W219 Front Speakers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Let us know how it goes.

In the end I bought the Morels from Comand Online for the front speakers, and they are very good. For the rear speakers I used some Panasonic TS-E171CI just to get rid of the dreadful MB speakers. The rears are not so important for me as I rarely carry back seat passengers. For the centre speaker I used a Faital Pro 3FE22 3 inch 20W/4Ohm Faital Pro 3FE22 3Inch Speaker Driver 20 W 4 Ohm but make sure you move the capacitor over from the old speaker otherwise the bass will overwhelm it. You need to mod the mounting to get it to fit but the improvement over the standard speaker is night and day. Telephone calls are now loud enough and crystal clear as it uses that speaker but it also improves clarity with vocals on music. Overall the improvement in sound quality over the original speakers is a massive improvement and did nothing to the amps, just using the stock NTG2.5.

The best bit I have done to the car is I soundproofed it in just about every area I could reasonably reach using this as its cheaper than Dynamat Silent Coat 2mm Mat Bulk The biggest improvement is soundproofing the boot as the plastic tray for the spare wheel is a major contributor to the noise in the car, especially if you have the wider rear wheels (tyre noise). I used some sound deadening mat (Mass Loaded Vinyl) as well as the Silent Coat. Don't ignore the soundproofing, it really helps.

I see you are in London, I am near Saffron Walden in Essex if you want to come and have a listen and see how I installed everything.

Hi
I am in the process of installing a set of Morel's Component speakers in my 219 replacing the tired HK front speakers (bought from Comand online (thank you Richard).
I cant help think the new front speakers will show up the deficiencies of the tired rear door speakers, and as these are the same as the fronts I will either buy another set of Morel's from Richard, or use a pair of Focal Components I have somewhere.
I remember reading this thread and I have been wondering on the centre speaker replacement, looking at images of the standard one and the Faitel one in you're link I was wondering if you could elaborate on what is exactly involved in fitting it.

You just need to Dremel some of the original plastic to get it to fit so the cone doesn't foul the cover. Not difficult. Then I used VHB tape to secure it down. Don't forget the capacitor though. This is the best upgrade you can do as it improves vocals and telephone calls can now be heard properly.

So just to clarify its the speaker itself I am modifying to fit and not where the speaker actually sits in the dash, sorry if I am being a bit dense.

Don't modify the speaker, you just need to mod the plastic bracket it fits into. It is only a case of opening out the hole a bit so the speaker sits in it properly - it will be obvious once you marry the two up together. It really isn't a big job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom