W219 (same as W211) wiper mechanism - help please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk208

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS
Hi folks,

Jumped in the CLS earlier this evening after some basic de-icing. I thought I had cleared the screen externally with de icer but it seems the left wiper was still firmly frozen onto the screen. :doh:

I pressed the wash/wipe button and the driver's side wiper promptly did it's stuff but the passenger side remained worryingly planted to the screen. Freed it off but it seems to have gone limp and I can now move it manually by hand. It doesn't move at all when I operate the wipers. So I just have a drivers side wiper currently.

Completed my 30 mins motorway journey, car now parked at destination for half an hour, allowed heat to dissipate into it and passenger side wiper still showing no life.

Are there seperate motors for drivers/passenger side wipers? Or is it just a linkage - is there anything I can do to reattach the linkage/get it working again?!

Last edited:
Hi

It has 1 motor & the have a linkage, just check the fixing nut has not come loose on the n/a arm.
If its tight you may have to remove wiper arms & scuttle panel to inspect further.

It will be loose nut 100% it's really common

Thanks guys. Didn't get chance to examine today but will take a look in daylight tomorrow.

There is definitely something clattering around so it may be the fixings underneath the scuttle panel. Really hope it's just the external nut!

If all else fails it's still under warranty but earliest appointment is next Tue..

Just to provide an update - the external nuts were loose on the passenger side arm but tightening had no effect, so the problem must be one of the nuts/something else under the scuttle.

Decided it was best not to delve any further for fear of making the drivers side wiper also u/s. So booked into the earliest slot at a dealer, which is next Tuesday - most were saying end of next week or even Christmas eve. Must be a busy time or lots of staff taking leave.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom