W215 CL500 Flat Battery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ingham billy

Car
2002 cl 500
Hi everyone yesterday I had a flat battery on my 2002 Cl500, I charged the battery and on starting the car I had two faults show up ,BAS problem and ESP problem also the ABS light has come on.Are these genuine faults or caused by taking thee battery off ,there were no faults before the flat battery,hope you can help thankyou Billy

Try turning the steering wheel lock to lock 3 or 4 times.

Hi all since recharging the battery,took it out for a drive today and the gear box seems to be stuck in a low gear,and it will not allow me to change between S and W,is this another reset that needs doing (hopefully something easy)

Limp mode

Looks like you're in limp mode. Any error messages showing on the display?

Was it like this from start today?

Going back to the use of the charger, was it a modern "smart" charger, or was it an old fashioned (simple) charger?

Hi it was a very old fashioned charger ,no error messages but engine manegment light has come on,yes has been like it from first start up after refitting the battery ,P R N and D all show up on dash but cant change between S and W

Limp mode.

Looks like the 'Putor has thrown a wobbly and put you in Limp mode to protect the car from damage - hence the engine management message.

I'll defer to much Wiser Counsel on this board, but at first glance, I'd say you need some error codes cleared by a Star Computer plug in.

In general, for the future, modern Mercs need modern trickle chargers (which way more clever than their owners). Old fashioned chargers chuck too much charge down the line and mess up the control systems. (A more sophisticated explanation is available....)

Hi thanks for that will have to purchase a modern charger mine was bought in approx. 1980 so has earned its keep ,quick update took the car out for a quick run after work tonight still no gear change but the management light has now gone out

Ctek mxs 5.0

CTEK-MXS-5.0V2.jpg

Do you own research to work this through, but this is a very popular charger.

CTEK-MXS-5.0V2.jpg

Do you own research to work this through, but this is a very popular charger.

Another vote for Ctek chargers, not the cheapest but good kit. Apparently the 'official' MB branded charger is in fact a Ctek. they are also popular with the occasional drive supercar mob Ferrarri, Lambo. The 6v units with the Harley Davidson folks.

Left my W211 on the drive for 4 weeks over Christmas, came home opened boot plugged Ctek in and charged for 8-9 hours back to 100% - started first time, NO error messages. :D

Me I got mine for the caravan leisure battery...

I wonder whether we're misleading the OP, here.

I agree that a modern charger is required (and the CTEK 5.0 is lovely) if you are charging the battery on the car.

The OP tells us he took the battery off, charged it and refitted it. With just the battery connected, any old 12V charger (if it's working right) should be fine, no? Any odd voltages and spikes will not be "seen" by the car's systems.

I wonder whether we're misleading the OP, here.

I agree that a modern charger is required (and the CTEK 5.0 is lovely) if you are charging the battery on the car.

The OP tells us he took the battery off, charged it and refitted it. With just the battery connected, any old 12V charger (if it's working right) should be fine, no? Any odd voltages and spikes will not be "seen" by the car's systems.

Good point, if the battery was charged off the car then it's not the charger.

David404 said:
The 6v units with the Harley Davidson folks. :D

What??

Why would the Harley guys want a 6volt charger? I'm sure I'm missing something here :)

Ah. Forgive me. I thought they had been 12 volt for around 50 years with the introduction of the Electra glide.

I am "lucky" enough to have a twin battery car for the first time - would the trickle-charger go on the starter battery or the aux in the boot?
Perhaps one feeds into the other through the system if the other is charged??
Look forward to hearing back from those more experienced in the joys of electrics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom