W219 CLS Xenon problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PhilG

Car
'08 S211 320 CDI Sport
Morning all, I've just replaced my D2S xenon bulbs for the second time in 12 months since owning the car. I've just bought the cheap ones on Amazon (£12/pair) and they seem fine, but if I sort them out I might get some Osrams.

Yesterday the bulb in the driver side which I replaced about a week ago didn't want to light up. Turned it on and off a few times and eventually it ignited. Is this likely to be the bulb or something else (ballast)? Thanks.

Hi Phil, to diagnose a dodgy bulb like that switch it to the other side, it will tell you if the ballast in the bad side is faulty

Hello there,
New to this site and I am having problems accessing the new members "sticky thread" link.
I have a 2005 350 CLS with a flickering offside indicator light (MOT fail), the dipped beams are fine until I change to full beam and everything on the offside even the fog light if switched to convenience mode will flicker too (currently switched off). I have changed the ballast unit, the ignitor, and the SAM, and all of the bulbs with no joy.
Any suggestions out there please.

Forgot to mention I have dropped the bumper and switched the headlight to the nearside to test it was not the headlight, all working fine.
Frustrated to say the least.

This sounds like an earthing problem. I' not familiar with your model but would be looking for a rusty/poor earth strap from either the ballast or the actual lamp unit.

Thank you Bruce,
I have tried the earth straps that I can find and have dropped them off, cleaned them and given them a going over with switch cleaner still issues.
I will go over them all again in case I have missed one. Looks like the 129 500 SL is going to be coming out for a spell.

Just saw this thread back up the top again - in my case it was just having the right 'knack' with the igniter module. Why do the bulbs always fail in the middle of winter?

Just saw this thread back up the top again - Why do the bulbs always fail in the middle of winter?

Because there is less daylight and they are used more?:rolleyes:

Hi,
There is a 5-6mm earth stud behind each of the headlamps on a CLS have you cleaned these up?

Hi,
There is a 5-6mm earth stud behind each of the headlamps on a CLS have you cleaned these up?
Hello There,

I have especially cleaned the one that has three tags attached to it (all brown wires). When you say behind the headlight where is that please just in case I am missing something really simple.
Thank you in advance.

Having completed this job last winter can you confirm you have definitely fitted them correctly?
They are not the easiest items to fit BUT can still work for a time if you fit them wrongly.
Obviously you need to be a contortionist to start with but I did find it took several attempts to fit properly....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom