W215 ICE new headunit questions

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Scottswatches, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Scottswatches

Scottswatches New Member

Car:
    2004 500CL, plus a 2016 Skoda Superb
    My 2004 CL500 is wonderful, but the ICE is dated. The sat nav is hopeless, no bluetooth, no USB to charge my android phone and no DAB. They are the four things I need more than the DVD player, tape deck and AM radio!

I have looked at a PURE 600 bolt on system, but that doesn't fix the sat nav. And if I have that, plus a sat nav, plus a charger for my phone, I will have a wiring nightmare. So I have decided to replace the head unit with something like this

AVH-A3100DAB - Car Multimedia Receivers

that would give me DAB, USB out to charge my phone and then I can play music from the phone or use waze sat nav. But I do have some question, hence the plea for help.

The aerial for the DAB mounts to the inside of the windscreen, but would the glass in the CL create a problem with this? Earthing it on the aluminium body wouldn't help I guess

With COMAND removed, can you set the dashboard clock? Is there a workaround?

Any advice greatly appreciated

2. mattk1

mattk1 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CL55 AMG Kompressor, C350 CDI & Ducati 1299 Panigale
    Have a chat with the guys at Command in Lightwater, Surrey, they are brilliant at this kind of problem/question. They are a Forum sponsor and have been used by myself and many other members, all of which I believe would highly recommend them.

KR Matt

Alfie and Scottswatches like this.
  3. Flyinspanner

Flyinspanner Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W215 CL500, W168 A-140.
    Electricity will flow through aluminium ok. The body is earthed.

Some people have swapped out the head unit for other types - but you may need to rewire speakers and add an amp if your new unit doesn’t connect to the fibre optic system your car has.

4. Flyinspanner

Car:
    W215 CL500, W168 A-140.
    You could look at GLKs thread
    Aftermarket HU considerations

And also search renault12 as I think he did it too

If yours is the facelift with the wider ICE screen, you can get an Xtrons unit specific to your model, brings functionality bang up to date, and to can add reverse cameras/ DAB.

GLK and Scottswatches like this.
  5. Flyinspanner

Car:
    W215 CL500, W168 A-140.
  6. OP
    OP
    Scottswatches

Scottswatches New Member

Car:
    2004 500CL, plus a 2016 Skoda Superb
    Xtrons have confirmed they do not have a head unit compatible with the W215 at the moment, and the fibre optic wiring means it might be a PITA and very expensive to retrofit another system. In that case I will look at a PURE 600 add on system that sends DAB via the unused FM frequencies and includes bluetooth.

Thanks for you help

7. GLK

GLK Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A200 Sports Coupé C169
  8. popuptoaster

popuptoaster Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2000 E55 AMG Estate
    I have an Xtrons TE706PL in my W210 as they didn't do a specific one for my car (to old I suspect) very happy with it. It was slightly smaller than the original COMAND 2 unit but I 3D printed a surround to fill in the gap and it looks great.

'scuse the reflections it was really sunny the day I fitted it, I've also reprinted the surround since this pic so that gap down the side is no longer there, the sun had warped it where it was laying on the seat with stuff on it while i was fitting it.

I had to fit a roof antenna for DAB, the windscreen one was blocked I think by the IR glass in my car.

P.S. I can no longer set my digital dash clock, apparently can be cured with STAR but i don't know anyone with access to it so it can wait until i need a visit anyway.

Attached Files:

GLK likes this.