W219 Big Gremlins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriscls

Car
2005 CLS 500 V8
By next week my car will have had the below big components installed new within a year. Can I expect anything else on the same scale or am I allowed to enjoy it now?

-ECU (Electrohydraulic Unit) Tranny related
-SBC

I understand airmatic can be funny, but likely no where near as expensive to put right?

PS: A Maserati QP would have been less expensive to run so far. I'll def consider when buying new car.

IRRC the early airmatic cars had a relay that used to short out allowing the pump to run continuously till it burnt out- but I expect that was addressed by the time the CLS came out. If you have an early V8 petrol there is also the issue of the worn timing chain/timing sprockets Balancer shafts --- subject of law suits in the states. The issue is mainly discussed in terms of the V6 engine in the family but the v8 shares the same timing gear. Do a search on m272 How to interpret Balance Shaft Sprocket Engine Serial #? - Mercedes-Benz Forum
in your case M273 UP TO SERIAL NO 2739..30 088611

MB NOTICE in the states.
http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/aktion/Attachment.html?attachmentId=681441

Last edited:
IRRC the early airmatic cars had a relay that used to short out allowing the pump to run continuously till it burnt out- but I expect that was addressed by the time the CLS came out. If you have an early V8 petrol there is also the issue of the worn timing chain/timing sprockets Balancer shafts --- subject of law suits in the states. The issue is mainly discussed in terms of the V6 engine in the family but the v8 shares the same timing gear. Do a search on m272 How to interpret Balance Shaft Sprocket Engine Serial #? - Mercedes-Benz Forum
in your case M273 UP TO SERIAL NO 2739..30 088611

MB NOTICE in the states.
http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/aktion/Attachment.html?attachmentId=681441

Not sure if this is ok?

Engine Number: 113967 30 675159

Would appear that your engine is OK from its serial no. :thumb: Thing to look out for is the engine warning light coming on several times. Can initially be cancelled on Star but always comes back with increasing frequency as the fault develops.

ps there are of course many other faults that will cause the engine light to come on but its a combination of that and certain fault codes [ detailed in the last link] that gives the game away.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom