W219 CLS CD player kaput

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fivehunnit

Car
CLS63 AMG (W219)
Anyone had this issue? CD player has been a bit hit and miss ever since I got the car, sometimes it would start making a constant clunk clunk noise when apparently trying to load a disc, somethimes it would succeed, other times not, but today a new problem started, it was acting up on the way home, I get home and turn the engine off, 'what's that noise?' it now just makes a buzzing/groaning noise, no buttons light up to show there's CDs in the unit either, I wouldn't mind so much because I don't use it that often, it's the noise which is annoying.

Dump it and fit the storage box, about £15 in parts from your dealer.

Dump it and fit the storage box, about £15 in parts from your dealer.

How do I go about removing it? I read also that disconnecting it removes power from Comand?

How do I go about removing it? I read also that disconnecting it removes power from Comand?

Once you get the ash tray housing out, it's a couple of bolts underneath, disconnect the two power leads and the fibre optic cables, and then the complete unit with door etc will just pull out.

CD changer is just a few screws more and then the tray just slides in it's place. Refitting is reverse but you will need to join the two ends of the optic cable together with a purpose designed bit, I'll see if I can find the part number again, which will keep COMAND happy.

If you don't know how to get as far as the ashtray there are loads of guides about, but essentially it is gaitor off, unhook the front of the gear selector panel through the hole whilst pulling back and up on the front of it, it's a bit of a wrestle in the CLS, the E is much easier despite being mostly the same parts. The ash tray will then just lift out as a complete unit.

Once you get the ash tray housing out, it's a couple of bolts underneath, disconnect the two power leads and the fibre optic cables, and then the complete unit with door etc will just pull out.

CD changer is just a few screws more and then the tray just slides in it's place. Refitting is reverse but you will need to join the two ends of the optic cable together with a purpose designed bit, I'll see if I can find the part number again, which will keep COMAND happy.

If you don't know how to get as far as the ashtray there are loads of guides about, but essentially it is gaitor off, unhook the front of the gear selector panel through the hole whilst pulling back and up on the front of it, it's a bit of a wrestle in the CLS, the E is much easier despite being mostly the same parts. The ash tray will then just lift out as a complete unit.

Thanks for the info really appreciate it, I will probably attack it when I next get a day off, need to do the PCV valve soon as well, another annoying noise to knock off the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom