W219 Front Speakers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Larkone

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2008 CLS 320 CDI facelift
Took the covers off my front speakers so I could then remove the speakers to fix a squeaking window. Well the factory fit standard speakers (not HK) are not the best thing in audio excellence, a plastic spider really!!

So I am considering upgrading them. Has anyone done this and have any recommendations as to what works well? The MB original has quite a large fixed mount angling the speaker out as part of the whole speaker frame so does anyone make anything to match this or do you just mount the replacements back against the metal? All help appreciated.

Not got one but have you searched audio stores for speaker adapters. I've just bought some for my W204 to allow normal 6.5 inch component speakers to be fitted

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

I have searched but cannot seem to find anything for a 2008 (2009 MY - facelift) W219. Does anybody know if the the same age E class kits would fit and would that be the W211 or W212 to match mine?

You need to speak with the guys at Comandonline, down in Lightwater, they do this upgrade all the time.

I looked at the Commandonline offering but at that price it is a bit steep. The Morel speakers can be had for around £100 so another £150 for the Dynamat and fitting rings seems high, especially as I already have several metres of Dynamat from a previous install I did not complete.

I am thinking I will look at making my own adapter plates from plastic composite.

I saw something on YouTube once where someone cut out the speaker and used the original basket as a mounting adapter

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Good idea normally but the basket and speaker are all one unit which would mean destroying it, but to be honest it is such a cheap plastic moulding I wouldn't want to use it.

Don't know if it's still true of the facelifted version but as I understand it on the NTG1 equipped cars it was actually the amp that lets it down despite what the speakers may look like and a better amp spliced in makes a world of difference.

Good idea normally but the basket and speaker are all one unit which would mean destroying it, but to be honest it is such a cheap plastic moulding I wouldn't want to use it.
Yes that's what this guy did. Destroyed it but left with a mounting surface. But if it's cheap and nasty probably not worth doing

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Don't know if it's still true of the facelifted version but as I understand it on the NTG1 equipped cars it was actually the amp that lets it down despite what the speakers may look like and a better amp spliced in makes a world of difference.

It's an NTG2.5 and haven't found any information about the possibility of an amp upgrade. However just looking at the build quality of the speakers makes me want to change them.

The Morel speakers can be had for around £100.

Where from ? - Maximo 6.5 components RRP is around £165 - cheapest I can find is a grey import from Italy that's about £30 cheaper - good luck if you have any issues though !!

The morels work really well ...

R

Richard,
is there a centre speaker in the non HK /non Logic 7 audio setup in 2009 CLS?
I'm trying to work out what options I have if I want to improve the audio on a lowish budget, I have some of the parts already from another car, namely Hertz HDP4 amp and a pair of Focal ISS165 2 way 6.5" speakers.

According to EPC there is a centre speaker always. It's a different speaker (better) if you have HK. You could put a 4" coax (with mid and tweeter built in) I think. Or just put the HK one in ?

R

I presume DSP with is the preserve of the HK system? I believe the centre speaker is 4" or 10cm. Most speakers except subs are sold in pairs, so I'll end up with a spare, unless I try to source the HK centre speaker. Richard, do you sell a harness kit that allows the standard amp to be swapped out? I don't like modifying the original loom. I hope it lives in the boot close to where the battery is.

Larkone - did you get round to do anything to the speakers or amplifier?
In the end I bought the Morels from Comand Online for the front speakers, and they are very good. For the rear speakers I used some Panasonic TS-E171CI just to get rid of the dreadful MB speakers. The rears are not so important for me as I rarely carry back seat passengers. For the centre speaker I used a Faital Pro 3FE22 3 inch 20W/4Ohm Faital Pro 3FE22 3Inch Speaker Driver 20 W 4 Ohm but make sure you move the capacitor over from the old speaker otherwise the bass will overwhelm it. You need to mod the mounting to get it to fit but the improvement over the standard speaker is night and day. Telephone calls are now loud enough and crystal clear as it uses that speaker but it also improves clarity with vocals on music. Overall the improvement in sound quality over the original speakers is a massive improvement and did nothing to the amps, just using the stock NTG2.5.

The best bit I have done to the car is I soundproofed it in just about every area I could reasonably reach using this as its cheaper than Dynamat Silent Coat 2mm Mat Bulk The biggest improvement is soundproofing the boot as the plastic tray for the spare wheel is a major contributor to the noise in the car, especially if you have the wider rear wheels (tyre noise). I used some sound deadening mat (Mass Loaded Vinyl) as well as the Silent Coat. Don't ignore the soundproofing, it really helps.

I see you are in London, I am near Saffron Walden in Essex if you want to come and have a listen and see how I installed everything.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips Larkone. I thought my CLS was pretty quiet already, so it can be improved.

The main difficulty in doing these things is how to get access and how to route wires etc so your offer is appreciated.

It’ll also give me an idea of the costs versus benefits too as aim loathe to mid-spend.

A update - Ordered one Faital Pro 3Fe22 for the centre. I'm going to fit the Focal ISS165 since I have those already.
I'm going to work out how difficult/practical for me to fit the Silent coat stuff. If it goes well, I'll consider an underseat (mid) bass box, like the Focal ibus20 or similar.

A update - Ordered one Faital Pro 3Fe22 for the centre. I'm going to fit the Focal ISS165 since I have those already.
I'm going to work out how difficult/practical for me to fit the Silent coat stuff. If it goes well, I'll consider an underseat (mid) bass box, like the Focal ibus20 or similar.
You need to do some fettling with a Dremel to fit the Faital in the centre, but it does fit. Just don't forget to move the capacitor from the original speaker to the Faital.

thanks Larkone, I have a Dremel and a selection of files, it will fit ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom