W219 (W211) steering knocking help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

notsofast

Car
CLS320Cdi
Guys - Can someone with a CLS or E-Class check for this knocking. With the engine running the knock is masked completely by the power assistance. It cannot be felt through the steering wheel but can be felt through the floor pan. I have checked the track rod ends, steering rack mountings and all the steering joints without any obvious problems.
I think it may just be the steering column rack / pinion internal clearance but would really appreciate if someone else could check theirs and let me know.
https://youtu.be/6DkvTaV8G50

What's it like to drive? Do you feel it on the road or particularly when going over very low Kurds/driveway entrances etc? If it's ok when driving but when off and stationary I could only think it's something in the power steering unit. Can you put your hand on the power steering unit while someone wiggles the steering wheel?

The car drives perfectly and does not make this (or any other suspension) noise when the engine (power assistance) is running. I have held onto both track rod ends and also checked the mounting bolts on the rack itself - all good.

That's not good. I'd get an indy to check and diagnose the problem instead of us guessing.

I'm not actually sure it is a problem - It may just be the backlash in the steering rack. I'm hoping someone with a W219 or W211 can try the same thing for me to confirm. Engine off, steering lock off and rock the steering wheel fairly sharply side to side.

I'm not actually sure it is a problem - It may just be the backlash in the steering rack. I'm hoping someone with a W219 or W211 can try the same thing for me to confirm. Engine off, steering lock off and rock the steering wheel fairly sharply side to side.

Should you really be trying to move steering with engine off? I've done it then car is on axle stands and wheels off to change pads but I know when it's on the deck it's bloody heavy and hard work so I'd be tempted to avoid that. I'll rock mine for you later but not lock to lock as I think it could possibly damage something. Mines an e class w211.

My E280 W211 2008 does that. Nothing with engine running. Only when engine off as with yours. Checked this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Reamer - I suspected it was normal as there was no play in any of the suspension / steering joints and it a low mileage car. I noticed it as I was going over the car for its MOT this coming next week so a tad paranoid anyway.....

All good with the MOT today :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom