W219 CLS55 - LED Daytime Running Lights DRL Mod

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Following on from my CLS55 AMG thread HERE Since owning my W209 I have wanted to update the front of my car with some OEM style DRL's. As with all my mods (well, ignoring the recent Brabus front grill) I try to keep them looking as if they possibly came out of the factory with the modified included, with DRLs this isnt straightforward as most of you will have seen.

Aftermarket DRLs come in two flavours, 1st are the eBay cheap 'n' cheerful 'White' LED lights which are never white, but more of a purpley UV style output. As seen on Mk2 Vectra's, MK3 Mondeos and Corsa's around your local McDonalds Drive Tru's on a Saturday night.
The second version are the very expensive OEM supplier branded products from manufactures such as Hella, Philips and Osram (ignore Ring units as they arent white enough).

After alot of research, I opted for the 9" Hella circle model which were produced around 2-3 years ago. These units are rarer, dont appear to have been sold through your normal Auto parts suppliers (Hella themselves couldnt provide me with a UK supplier!) and only come with very basic installation instructions. I managed to source a set via eBay £170 delivered.

DLR8.jpg

I took a slight risk as I didnt know for sure that they would fit, I measured the foglight surrounds on my CLS and they were the same, but you never can be sure.

They fit!
DLR9.jpg

The previous owner of my CLS decided to fit some aftermarket Xenons to my foglights, meaning when the follow me home lighting comes on it looks like a small Nutron bomb has gone off each time. First up I had to remove all these aftermarket gubbins but removing both from wheels and their surrounding wheel arch liners.
With the liners off, I removed all the wiring and left just the original connectors, which I bagged up (in coin bags from my local bank!) together with cable ties to make them water tight.

Now, onto fitting the LED DRLs.
First up I had to find a way to fit them to my car, using the supplied brackets wasnt going to happen as my bumpers dont feel strong enough to support the weight of the DRLs, (they have a rear glass lense on each), so I took a look at the exisiting frames from the fogs. These include a dial for manually adjusting their height. Once I had removed this dial and untightened the torx screws the frame was free. luckly the DRLs had screw holes in on their backs which arent mentioned in the instructions. with the help of a drill, I was able to fabricate holes to fit the frames on snug.

drl2.jpg

DLR12.jpg

The DRLs are a slight wedge shape (by looking from above) as a result they dont fit 100% snug and cause the bumper grill/surround to bend ever so slightly, you can only see this if you get on your hands & knees. I will work on this and report back.

DLR10.jpg

With both DRLs screwed into place on the front bumper and the surrounds fitting as plush as I can currently make them fit, its time to start with the supplied wiring loom fitment.

DLR13.jpg

Passenger side of the car was a doddle, you simpley dangle the loom down and grab it from the foglight hole. Once there connect the connectors and use some cable ties to make sure the wires dont touch anything hot, or any moving parts. This is very important!
Over to the drivers side, it is so, so, cramped! I actually got my hand stuck at one point, upon rescuing it I managed to find a spare headlight rear cover which a previous owner must have dropped long ago, only to have re-ordered it from MB!

With both units connected up to the loom, its a case of working around the engine bay ensuring that the loom is safely tucked away with cable ties making it look as OEM as possible:
DLR18.jpg

DLR15.jpg

Until you reach the fuse box. The chassis covers the way to it, apart from there was 1 free small grommet available for some un-selected option at time of purchase. removing the grommet confirmed that the hole was far too small for the fat loom. So out once again with the Dremmel, filed it down until it was double the width (sparks flying everywhere at this point!). and eventually popped the loom through:
DLR17.jpg

At this point, I realised that I needed to double back with the sidelight cabled, so that was pushed back through (the grey wire).
DLR16.jpg

Earthed the brown wire to the local chassis earth point (as above) and then I was stuck with the actual live cable. How do I actually connect this to the fuse box I was wondering?

After searching online I decided to PM member: Ted who had been offering me wiring advice over the past week. He suggested I use a 'Piggyback Extrafuse' which were available off eBay for cheap. as its late Wednesday & Bank Holiday looming (no pun intended) I decided to take a look down Halfords.

They didnt stock these, but had the next best thing:
DLR14.jpg

And it worked!!! - Difficult to photo im afraid

DLR3.jpg

DLR2.jpg

DLR7.jpg

DLR1.jpg

Note the Hella logo in the glass :)
DLR5.jpg

Whiter then my OEM Xenons:
DLR4.jpg

I am yet to wire up the sidelights, So currently they are on all the time with the ignition.
Might need some help with that, out of the 6 pins of the main headlight connector my Multimeter reports that 4 have a current (with sidelights switched on). Any ideas? im guessing its the Grey cable in the loom?

Very happy with the final result, in my eyes they look completely OEM, correct whiteness/brightness, position is correct and modenise the front of the W219.

Closest comparision are the Volvo's from around 1-2 years ago, before they started 'smoothing out' LED light lenses.

Opinions, questions welcome :)

Thanks once again to Ted for the wiring advice :thumb: - My longest post in a long while, im off for a beer.

Last edited:
Great mod and write-up as always - looks fantastic. It shows that OEM look is definitely the way to go on this type of mod - others do look a bit 'add on'.
Regarding the sidelight wire - almost certain that will be the grey one so should be simple.

I'm also thinking of putting a circuit in that overrides the 'dim on sidelights' on mine when the foglights are switched on - that should be an easy mod.

I've been looking for a while to do this. What i'd ideally like is for the DRLs to dim when the headlights come on and still to provide the 'welcome' light function. I can't remember the last time I used front foglights, so not having that function doesn't bother me but having the error message constantly would. Any progress in disabling the foglight function?

This could get you pulled over for a friendly chat as the police "could" suspect your driving in clear conditions with your foglights on. But, like you I have never found the front fogs to be of much use, even in heavy fog conditions.

This could get you pulled over for a friendly chat as the police "could" suspect your driving in clear conditions with your foglights on. But, like you I have never found the front fogs to be of much use, even in heavy fog conditions.

I have documentation which was included with the lights to confirm that they are E-Marked DRLs, + I will be able to prove that they switch off with the headlights.

They dont look like fogs in person, they are too white as per the Volvo ones mentioned earlier :thumb:

I've been looking for a while to do this. What i'd ideally like is for the DRLs to dim when the headlights come on and still to provide the 'welcome' light function. I can't remember the last time I used front foglights, so not having that function doesn't bother me but having the error message constantly would. Any progress in disabling the foglight function?

Not yet, just been concentrating on getting these up and running.

Ideally I want the fogs disabled and the TPMS gone aswell as I dont fancy forking out £100 a corner once they fail (again). - They seemed to fix themselves after a few months of ownership.

Attached is the headlight main connector, when I put the sidelights on all 4 of the pins have a current (indicated by the red dots). The pin over to the far right with the red dot has the Grey/Black cable which im guessing is the sidelight?

dlrH1_zpstixknd8j.jpg

dlrH2_zpsbfj1ikjy.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like grey/black to me ;) - good to go.
Never check for a feed with a DMM - use a testlight. Using a DMM will give misleading readings.

Is that a proper vent next to the foglight, I fancied having them side by side like the Brabus.

Looks like this with the grill removed, wouldn't effect cooling if you fitted another light as there would still be gaps.

DLR13.jpg

Would be grief to fabricate a custom frame for it and you would need to cut out a small section of bumper to get it in + you would need to find/butcher another pair of grills to get the chrome surrounds. Can be done though! Do it if your brave!

Thanks Karl, was thinking the chrome on the DRLs would be enough and setting them forward a bit following the bumper recess would help with clearance.

To be honest it's probably far too much like hard work to actually do compared to dumping the fogs but I enjoy planning these things out as much as doing it. My unfinished projects drive the missus nutty.

I got a headache reading and trying to understand what you did :)

Whitenemesis
Unless it is possible to code it out on Star, it is possible to defeat the bulb failure by leaving the foglight bulbs in circuit and carefully relocating them behind the grille. This is how I did mine.
This also still leaves the 'welcome' function working, but obviously not as bright as if they were in situ.
It does however project a nice 'diamond' pattern on the floor/wall though.

Coding out with Star would be the most elegant way.

Alfie would be able to advise on the STAR issue I'm sure.

I had OSRAM LEDriving Fog lights fitted to mine.

Looks OEM and combines functions of fog and DRL, looks oem!

Attachments

• 1455985_820926441263485_6239248789104488470_n.jpg
    1455985_820926441263485_6239248789104488470_n.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 10418446_820926421263487_7572508974104299812_n.jpg
    10418446_820926421263487_7572508974104299812_n.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
I looked at these but the application list didn't show Mercedes, so assumed there would be a compatibility issue.

Clearly not as you have them fitted! :D Might be the perfect answer to my requirements... :thumb:

I looked at these but the application list didn't show Mercedes, so assumed there would be a compatibility issue.

Clearly not as you have them fitted! :D Might be the perfect answer to my requirements... :thumb:

They work brilliantly, but sadly lose the welcome feature (when you lock or unlock) as it needs a IGN on for the module to be activated. (I'm sure you can overcome this)

The installer fitted resistors to simulate the load so no warning present

Completed the wiring this afternoon, DRLs now switch off once sidelights/headlights switched on :thumb:

For info, its pin 5 (black & white cable) which is the sidelights on the main loom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom