W215 Audio killed - HELP!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davo

Car
2002 C270 CDI, 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera Sport
I recently bought a 2000 W215, lovely car, mettalic blue, in very good nick.

However, it came with no Nav CD (still on order) and the CD was reading as empty, even when it had disks in. I decided to take the Cd changer out and send it here for repair:

eBay link

After a bit of a struggle, I got the changer out, so far so good. Now, to my horror, the radio is completely mute! AGGGH! Comand reports no CD changer present, OK, and the tuner is tuning into stations OK. There is a mute switch I know, but on or off makes no difference. :(

The changer is next to a big heatsink hat I assume is the amp, but the wires are in place to that, the only thing I disconnected was the electrical supple to the Cd and a fibre optic lead. I would out it back and see if the CD has to be there (unlikely) but the leads are so short I'm damned if I could see how I will reconnect, short of removing the amp, which doesnt look easy.

I assume, but don't know, that when I get the disk, the satnav will have lost its voice too.

Informed help is urgently sought, in the absence of the CD, the radio was the one thing keeping me sane, and keeping my mind off the mpg. At least I can listen out for the V8 now, but it's very muted.

Sorry for the double post, but does the tuner send its output to the amp optically, by any chance? If so I could understand that unplugging the Cd may interrupt things - there are two cables on the fibre optic lead, maybe it comes from the tuner, into the Cd, then out again to the amp?

Clutching at straws maybe, I just dont want to face that I might have killed the amp - though I dont see how, as all was switched off while I took the CD changer out. The CD changer is MC3198, btw.

Last edited:
You can buy a fibre optic loop from mb. Or just wait till you get the changer back. The information on fibre optics is daisy chained, hence your loss of audio.

Thanks for that. Afer taking the changer apart (and fixing nothing) I put it back inline today, as I want some sounds over the weekend, I'll send it off next week.

Lo and behold, my radio works again! :) A huge relief, I was thinking of the megabucks a new amp would cost.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom