W218 250 CDi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keeperofthekeys

Car
E220 Cdi
Hi I'm new to my 2013 . Cls 250CDI.
I used to have a Jaguar 2.7XF.
And I found ylthe power in that grand, but it was a quiet engine even when you hit the throttle.
I have had the CLS 250 about a month now, and when I hit sport and press the pedal to the metal it roars like a sports car.
Is there anything I should look for, sports Exhaust, go faster bits. ?
Or is it actually just like this from the factory.
Thank you

You are not comparing like for like. Previously you had a V6 diesel, now you have a 4 cyl diesel. That is the difference. The Mercedes equivalent is the 3 litre V6, which is obviously smoother and quieter, as is the 4 cyl Mercedes engine when compared to the equivalent Jaguar engine.

Its used [ in lesser tune]in many of Mercedes commercial vehicles which should maybe tell you something!
ps it has 2 gear driven lanchester balancer shafts

I have a C250 cdi S204, not the same car but similar, yes the engine is not a quiet one. but its kind of nice when you get used to it, throaty rough sounding power.
They do go quite well. But as mentioned the chain and gears are all at the rear of the engine, along with the exhaust which runs down the right hand in front of your legs so you do hear a bit of noise. Enjoy :cool:

It might be worth just checking the engine mounts as well. My E250 sounded really quite throaty when i bought it (i liked it!), but turns out the engine mounts were shot. (Shame on me for not noticing!). When replaced it became really quite quiet. Not sure about the CLS but on the S212/W212 you can feel a noticeable vibration from the side of the transmission tunnel in the car when the mounts are poor. With new mounts there is no hint of vibration at all.

that's interesting since I am suspecting mine are worn. I get some vibration when slowing down felt through my left foot against to transmission tunnel wall, almost like I can feel the torque converter slowing to a holt. Its not brakes or drives shafts or anything like that and its more noticeable when its cold. once warm its less noticeable. I have inspected them as much as I can but cant see anything obvious. Can they just dry up and provide no damping?

Also if you don't mind me asking how much did it cost to replace them?
cheers

that's interesting since I am suspecting mine are worn. I get some vibration when slowing down felt through my left foot against to transmission tunnel wall, almost like I can feel the torque converter slowing to a holt. Its not brakes or drives shafts or anything like that and its more noticeable when its cold. once warm its less noticeable. I have inspected them as much as I can but cant see anything obvious. Can they just dry up and provide no damping?

Also if you don't mind me asking how much did it cost to replace them?
cheers
Sounds like they could be suspect. Visibly mine looked fine and even doing the engine wobble test it wasn't really conclusive. It was only when i had a courtesy car E250 when mine was in for a service i realised mine were shot. The courtesy car had just had new engine mounts! I had the engine mounts and transmission mount done on mine - it wasn't too bad, a few hundred £ from memory. (i just checked it was £165 labour and about £250 for the mounts (MB parts)). After they were done it was like a different car - really smooth and quiet and the gearchange seemed to be much smoother as well. So far the best money i have spent on the car. From what i read they can go from 50k miles. Mine was on 80k.

Thanks for the reply, I think you have convinced me :)
Mines on 106K so probably well past their best. I did have the gearbox mount done a while ago which made a tiny bit of difference.

Its in for its A service in October so I am going to ask them to do the engine mounts at the same time. Hopefully should restore its smooth running.

Cheers 👍

Thanks Lads for the replies.
All valid points and things to look out for and be aware of, it's actually a nice rumble that as I say I didn't have in the Jaguar.
Thank you .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom