W215 valve block DIY repair (Surrey/Hampshire)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got around to taking some photos, we had some sunshine today and for once it wasn't ruined by the rain!

UYzX422.jpg

TjtIocK.jpg

Y834T9R.jpg

CaE8GBO.jpg

Last edited:
Very, very nice indeed, albeit from a totally unbiased observer :D

Matt

Hi 'the88g', can you get to the GTG @ Brooklands on 31st Jan? It's always nice to meet new members, especially those with impeccable vehicle taste :D

Matt

Dang, that sounds awesome. I might have to pass on this occasion as I will be in Bucks Saturday night, but will see if I can be up early Sunday and get back to Surrey.

Are you in Guildford? I work at the University of Surrey. Maybe you can take me for a ride in your CL sometime :D I think the ride comfort on mine is questionable and would like something to compare it to. Yesterday I had all my arms, ball joints and bushings checked and still I feel a knock in the steering.

It is a strange combination of really smooth and yet still feeling vibration and knocks in the steering wheel and pedals.

Last edited:
Hi, I live along the Hogsback so not far at all, and yes more than welcome to have go of the 'old girl'.

Matt

Could be Engine and Gearbox mounts.

I can refurbish both front and rear valve-blocks for you with correct size 'O' rings using the correct material, provided that there is not pitting or scoring within the blocks itself. If the solenoids are OK, then its very straight forward.
How is your hydraulic fluid? Clean??? If not, you will also need 8-10 litres of CHF11s and two filters. One micron filter for the suspension side and another paper filter for the power steering side. Each valve-block service including removal and fitting takes about 2 1/2 hours. Therefore front and back will take about 5 hours.
If you add the time to flush the system, it is another hour.
Unfortunately, I'm in Oxford and only available weekends. I could get to you thou.
Cleaning fluids and seals for both would only cost about £50.
If you are flushing the hyd oil with 8 litres cost £72 - £80 (10 litres £89 - £100)
Filters (must be from Mercedes only) and they cost about £48 & £12 = £60
Labour and expertise is the main bit (6 hours)
5 hours @ £60 / hr = £300 for both blocks. £360 flush included. Travel cost £??
Hope this gives you an idea :)
Hi,
I need the front valve block cleaned and rebuilt on my CL500. Do you still carry out this procedure?

Hi Kev01,

I just read your post regarding the dropping of the front passenger side suspension and was wondering how you went about getting this fixed? I am experiencing the same issue and don't know where to start.

ABC Hydraulic Valve Block Repair Rebuild

HYDRAULIC SUSPENSION RIDE HEIGHT DROP - SUCCESSFUL REPAIR
Member the88g contacted me by email, concerning both Front and Rear ride height drop on his Mercedes CL.
If the car was parked and left off, the suspension would drop in height on one side after about 30 minutes. . . Not good, so we immediately scheduled a repair, date and time.
Member the88g promptly showed up in his beautiful 2003 Jet Black CL 55 AMG with lush light Cream interior (jealous envy – mine is a simple CL500).
The job involved removal, rebuild and reinstallation of both Front and Rear Valve Blocks starting from the rear and finishing off with the front.
Total time taken was six (6) hours working flat out with only one 15 minute break.
After the rebuild, member the88g confirmed that the ride quality immediately became firmer, sportier, surefooted and more responsive.:thumb:
The next day after the car had now been left parked for several hours, member the88g got back to me and also confirmed that there was no drop in the ride height to the front and back suspension system.:thumb:
He also gave me a pat on the back with a few comments on this forum. THANKS:thumb:
The job entailed removal of both valve blocks, cleaning, checking their integrity, solenoid spring adjustment, replacement of all O-rings, rebuild, reinstallation, bleeding and testing.
With both Valve Blocks rebuilt, they should be good for well over five (5) years if the hydraulic system is maintained at working levels and kept clean.

I have advised member the88g to run the car for 200 miles, flush the old oil using (8-10 litres) Pentosin CHF11s with new filters (hydraulic and power steering – merc only), get two syringes of Xado EX120 Revitalizant for Hydraulic Equipment and add one and a quarter syringe of Xado EX120 Revitalant into the Hydraulic Stem reservoir and the reaming three quarters into the Power Steering reservoir.

The car should then be linked up to MB Star (C3 or C4) Diagnostics to have both a Preload and Ride-Height setting check/adjustment on all four suspensions.
:doh: I completely forgot to take pictures of the car but I managed a few pictures of the valve blocks. Hopefully member the88g will post pictures of his ride so we can all drool over with envy :D.

To keep the V8 in the CL500/Cl55 AMG or V12 in the CL600/Cl63 AMG working at its best, then with your next engine oil and filter change I suggest adding one complete can of Xado AMC Stage 1 engine oil revitalizant for SUV . . .
Atomic Metal Conditioner Maximum SUV with 1 Stage Revitalizant is a 3-component product of a new generation specially formulated for anti-wear engine treatment in SUV’s, Light Trucks, Buses with oil system capacity up to 10 qt. Due to Revitalizant the product reduces friction, rebuilds worn metal in engine parts and creates protective coating against future wear, thus providing tools-free restoration and anti-wear protection. Product application prolongs the life of your engine and allows avoiding expensive repairs in the future. One treatment lasts for 60,000 miles.

Valve block on car
8zel9x.jpg

Valve block off
2i0g1tu.jpg

Solenoid Retain
67kqyu.jpg

Solenoid Height
fupfso.jpg

Valve block stripped
2rfack9.jpg

Valve block rebuilt 1
xpbjgz.jpg

Valve block rebuilt 2
2vhwt8z.jpg

Xado EX120 for Hydraulic System
jud7hu.jpg

Xado AMC for Engine Oil
16b0fia.jpg
Hello

I know its an old thread but I was wondering if you may be able to undertake a complete overhaul of the ABC on my 03 cl55 as well please?

Hello

I know its an old thread but I was wondering if you may be able to undertake a complete overhaul of the ABC on my 03 cl55 as well please?

Hasn’t been on here since April 22nd 2017.

Try sending a pm as it’ll go to his emails

Hasn’t been on here since April 22nd 2017.

Try sending a pm as it’ll go to his emails
Hello

Thanks for the reply.

I tried to send him an email, but the forum wouldn't allow me. Maybe due to the fact I'm a new member maybe?

Anyone have an email address for crownhouse perhaps?

Thanks

Hello

Thanks for the reply.

I tried to send him an email, but the forum wouldn't allow me. Maybe due to the fact I'm a new member maybe?

Anyone have an email address for crownhouse perhaps?

Thanks

He has less than 30 posts too, so he can’t recieve PM.

Try messaging an Admin, and requesting if they can email him?

As you know I had the work done by crownhouse and as such have his contact. I have emailed him to check the thread. Good luck mate :)

Interested in how this turns out too.

Think my ABC could do with an overhaul. Some dodgy handling going on at the rear of my CL500.

Cheers

Alex

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Interested in how this turns out too.

Think my ABC could do with an overhaul. Some dodgy handling going on at the rear of my CL500.

Cheers

Alex

Check your rear camber arms, very common issue with these!

Good shout, I'll have a look at them before doing anything rash.

Alex

As you know I had the work done by crownhouse and as such have his contact. I have emailed him to check the thread. Good luck mate :)
Many thanks "the88g" I have just picked up the message from crown house and will email him directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom