W216/W221 Climate Comfort W'screen - Clear Spots for GPS signal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sunnydude959

Car
Mercedes
Hi guys,

I have a Merc. CL500 (2013MY, 2014 registered) with climate comfort windscreen (the one that has a slight purple tint to it), and I had tried a friend's road angel for a couple of days, and..... it doesn't get a signal at all. Upon some investigation, it transpires that the infrared reflecting windscreen blocks the GPS signal to a point it cant get a reliable signal.

Anyway, I was told that there are sometimes some regions that allow for GPS signal passthrough... does anyone know where it would be on the S / CL class?

Thanks
Sunny

also, very annoyingly, I don't have NTG 4 or 4.5 or 4.7 or anything like that - otherwise I could have just loaded POIs in from pocketgpsworld

POI import isn't available in S and CL class with NTG 3 or NTG 3.5 - which is annoying, and hence I need a separate device

Not sure on your specific model but it is usually counter intuitive. The clear spots are normally denoted by being black and are usually around the rear view mirror on Mercs. Look for a a black area sometimes surrounded by black dots.

Page 413 Owners Manual INFRARED REFLECTIVE WINDSCREEN

I have just taken delivery of a W216 biturbo and as above. Without Night View Assist

Either side of the Rear View Mirror and Directly above the Comand Screen bottom of Windscreen. With Night View Assist just one side of the Rear View mirror and above the Comand Screen.

Hi Peter,

Congratulations on your W216, they're lovely cars. Is it the 4.7 biturbo or the CL63 5.5 biturbo?

Oh I feel a bit silly now! I should have checked the owners manual before posting. I thought that this was a bit more of an involved question so I automatically assumed that it wouldn't be in the manual... Thank you for the information nevertheless!

For some reason I have the night vision camera housing even though I don't have night vision camera... I've even got the pyramid-shaped cut out on the windscreen! Maybe they tried to simplify production near the end, or something...

Not a problem.
I did the same thing, only I bought a Road Angel for my W221 ( Pre Facelift ) to replace my very old Origin B2 camera detector only to find out it didn't work where the old B2 was located !! It didn't dawn on me that there where different blank places it would work until I phoned Angel and they suggested looking in my manual, took me for ever trying to find what section it was in !!.

My CL is the 2014 6.3 - 5.5 biturbo. Only had a couple of days, very pleased with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom