W215 CL500 strut dust covers split

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scottswatches

Car
2004 500CL, plus a 2016 Skoda Superb
I've searched but couldn't find the answers. Hopefully you can help

My 2004 car is due the MOT soon, and I have noticed the dust covers are split over the suspension struts. Is this an MOT failure, and can they be replaced without dropping the suspension?

I have seen some £35 ones on eBay, but if fitting is going to be very expensive then I might be tempted to get genuine items (but I haven't priced those yet! o_O)

Does your car have the ABC ie hydraulic system or the later one which I think is electric?

Oh thanks I thought later did not have abc, and it was a different system completely.

I understand rubber dust covers are bonded to top of strut and not a replaceable item, if you can source them on e bay can you post supplier on here?

I am sure I will need them at some time:oops:

Thanks had a look on website, sure they are for an axle? Might be each.

If you need to make new rubber bushes for the top of the mounting ie inside the engine compartment, check car when on trolley jack, can you see a gap underneath the rubber washer? There is a plastic electrical connector then a steel Bush then a heavy rubber washer which sits onto the inner wing.
If you need 10mm thick rubber I have some to spare, I will post foc for a donation, on your conscience, to British heart foundation.

In Spain at moment, return to uk on 6th October, too cold and windy in Scotland just now, it is 32 degrees here, pm me if you want the rubber sheet.

Rear struts are easy to remove - three bolts on top of the strut, one attaching the strut to the lower arm and then the hydraulic line quick release.

Front ones are the same in principle however can be a ball ache where the Allen key nuts attaching them to the bottom arm get stuck.

I don’t believe they are an MOT fail, mine were split for years and went through MOTs fine.

The dust covers aren't bonded to the struts - they just have crimp ring clips at the top and bottom (I can't remember the dimensions off the top of my head)

Just to conclude this thread - the car passed the MOT with just discs and brake pipe advisories (discs as it hasn't been used much I think) so the dust covers are not required for the MOT.

I'm very happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom