W215 Pad removal procedure?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Needacupatea

Car
2001 CL55
Hi!

I have had a search but can't find this - hope that isn't just due to operator error!

I have recently got a CL55 AMG and seem to have a bit of a squeal from the brakes (only notice it with all the windows down in the current weather!). Have had a look and the pads still seem to have plenty of friction material on them, so guessing the pads/callipers need a bit of a clean and maybe a little copper grease or that lovely blue stuff (I have both so opinions also welcome).

Whilst having a look, I was not exactly sure how you are meant to remove the pads - do callipers come off or do the pads just come out of the top? In my defence, it was getting dark at the time so couldn't really see well what was what! Also, not sure if it is front or back, so are both basically the same?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Neil

There are a couple of pins going through the caliber you need to knock out to release the pad. Mine were seriously stuck and some people have to cut them in half to release them!

Thanks for that!

I had a look tonight and as you suggest.. those pins are not going anywhere fast! Really don't get how a set of pins can spin freely (well OK with a pair of pliers, but no force required) yet will resist so well any attempt to push them out!

However I think I have managed to sort the squeal with a little copper grease and some cotton buds! Having eased the pads back, I then pushed them up against the disc and worked a cotton bud coated in grease between pad and piston.. quick test drive seems to indicate that I have hit the spot!

Anyone with more ideas how to get the pins out please do let me know!!

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom