. She’s booked in next Friday with Mercedes Coventry, usual £175 just to look at it and to tell me what’s wrong. Fingers crossed it’ll just be a plug in and update job.

It does not appear too good does it, however the initial fault was/is likely to be pointing towards the GPS aerial as mentioned previously. But the later faults seem to be more than the COMAND system itself, was the "reset" procedure carried out in accordance with what? Looks like the Front SAM might be playing up too.
I watched the above video, found the engineer suite on command and used the “factory reset” option. BIG mistake. My own stupidity will hopefully stop other naive people, like myself from doing so!

Me too! I had it done a few weeks ago but thought it best to post an outcome, just in case any other donuts like me to try to play Mercedes Engineer and loose!
Thanks for the update.

Hi There,

New Member here so, go easy on me!

I’m a proud owner of my first Mercedes after being with BMW for many years.

Last year I bought a low mileage 2017 w213 E220d AMG line premium in Kallaite Green which I love.

Over the last few days I’d noticed that my Command Nav was all over the place glitching and positioning me just off the coast of Africa... I live in Coventry! It hasn’t bothered me too much as I use Apple car play 99% of time:

Today, when I got home I decided to reset the system using the usual command to try and fix the problem, it didn't work. I tried every trick I could find on this forum and on YouTube. On YouTube I came across a video of the “engineers” software part of command and how to gain access to it watching a mirroring video as I thought that might help... here’s the link
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

After finding the factory reset option I opted for it and reset. Big mistake!!! My car now has no parking sensors, no reverse camera, no digital clocks change option NO APPLE CAR PLAY, phone won’t link... its basically ruined everything.

I’m gutted and don’t have a clue how to fix it! Does anyone know what I can do? I’m not overly fussed about the command nav I would just want my car back to how it was!

Thank you for reading.
I wish I would have read this before I reset my husband’s car. Now everything quit working, even the sound.

Its quite a common occurrence. We can fix it. 😁

Can you fix it or whar do you mean? 🤔🙂
Yes we can fix it.

Call on 01276 474900 during office hours for an appointment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom