W219 CLS500 Bi-Xenon swiveling lights (Adjust for European driving)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

greekCL

Car
Mercedes E55 W211 (2004), BMW 640d GC (2016), BMW 645Ci (2004), Mini Cooper D (2008))
Hello guys,

I have been trying to find the switch on my 2005 W219 CLS to convert to symmetrical beam pattern.
But I cannot locate it, does anyone have a picture or something to know what to look for?

My car has the Bi-Xenon swiveling dipped beam lights

When I had my CL500 the lever was quite easy to find and slide.

I booked for Monday to go to the dealer but however they had to advice me their hourly rate is £135+VAT ... which kind of sounds expensive... especially that I have to do it in 3 weeks when I come back to UK.

Cheers
Vasilis.

Don't go the dealer... £135 an hour... must be joking?

Any indie will do this in seconds... but if your having such an issue.. the stickers cost £3 on eBay. Look up Eurolites

Abs

I'm sure the CLS has levers inside the lights to change the beam pattern.
My W211 E class has to be adjusted with Star.

I'm sure the CLS has levers inside the lights to change the beam pattern.
My W211 E class has to be adjusted with Star.

That can't be right, my levers are inside the headlights to make it a flat beam pattern, so STAR is not needed.

The W219 does have the levers inside the headlamp, both halogen and bi-xenons versions

The W211 with halogens have two levers per lamp but only one lever per lamp needs to be adjusted, the other moves in unison
The W211 with bi-xenons has a single lever per lamp
The W211 with intelligent light system must be adjusted with STAR

The W219 bi-xenon lamp shown below

Attachments

• 219.jpg
    219.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
That clears things up.

The W211 E55 would be on point no.2 and the W211 E63 would be on point no.3.

Thank you the replies guys.
I will look in the lights tomorrow and locate the lever.

Cheers Whitenemesis the pictures are clearing things up :)

Don't go the dealer... £135 an hour... must be joking?

Any indie will do this in seconds... but if your having such an issue.. the stickers cost £3 on eBay. Look up Eurolites

Abs
I used these stick on jobbies a lot and always cursed how difficult they were to get off (cue loads of people still driving around with them on 6 months after they got back from their holiday).

I got fed up of the cost as I was back and forth to Europe almost every second week for work.

I bought what looked like Eurolights from Ebay and fitted them in my usual manner.

After a two hour drive to Folkstone (some rain) , they had fallen off !!

I had to buy an overpriced set at the terminal..grrrr.

Buyer beware.

I found the lever and flicked it. So job done. The problem is that on the driver side light the bulb retainer has come off... so I need to take the light out now in order to put it back in place!! aaarrgg

Regarding the Eurolights stickers etc... they do not work with Xenon lights as far as I know.

On the other hand my lights swivel around the corners .. so static stickers would not work even if they were for Xenons.

On a different w219 xenon note. Any recommendations for xenon bulb replacement. I like the xenon blue tint but not boy racer blue. Also don't want white. Don't want £300 bulbs but also not keen on £5 eBay knock offs

On a different w219 xenon note. Any recommendations for xenon bulb replacement. I like the xenon blue tint but not boy racer blue. Also don't want white. Don't want £300 bulbs but also not keen on £5 eBay knock offs

The car has from Factory Philips Xenarc D2S
I always go for Philips bulbs as they are excellent, I know you have to pay some more.

You can upgrade to the Philips X-tremeVision Gen2 85122XV2C1
or Philips Xenon WhiteVision Gen2 85122WHV2C1

I have installed X-treme Vision in a few of my past cars and I was really pleased with the output.

They are cheap about £115 from Germany, I usually buy them from Germany cheaper than UK ebay lol.

For our Lexus LS460 the pair of the bulbs come to £185 ... so the Mercedes Bulbs are cheap in comparison. :)

Cheers
Vasilis.

All done, thank you guys.
After sweating and swearing loads ... lol took half bumper out and the light out and clipped in the bulb retainer. It was not put on properly previously. That's the only reason I can see why it came off in the first place.

When I refitted everything back in the side light burned!! lol more xx words! lol and changed it.

The car has from Factory Philips Xenarc D2S
I always go for Philips bulbs as they are excellent, I know you have to pay some more.

You can upgrade to the Philips X-tremeVision Gen2 85122XV2C1
or Philips Xenon WhiteVision Gen2 85122WHV2C1

I have installed X-treme Vision in a few of my past cars and I was really pleased with the output.

They are cheap about £115 from Germany, I usually buy them from Germany cheaper than UK ebay lol.

For our Lexus LS460 the pair of the bulbs come to £185 ... so the Mercedes Bulbs are cheap in comparison. :)

Cheers
Vasilis.

Mercedes usually fit Osram and from what I've read it is generally agreed that they are these with MB coding...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0068M1DRS/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

Definitely look the same and a bargain for a pair, note 'pair' most sell as singles for the same or more each, they also won't be fake as they're Amazon's own supply.

They were out of stock when i needed some so got the Nightbreaker Unlimited instead, very happy with them, just very slightly warmer in colour.

If the 500 is anything like the 55, undo the screw and lift the airbox off its mounting and you can get to the nearside light easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom