w220,320L,S class, exhaust rattle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pc-uk007

Car
2001, W220, S320L, petrol,
2001, 90,000 miles, Can anyone advise me please,(do not want to scrap car) i have this intermittent rattle coming from the exhaust system that alters with engine speed, i have been to 2 well known exhaust centres that have both said catalytic converters are the problem, now do i fit after market, choice of ceramic or metalic or MB very costly ones ???

If your car is a diesel i would fit the cheapest ones possible as they have no effect on the mot,If its petrol do you know if its the pre-cats or main cats,as pre cats serve little purpose on the mot and can be replaced with the cheapest ones available,make sure you get your old cats back as they are worth between £20-£50 each at any scrapyard.

Hi starletman, Sorry forgot to mention it is petrol and it has cats with exhaust sensors (lamdas), but because my car is a jan 2001 car it does not have to have e marked exhaust, i have found out that the ceramic is less durable than the metalic type, the difference in price of aftermarket and a dealer is £600 to £800 on justs the parts so quite a saving, thanks for info on scrap value of cats.

Hi, just letting you know this concern is now resolved, thanx for help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom