W219 Xenon Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tunnie

Car
Not a Merc, yet!
Is it correct that the first generation CLS W219, if it has Xenon headlights the fog lights are oval, not round? I was told this before...

Looking at some AutoTrader listings, I can see a clear difference between fog lights, some are larger and oval, most have small 'spot' lights.

Yet some adverts state it they have the upgraded xenon headlights, but still have the smaller spot/round fog lights.

The only exception is if it has the AMG front end, then they aren't oval and it may have xenons.

The other way you can tell is the levelling switch is present under the main lightswitch. Its not there on xenon cars as they are self-levelling.

e.g. this one the dealer is either lying or he doesn't know what he's talking about. It doesn't have xenons.

Thanks. So Excluding AMG bumpers then Xenons must have oval fogs?

I see this base spec looking example, has projectors...

Mercedes-Benz CLS 3.0 CLS320 CDI 7G-Tronic 4dr

But it's hard to tell what controls are around the light switch. As your example showed an extra little dial, in addition to main on/off/Auto.

But one above does not have that.

Confused.Tunne.Here. :confused:

Yes they are projectors but not high voltage like xenons.

It does have the extra switch:

b2Hw7LM.png

Ahh it's one of those little things that pops out.

Would models with Airmatic, but no Xenons still not have that adjuster? As I know someone with an R-Class was caught out that way.

I guess either way, if I have a quick look underneath to confirm it's on coils not air-matic would solve that.

I guess either way, if I have a quick look underneath to confirm it's on coils not air-matic would solve that.

If you're in front of the car it would be far easier just to turn the lights and flick between dip and main.

They are bi-xenon so dip has shutter down, main shutter lifts out of the way. Looking at the front of a non xenon car, the outer lights are dip beam the inner ones are main. On a xenon car the inner are still just main beam but the outers flick between dip and main, this is also an easy way to tell if they are aftermarket as that won't have the 'bi' bit.

Airmatic you can tell from interior pics, big button in the middle at the bottom of gear selector panel, next to the much smaller parking sensor switch.

Thanks, very useful info :D

As I don't want to be lumbered on one with out Xenons!

Thanks, very useful info :D

As I don't want to be lumbered on one with out Xenons!

The xenon equipped cars are amazing on dark country roads as it's literally four main beams.

Number one to be 100% sure you have though is Parktronic as visibility is shocking in these cars, especially rearwards. There are quite a few out there without it and not just otherwise low spec ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom