W218 Broken rear spring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

673NN

Car
2014 CLS 250 CDi AMG Line Sport and 2016 E Class Convertible AMG Line Premium
Hi all,

Re 2014 CLS 250 CDi W218 23k miles.

Sitting in the car on the driveway getting ready to head off on a wee journey and there was a huge bang with a twang to the noise. I suspect the N/S rear spring has gone.

I can get two fingers between the wheel arch and tyre on the O/S . . . . but not the N/S.

Ill get it into the garage shortly for replacement. I usually by the part and the garage fits.

Can anyone recommend a spring make or springs to avoid?

Hi all,

Re 2014 CLS 250 CDi W218 23k miles.

Sitting in the car on the driveway getting ready to head off on a wee journey and there was a huge bang with a twang to the noise. I suspect the N/S rear spring has gone.

I can get two fingers between the wheel arch and tyre on the O/S . . . . but not the N/S.

Ill get it into the garage shortly for replacement. I usually by the part and the garage fits.

Can anyone recommend a spring make or springs to avoid?
Best to buy Merc springs as they'll be colour coded for the spec of the car and your better replacing the both whilst your there as other won't be too far behind I think my spring was £49 from Merc so not too bad

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Air or coil on the rear of the W218 ?

If coil then try MB Grangemouth for the parts as they were the cheapest for OEM springs when i replaced mine on the W219.

K

My advice would be to have them both replaced, and I would avoid MB ones personally. Both mine were found to be snapped at the rear, despite only having done 50k miles!

I put H&R springs on mine, albeit they are approx 25mm lower. Obviously I changed all 4 so the car sat level. Pricewise I think I paid
£160 ish for all 4, from a seller in Germany.

79919b4e-0337-4f8a-9ff0-ec152d69e897.jpeg KNJQE3257.jpeg

Thanks all for the replies. I did see the lowering springs options on ebay but I dont want to lower the car. Ive sent a message off to MB Newcastle (used them before and great service etc) with the car details and see if the confirm these are correct for my car.

After owning MGs for the past 13 years I thought my days of broken parts were gone :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom