W213 Stone Chips Hyacinth Red

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris348

Car
E Class 220D
Good afternoon, sorry for this being my first post and having to ask a question, but, what is the best system to use when dealing with stone chips? I have owned our E220D AMG Line Estate for about 3 months, the car is coming up to 12 months in age. It is the Hyacinth Red which is stunning, but I have started to see stone chips on the leading edge and windrscreen pillars. I cant find anything like the old style paint stick but have seen a couple of "modern style" alternatives but i am unsure which way to head.

Could anyone please point me in the right direction please?

Thank you, that pic was taken about a month ago. Some more miles done since these work taken :)

There are various products around, I've tried Chipex on mine, to be honest, wasn't that impressed, had better results by just using an aerosol touch up paint (colour matched and mixed by Border automotive in Shrewsbury), spraying it into the cap and applying with a small brush.

Thanks for your thoughts exvolvoman. I was looking at the chipex solution as it seemed too easy to use, which to be honest concerned me.

Have booked the car in through Mercedes Me and have also asked the dealers to have a look during the booking slot. See how good Mercedes are at the cover aspect...

Not being rude here but increase the distance from the car in-front of you. I've done 12,000 miles in my car and have 1 tiny chip (possibly from a car going in the opposite direction). I never have a problem with excessive chips on my cars as I do keep a minimum of a 2 sec gap whenever possible and usually more. My wife also leaves a good gap and her car is going on 4 years old and has no chips.

I got a kit from these guys below. Comes with a clear coat. Seems to have worked well. I read a tip somewhere to mix the colour and clear coat (50/50) and fill the chip with the mixture and it seems to have been quite effective - can't really notice the chip unless you know where to look. Mine took one application but deeper chips may require several applications . Kits are cheap enough as well.

Scratch Repair Kits & Paint Restorers | Car Touch Up Kits

Good afternoon, sorry for this being my first post and having to ask a question, but, what is the best system to use when dealing with stone chips? I have owned our E220D AMG Line Estate for about 3 months, the car is coming up to 12 months in age. It is the Hyacinth Red which is stunning, but I have started to see stone chips on the leading edge and windrscreen pillars. I cant find anything like the old style paint stick but have seen a couple of "modern style" alternatives but i am unsure which way to head.

Could anyone please point me in the right direction please?
Lovely car! If you are a perfectionist then bumper needs to be resprayed. I wouldn't be able to tell how hard is it to do. I only hope that not as expensive as designo white!

These are large cars and stone chips will only get worse. The only graceful way to go about it is to get front protected with film.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Hi Bluestreak, thanks for the info. I drive the car on various roads, some being country and stone chipped, hence some of the chips etc i think. My only real concern is the "blistering" on the bonnet which I have asked Mercedes of Derby to address during its first service next week. :)

Hi Bluestreak, thanks for the info. I drive the car on various roads, some being country and stone chipped, hence some of the chips etc i think. My only real concern is the "blistering" on the bonnet which I have asked Mercedes of Derby to address during its first service next week. :)
Hi
The blistering, did you get this sorted.
Presumably this is different than the lacquer problems people with red Mercs have posted about on the forum?

Matched paint and a very fine brush from a proper art shop

Hi
The blistering, did you get this sorted.
Presumably this is different than the lacquer problems people with red Mercs have posted about on the forum?
I've not (yet) seen any reports of blistering with Designo Hyacinth Metallic, unlike Fire Opal Red of which there are several.

Good luck getting MB to deal with the blistering - which sounds like the clearcoat lifting away from the base colour coat. As your car is young and presumably MB serviced, you may have better luck than I've had with my 2008 car and laquer peeling on bonnet and roof, MB do not accept that it is a manufacturing defect and will not contribute to the cost of respraying bonnet and roof. See my thread on here, Carneol red lacquer peeling.

Apologies for not updating this. MB Derby believe the mark is due to a quote cigarette unquote being stubbed out on the bonnet ?? I mean, where do you go from there ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom