W213, subwoofer upgrade possible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PLuKE

Car
E220 Premium Plus
I have a courtesy car, new A Class, the stereo is great, small subwoofer in the boot.

I currently have an W213, with the standard stereo. From reading, I am lead to believe that the subwoofer/s are in the footwell/firewall.

Is there a direct replacement? I don't want to splice into any wiring or add anything else.

Thanks for you input.

Luke

The W213 without Burmeister has only 1 "woofer" (not a subwoofer really) in driver's footwell. Is pretty cheap and rubbish. Theres no wiring for the other side. The door speakers are also very low quality (about 4" mid and a tweeter). The single woofer is driven from a merged signal of left and right ..

We've done a number of upgrades replacing the woofers with a pair of better ones and adding wiring etc etc. The parts are expensive and its quite a lot of work ! If we're adding an amplifier there's even better woofers that can be used but they are dual-coil and need an amp to drive them.

Speak to Mark via www.comand.co.uk contact form ..

Cheers
Richard

PS, as you have Premium Plus you may have Burmeister (on W205/W253 range, (C/GLC) when you spec Premium Plus you got Burmeister, but they keep changing what they do on this ..)

R

PS, as you have Premium Plus you may have Burmeister (on W205/W253 range, (C/GLC) when you spec Premium Plus you got Burmeister, but they keep changing what they do on this ..)

R

Richard,
Without trying to hijack this thread, but where can I get a wiring diagram for the Burmeister system in my W205? What I am after doing is find the low power signal to the amp for the sub's so I can feed it to a dedicated aftermarket amp and 15" boxed Vibe subwoofer. TIA.

Hi
There isn't one (low level signal). Input to multi-channel Burmeister amp is over the MOST fibre optic network. Speaker level outputs.
You'll find the wiring diagram in WIS. You can subscribe to that for a day if you have a Ltd company. You may be able to persuade a dealer to print it out for you, or there's always eBay for a copy of WIS, although they are dodgy copies.
Richard

Hi
There isn't one (low level signal). Input to multi-channel Burmeister amp is over the MOST fibre optic network. Speaker level outputs.
You'll find the wiring diagram in WIS. You can subscribe to that for a day if you have a Ltd company. You may be able to persuade a dealer to print it out for you, or there's always eBay for a copy of WIS, although they are dodgy copies.
Richard

Thanks for the update;)

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Mines a W213, just the standard Stereo, quite a hit on the bass response, compared to coming from a BMW’s with the Harmon Kardon.

So there’s no plug and play subwoofer that can be used to add bass, and less distorting.

Many thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Mines a W213, just the standard Stereo, quite a hit on the bass response, compared to coming from a BMW’s with the Harmon Kardon.

So there’s no plug and play subwoofer that can be used to add bass, and less distorting.

Many thanks

No.

It requires cutting into the existing wiring and if have the boggo system, you will need to add amps or an active subwoofer into said wiring.

No.

It requires cutting into the existing wiring and if have the boggo system, you will need to add amps or an active subwoofer into said wiring.

Hmmm, I don't think I feel that brave, with a car such as this. Plus, I would need a location for an active sub, in the boot isn't an option, It has to look OEM.

Thanks for the advice!

Hi all,

Newbie here and new to MB cars too.

I’m a bit of a hifi and music saddo and some of the reason for buying a W213 is that it’s a great Hifi platform BUT MB don’t help.

Car is going into pro shop shortly to have frames made to put 6.5 inch JL C7s into both front footwells, C7 4 inchers into the doors and the tweets into the door frames. There’ll be Audisson 4s in the back doors and a JL 12 W7AE in the load bay. The latter will run from a 1.8Kw Audisson amp and the rest from 2 more smaller output amps through a processor. All the wiring will be new leaving the old stuff in place for the inevitable sale day.

Happy to tell anyone interested how it goes and share tips etc.

Following. About to pick up a w213 and interested in what can be done to bump sound q.

Hi all,

Newbie here and new to MB cars too.

I’m a bit of a hifi and music saddo and some of the reason for buying a W213 is that it’s a great Hifi platform BUT MB don’t help.

Car is going into pro shop shortly to have frames made to put 6.5 inch JL C7s into both front footwells, C7 4 inchers into the doors and the tweets into the door frames. There’ll be Audisson 4s in the back doors and a JL 12 W7AE in the load bay. The latter will run from a 1.8Kw Audisson amp and the rest from 2 more smaller output amps through a processor. All the wiring will be new leaving the old stuff in place for the inevitable sale day.

Happy to tell anyone interested how it goes and share tips etc.

I’d like to be kept posted on this!

Certainly. Going to take a little longer than expected as I’d ordered a220d estate with 4matic but when it arrived 3.5 months later it was 2wd so I’m waiting again. Same build going in though so I’ll post to this thread as and when.

Hi I’m reading this thread and would love someone to explain which two speakers I can put in the front foot wells to replace the one crap woofer.
I have replaced the front door speakers with Rainbow IL-C4 E components and I have a JBL CLUB AMPLIFIER. I want to add extra insulation as I go.
Can someone please give me tons of advice LOL
THANK EVERYONE
DAVE

From what my hifi guy told me...
The existing woofer is an 8inch unit but quite shallow so you’ll need something similar and there are a good few available at a range of prices if you search for shallow sub woofer.

There is however wiring for only the one there so if you want to put one on the other side you’ll need to get the wiring sorted and possibly get mounting cradles made up too. I think it likely that there is only the one outlet on the 20 head unit too so it may mean you’ll need an amp with enough channels and oomph etc. to drive them. Most of the shallow subs available will probably need that anyway if you’re going to get the kind of sound you’re probably looking for.

Careful, this can be a dreadfully expensive pursuit!

Thanks for the quick response Bertie,nowts simple. I’ve been told rainbow and Addison do plug and play speakers but I’ve also read they only suit left hand drives. Confusing

There’s a guy on eBay selling 8inch rainbow subs that are direct replacements, so three screws and the wires and you’re sorted. They come from Schweinfurt but if you called I’m sure they’d tell you about LHD etc. About £180 for the one DIY but you’re still left with just the one and the wiring issue if you want two.
May be best to go with one good 8 inch sub and a sensible sized amp; that would be easily as good as 2 little ones and justify the expense.
Would you like an intro to my car hifi man? One of the best in UK and happy to do so but he’s a bit of a Salome so watch your pockets!

Thanks Bertie,I’m going to look under the dash tomorrow to see how easy the second one will be to fit.I'm also considering rainbow coaxials in the rear doors and an under seat sub for the rear seats,as an alternative as it will be roughly the same cost(or perhaps both.
I’ll let you know how I get on.

I might be wrong on this but I understand the woofer is 6" on the C and E and only 8" on the S.

I’m still having trouble knowing what to do. There’s no room under the rear seat so it seems the simplest answer is to replace the sub in the footwell. I have emailed everyone in the country who sells rainbow or Audison to confirm if the subs definitely are plug and play. Guess what? Not one supplier has responded so I’m stuck in limbo. I’ve even tried Rainbow in Germany and two German suppliers and no responses. I’m beginning to think no one wants my money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom