W220 2003 S600 iPhone connectivity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

restorer

Car
2003 S600, 2008 Panda 4x4, 2012 Nissan NV400, Lexus RX300
Dear founts of all knowledge ....
I want to connect my iPhone so I can use the steering wheel controls and see the phone book/callers on the screen.
Is a ViseeO the way to go? And which one (not a MB2, I’m told)? Or is there a better way?

Buy a replacement infotainment unit, the original is useless now. Check out pioneer they have units with support for reversing camera etc.

Sent from my H8116 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
But a replacement infotainment unit, the original is useless now. Check out pioneer they have units with support for reversing camera etc.
Thanks for the advice. I had an E55K 2005 before and the infotainment in my S600 does seem a little archaic!
But I like to preserve originality when I can so I’d really prefer to adapt this rather than replace it.
My daughter has an Apple CarPlay Pioneer fitted in her Corsa and that’s quite nice to use. Think I’ll keep that as a final resort option at the moment.

Thanks for the advice. I had an E55K 2005 before and the infotainment in my S600 does seem a little archaic!
But I like to preserve originality when I can so I’d really prefer to adapt this rather than replace it.
My daughter has an Apple CarPlay Pioneer fitted in her Corsa and that’s quite nice to use. Think I’ll keep that as a final resort option at the moment.
Try one of the android units which look almost identical to the one in you car...but provide so much more. I did...don't regret it.

Try one of the android units which look almost identical to the one in you car...but provide so much more. I did...don't regret it.

I have an iPhone. Would an android unit work?

I have an iPhone. Would an android unit work?
Bluetooth phone support shouldn't matter, if you want carplay it is something you need to look for specifically. Obviously with a new head unit you won't get support to display details on your speedometer. I guess if you just want calls go for the viseeo.

Bluetooth phone support shouldn't matter, if you want carplay it is something you need to look for specifically. Obviously with a new head unit you won't get support to display details on your speedometer. I guess if you just want calls go for the viseeo.

Anyone know which viseeo model works in my S600? I got hold of an MB2 and that one doesn’t fit

Anyone know which viseeo model works in my S600? I got hold of an MB2 and that one doesn’t fit
Have you a pic of the connector in the arm rest?

Dont know if this is any use to you:

CES AUTOS Limited. Search

I got one two years ago from them, its a pretty good machine, but I have not been able to hook it up to the steering wheel controls yet (though to be fair, I have not tried!)
If you do swap the head unit for an Android one, its not an easy task, and you may well lose a lot of features, the clock will not auto adjust, the voice command will not work, you will need a different amplifier, basically anything that runs via the D2B wont work anymore.
(As I said, I did this conversion 2 years ago, so things may have moved on since then)

The job was not easy, I found that I did not use the lead that supposedly made it all work with the OEM equipent, because it just didnt work.
However the sound is now a ton better, I used three amps, one for front, one for rear, and one for sub.
I kept the original Bose sub, but I will be trying out a seperate sub when I get around to it.
BTW, I am a retired live sound engineer, and when I say it sounds better, I mean the clarity is much improved, its not window rattlingly loud, because I have set it up for quality over quantity.

Dont know if this is any use to you:

CES AUTOS Limited. Search

I got one two years ago from them, its a pretty good machine, but I have not been able to hook it up to the steering wheel controls yet (though to be fair, I have not tried!)
If you do swap the head unit for an Android one, its not an easy task, and you may well lose a lot of features, the clock will not auto adjust, the voice command will not work, you will need a different amplifier, basically anything that runs via the D2B wont work anymore.
(As I said, I did this conversion 2 years ago, so things may have moved on since then)

The job was not easy, I found that I did not use the lead that supposedly made it all work with the OEM equipent, because it just didnt work.
However the sound is now a ton better, I used three amps, one for front, one for rear, and one for sub.
I kept the original Bose sub, but I will be trying out a seperate sub when I get around to it.
BTW, I am a retired live sound engineer, and when I say it sounds better, I mean the clarity is much improved, its not window rattlingly loud, because I have set it up for quality over quantity.

Thanks and interesting. Think I’m going to keep the original unit, get a ViseeO MBU-3000 for hands free phone usage which will keep functionality of the steering wheel controls, and stream music via the auxiliary input. Probably not be able to have music data on the cars Comand screen but heyho.

If you have the phone cradle with the curly lead (i.e. the cradle which doesn't disconnect and reveal a UHI connector) then the MBU 3000 is the one you need. Good luck finding one for a reasonable price, I've been keeping an eye open for one for my W220 and the only one I can see for sale at the moment is £280. No way am I going to pay that when a new aftermarket Android head unit is less than that.

If you have the phone cradle with the curly lead (i.e. the cradle which doesn't disconnect and reveal a UHI connector) then the MBU 3000 is the one you need. Good luck finding one for a reasonable price, I've been keeping an eye open for one for my W220 and the only one I can see for sale at the moment is £280. No way am I going to pay that when a new aftermarket Android head unit is less than that.

I bought that one (on eBay) for £250. Very pricey I thought but needs must.

Having secondary blower sorted out next week as well

Unless you're using your iPhone a lot in the car, why not just use Iphone's Siri to control your calls, and simply bluetooth your iPhone into an aux socket ?

That enables you to stream all kinds of audio as well, while costing pennies.

From memory, my W220 S500 had an Aux in in the glove compartment - I think it was an option. A car stereo installer "should" be able to create one for "not much money." (It's just a matter of rigging the cable, with no mains connection.)

Alternatively you could use a Bluetooth FM transmitter - not great for quality, but as used by many young 'uns to get round this problem.

Just a thought....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom