W219 CLS 63 Exhaust mod, require guidance.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jatboy

Car
AMG
Hi All.

I'm thinking of modifying the back boxes by removing the packing and sealing a few of the internal pipes in those back boxes, and also putting an X Pipe in place of the resonator in a bid to liberate a more C63 ASBO exhaust sound on demand. Has anyone done this or can recommend what would be the best simplist option for the W219 CLS 63 please ?

Thanks

Start messing with the back boxes and it will either be too loud or drone.
With a similar system to the E63 Biturbo, I would remove the resonator and replace with straight pipes.
It's not anti -social ,but much more vocal when on the gas. The cold starts are quite a bit louder too.

I think the resonator is put there to keep any drone at bay. Maybe a H/ Straight pipe instead of the resonator while still doing the back box mod. ??

W.r.t the back box mod, there is a renowned company that does exhaust, he is a one man outfit with a 3 month waiting list. The backbox thing I mentioned is what his Stage 1 option is. It is meant to liberate a pleasing increase in volume and tone. I think the company is called PCW or something similar. STAGE 2 is replacement of the resonator with a straight pipe.

Any W219 63 owners on here tried it ?

Thanks

I can confirm like Roger, has advised, there is zero drone with a resonator delete with straight pipes in place. On cold start on the bi-turbo it is really loud. Not so much on the N/A 6.2. on the 6.2 on normal throttle it's just slightly more noticeable. On heavy throttle on firm throttle it's 100 times better. It really does bring the exhaust note to life. The other things it does is the down shifts are much more pronounced as are upshifts. It's a great value for money mod.

This could well be not what your looking for. So it might be worth trying out your supposed methods on the exhaust note you require. Best of luck, I went rear box delete on an E55k with straight pipes and it was awesome loud but my God did it drone.

I've also had e55 with rear box baffling delete this was nice but only improve the sound slightly over stock.

Last edited:
@ Jatboy..you didn't mention whether you had the n/a or biturbo engine.

I thought that X pipe was much better than a H pipe for a V8 engine due to the “irregular” firing order.

Any exhaust experts out there care to clarify the point?

@ Jatboy..you didn't mention whether you had the n/a or biturbo engine.
Yes it is the W219 6.2 n.a. that I have.

I read somewhere that putting an X pipe instead of the resonator could introduce drone. The resonator has a built in H pipe in its baffled design. That is why I suggested a H pipe in place of the resonator and then also the back backbox mod.

Can anyone confirm if the resonator delete alone brings out a sound more like a modded 6.2 C63 ?

Thanks

Yes it is the W219 6.2 n.a. that I have.

Can anyone confirm if the resonator delete alone brings out a sound more like a modded 6.2 C63 ?

Thanks
Tom (cls350) can confirm that for you as he has the 6.2 n/a
I have the biturbo which has a different sound altogether.

With a resonator delete with " straight pipes" replacing the Res, it's exactly the same AMG sound but more pronounced with mid to full throttle. Also downshifts and upshifts in S+ and manual gearbox settings. On the MCT transmission. I don't think the 7g non MCT produces the same pops and bangs on shifting. Like the MCT does.

It's basically the same exhaust note as a stock system but more pronounced. It may not be for you. You could well want a more raucous exhaust sound. I'm a bit of an exhaust mod type of a nut. And the Res delete is perfect for me. As just normal day to day driving you don't notice the exhaust mods as much.

I have heard the 6.2 with the X pipe to me it wasn't loud enough. The straight pipes give just the exhaust sound I was after.

Like said it's very personal to what an owner requires. Deleting back boxes changes the tone altogether, much for the non AMG sound in my opinion.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Stock cold start

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Resonator delete cold start.

I will do one or two videos with revving and drive by if I get a chance over the next week or so.

Thanks Tom, very helpful. Looking forward to the revving vids too.

Is it possible to remap in pops and cracks in the sound on the n.a ?

Is it possible to remap in pops and cracks in the sound on the n.a ?

I believe it can be, but I'm not 100% sure tbh.

I went the rear silencer delete route & it droned like hell. I've since had J-pipes fitted with short straight through rear silencers & it's all but eliminated the drone. That's with the resonator still in place. So it's been a very convoluted route but if I were to do it again I'd go the resonator delete route first as the others have said & take it from there.

Just replace the rear boxes with C63 ones.

easiest option, id leave the cats and middle silencer too.

Headers will add to the sound and give it the correct amount of rumble, this is the setup i had in my e55 and it was spot on.

I had the C63 boxes on my e55 the hangers have to be adjusted to fit correctly. I think It improved the sound of the stock e55 system. But a resonator delete with straight pipes is the most cost effective, for sound increase that can be had on the 6.2 N/A engine.

And it doesn't drone one iota.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom