W219 CLS antenna amplifier (central locking, heating)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MRkCLS

Car
Mercedes-Benz CLS w219 350 CGI, Mazda Mx-3 2.5 V6 KLZE
Hi,

I've got an issue with central locking. Both key fobs had the batteries replaced, but that didn't help. I can still start the engine, however I'm unable to un/lock the car with a key.

It was an intermittent issue for a long while, however it stopped working completely now. Could it be related to antenna amplifier? It was diagnosed faulty (open circuit) since my rear window heating stopped working some time ago. I read that it could be also responsible for central locking.
I also found out that TV doesn't work too (but I'm not sure when did it stop because I haven't used it for years).

Is it possible that the antenna amplifier was working partially and now is off completely?
Regards

not yet. I've booked a STAT diagnosis at listers next Thursday (they couldn't do it any sooner). The antenna amplifier is still faulty ,but I wonder if it gone worse or is it something else.. I will add that I checked the 7,5 AMP fuse at the boot (fuse no.8) and it's ok. Car locks and unlocks from inside ,so there is some interruption with the radio/irda signal from both key fobs. Replacing antenna amplifier costs nearly 400 GBP (nearly 300 for the part itself) and I couldn't find an aftermarket one, so I've got a choice of - let MB do it / or get used part and do it myself. There are non on eBay at the moment, so I sent few messages to guys who listed breaking CLS, but nobody has replied so far. I could order it for example from Germany and wait a bit, but if it goes faulty in a week or month time, I will be screwed.

However I've got a feeling that it is something else that broke down now.

So I went to Listers to have the antenna amplifier replaced and they said it is not that...They found out it's a broken connector at the rear glass that caused the heating to stop working. Antenna amp seems to be ok then, but the thing is...replacing the rear window cost twice the price of the amp (nearly 800).

The question is..is there any way to fix it?

I guess soldering is not the best idea? since the glass may break or the solder may not be solid. Perhaps some kind of conductive glue?

btw. central locking is fixed. that was an awkward moment when I went to collect my car and they said that they just changed the batteries in the key fob.. Because I did it myself - with brand new Duracell batteries with long expiry date. Main key worked for couple of weeks and the spare one for few days (put different batteries in the spare key), so I thought it is something else. Perhaps it was and it fixed somehow itself ;)

They also diagnosed my left side mirror (heating doesn't work + it doesn't want to unfold sometimes). They said it's the mirror cover that has to be replaced (I hope they meant the cover + wiring loom). I disassembled the cover ,disconnected the glass, motor, indicator etc. and I didn't find any broken wires, so I'm not sure what's wrong with it. The only bit I couldn't check was the hinge and I wouldn't be surprised if it broke over there (since that's the movable piece).

did a child not throw a stone and smash the rear glass and force you to make an insurance claim and only pay the excess . ??

Did you unravel the loom? The wire may be broken but hidden by the tape. That was the case on my car. In fact a couple of wires needed attention.

You can get silver paint to fix broken elements in windows. Try that !

R

did a child not throw a stone and smash the rear glass and force you to make an insurance claim and only pay the excess . ??

haha I was thinking about it...I talked to insurance company and autoglass ,but obviously they said that if it's not smashed, they are not going to replace it.
So I thought that perhaps I will try to resolder it and if the glass breaks...ooops...

I bought

Highly Conductive Wire Glue / Paint for AC/DC - NO Soldering Iron - free post | eBay

so once it comes, I will give it a try. Perhaps I will order that adhesive tab. I bought the grid lines repair kit before because firstly I thought it's just that.

I could actually get an used rear window from eBay (there is one for 60 quid and one for 100), but the question is...are the electrical connectors the same on each CLS?

Did you unravel the loom? The wire may be broken but hidden by the tape. That was the case on my car. In fact a couple of wires needed attention.

I disassembled the side mirror and all wires were ok. The only part of the loom I couldn't check was where the mirror folds. I couldn't pull it out from that bit, so I left it as it is. The bad thing is...the indicator connector is snapped....I thought it was slightly pulled out, but it was half broken ,so when I tried to remove it, it broke completely. I was able to remove that broken bit of connector from the indicator and glued it with the other end, but then it didn't fit back :| I was so pis...ed off that I left it as it is. I hope they will replace the wiring loom along with the mirror cover, so it's going to be sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom