W218 CLS - Airmatic or Steel Suspension?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ierton

Car
Volvo V60 T6 Recharge - BMW 1250GS
Any views on whether Airmatic is worth the premium or is the AMG steel suspension fine with the AMG Sport Pack and the 18" wheels? I don't like a jarring ride and the roads aren't the best here so avoiding the 19s.

I owned a airmatic 219, drove beautifullly. Driving a traditional spring setup on a big car after is a big step back imo.... you will miss the ride. I certainly do. Im currently looking for a replacement, airmatic is a must on a car that size.

I had a loaner 212 Sport on 18's with steel and I thought the ride was OK.

(I'd stepped out of a 211 on 17's with Air and am now in a 212 also on 17's/Air).

I'd expected to dislike the ride but didn't. But then again I tended to leave my 211 in Sport II and my 212 spends a lot of time in the equivalent setting.

Oddly enough it was the tyre roar from the rear that got to me* but then again it had all the eco stop start gubbins so probably had eco tyres made from recycled concrete.

*there was one advantage though; at high speeds the tyre road and wind roar began to drown out the noise of the engine. But that's not a very eco way of looking at it.

I had a 218 with the AMG Sport steel spring front / airmatic rear on the AMG Sport 19 wheels and the ride was great. I don't think full airmatic is needed. This was on a shooting brake x218

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I had a 218 with the AMG Sport steel spring front / airmatic rear on the AMG Sport 19 wheels and the ride was great. I don't think full airmatic is needed. This was on a shooting brake x218

I'd agree with that - I had a MY2015 Shooting Break and found the ride very good on 19's with springs up front and air on the rear.

I did try an Airmatic s/break before I bought it but couldn't really tell the difference. Maybe on the Coupe the difference would be more noticeable ?

I'd agree with that - I had a MY2015 Shooting Break and found the ride very good on 19's with springs up front and air on the rear.

I did try an Airmatic s/break before I bought it but couldn't really tell the difference. Maybe on the Coupe the difference would be more noticeable ?

I guess the real advantage of Airmatic in terms of ride is that you get an extra bit of suspension travel at low speeds.

I think the real advantage of Airmatic is at high speeds when the body control is fabulous in that you can be 4 up with a boot full of luggage and a roof box and it handles exactly the same.

But the original question was about ride.

I'm looking at the coupe so don't think airmatic is just a rear option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom