W213 Stone Chips Hyacinth Red

Discussion in 'Bodywork' started by chris348, Jan 2, 2019.

1. chris348

chris348 New Member

Car:
    E Class 220D
    Good afternoon, sorry for this being my first post and having to ask a question, but, what is the best system to use when dealing with stone chips? I have owned our E220D AMG Line Estate for about 3 months, the car is coming up to 12 months in age. It is the Hyacinth Red which is stunning, but I have started to see stone chips on the leading edge and windrscreen pillars. I cant find anything like the old style paint stick but have seen a couple of "modern style" alternatives but i am unsure which way to head.

Could anyone please point me in the right direction please?

2. OP
    OP
    chris348

chris348 New Member

Car:
    E Class 220D
    Some random pics to help. 20181004_101756_resized.jpg 20181004_101817_resized.jpg 20181004_101838_resized.jpg 20181011_131751_resized.jpg

3. Neiltodd

Neiltodd Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    c63 amg estate
    Looks lovely but I can't see any chips

4. OP
    OP
    chris348

chris348 New Member

Car:
    E Class 220D
    Thank you, that pic was taken about a month ago. Some more miles done since these work taken :)

5. exvolvoman

exvolvoman Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2004 C180k Estate & Volvo V70 T5
    There are various products around, I've tried Chipex on mine, to be honest, wasn't that impressed, had better results by just using an aerosol touch up paint (colour matched and mixed by Border automotive in Shrewsbury), spraying it into the cap and applying with a small brush.

6. OP
    OP
    chris348

chris348 New Member

Car:
    E Class 220D
    Thanks for your thoughts exvolvoman. I was looking at the chipex solution as it seemed too easy to use, which to be honest concerned me.

7. OP
    OP
    chris348

chris348 New Member

Car:
    E Class 220D
    Have booked the car in through Mercedes Me and have also asked the dealers to have a look during the booking slot. See how good Mercedes are at the cover aspect...

8. Rorywquin

Rorywquin Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Facelift SL400 AMG Line
    Not being rude here but increase the distance from the car in-front of you. I've done 12,000 miles in my car and have 1 tiny chip (possibly from a car going in the opposite direction). I never have a problem with excessive chips on my cars as I do keep a minimum of a 2 sec gap whenever possible and usually more. My wife also leaves a good gap and her car is going on 4 years old and has no chips.

I got a kit from these guys below. Comes with a clear coat. Seems to have worked well. I read a tip somewhere to mix the colour and clear coat (50/50) and fill the chip with the mixture and it seems to have been quite effective - can't really notice the chip unless you know where to look. Mine took one application but deeper chips may require several applications . Kits are cheap enough as well.

Scratch Repair Kits & Paint Restorers | Car Touch Up Kits

BEA76 likes this.
  9. bluestreak

bluestreak Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2015 E63
    Lovely car! If you are a perfectionist then bumper needs to be resprayed. I wouldn't be able to tell how hard is it to do. I only hope that not as expensive as designo white!

These are large cars and stone chips will only get worse. The only graceful way to go about it is to get front protected with film.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

10. OP
    OP
    chris348

chris348 New Member

Car:
    E Class 220D
    Hi Bluestreak, thanks for the info. I drive the car on various roads, some being country and stone chipped, hence some of the chips etc i think. My only real concern is the "blistering" on the bonnet which I have asked Mercedes of Derby to address during its first service next week. :)