W215 CL500 not firing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimmymidnight

Car
W221 S350L
Hello, drove my CL to my local doctors, parked up for about 15 minutes, and then when I went to restart it it just kept ticking over and over but not firing... I had to wait about half an hour before it finally started but now the engine management light is on.

I've looked up and the common response is the crank shaft sensor? Is this the most likely problem, and roughly how much is a repair going to hurt wallet?

Any help will be very much appreciated!

James

If it is the CPS, it is a reasonably cheap and simple replacement.

Your symptoms do point to that as well.

Thanks Sp!ke, i'll hopefully get it over to my mates garage in the week so he can run the diagnostics on it, and if thats just the case then relatively happy days! Typical though, I had such a good day in yesterday over at MBworld and it goes and packs up today - it probably heard what I was thinking about all the E63's that were for sale there!

Yea crank position sensor... I had the same in mine, 10 mins to fit and you will be off!

I was a little unlucky, my CPS was seized and couldnt be removed from the top/outside. I had to remove the gearbox and remove it from the inside. A simple job that turned into a real headache on the driveway.

I was a little unlucky, my CPS was seized and couldnt be removed from the top/outside. I had to remove the gearbox and remove it from the inside. A simple job that turned into a real headache on the driveway.

That is about as unlucky as you can get :(! Mine was so easy, literally came straight off and went straight on! I dont have the biggest hands which probably helped aswell!

That is about as unlucky as you can get :(! Mine was so easy, literally came straight off and went straight on! I dont have the biggest hands which probably helped aswell!

A definite learning moment. I had never done a gearbox job this big on the driveway before. Not only was the CPS seized but the gearbox bolts had corroded quite badly too (car lived on the South coast for a few years) and were a complete PITA to undo. All this while working on improvised axle stands. :doh:

New part ordered and also found an online guide to fitting. Should hopefully have this done by Easter lunch at the weekend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom