W220 airmatic issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well after a few days it was done, 2 new front struts have been fitted. It all works fine now, car stays up and the raise switch works fine, car goes up and down perfectly.

Now it has flagged an error.
El. Power Control Visit Workshop! Epc BAS. Air suspension (4 errors)

Not sure why its mentioned the air suspension as its working fine. I have tried turning the steering wheel left and right which usually works in the past when I disconnected the battery, but this time the error just stays.

I have read forums and it seems most people have this linked to low fuel or fuel supply. Plenty of fuel in the tank but, maybe because my car has been jacked up in the front and left in the air for the last few days. all the pipes must be drained to the back.

Might just change the fuel filter as its probably well overdue and see if it makes a difference.

Any suggestion will be more than welcome.

Problem Sorted, no errors all is fine. Couple of years back I purchased a Autel scanner from a car boot for £10 which does a diagnosis on ABS so When I plugged it in it flagged the front right wheel speed sensor C1101, after doing a search I found this video on youtube.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So I checked the wires to the plug where the Strut wire and speed sensor go and being a very fiddly and awkward position to plug in it turns out mine had not seated correctly so I pushed the plug again and it seated correctly, reattached the securing pin and wheel back on. Started the car all errors gone, no abs light on all working fine.

It definitely paid off getting it checked otherwise I would have never suspected the struts as the kept the car afloat whilst idle so I ruled them out of the equation. I knew the pump needed replacing along with the securing bracket and rubber bushes as the old was missing a leg and the whole chassis vibrated when the pump ran, The valve block was blocked causing the car to rise to maximum every night so that was on the list and with the updated design it should be fine now.

A big thanks to PCS and Olly for answering a few queries I had along the way.

A happy ending…almost. Whilst fitting the pump and valve block a few weeks back I lost a under car panel screw and washer, I had a spare so it was ok, but today I found the bloody thing in my front tyre!!!! I would not have minded if it was the back tyre as they were dangerously low.

Oh well 3 tyres tomorrow, one more than needed but at least my car is running again.

Well I spoke to soon, after a day of running fine it decided to stop and now the pump will not run. Need to get it diagnosed again to find the next problem.

Interesting I jacked up the car to check if the sensors looked ok and if the wires were loose and all of a sudden the pump kicked in but did not raise the suspension, it just ran for a while. So the pump is running but only when the car is raised off the ground, will try to get both side up at once and see if it makes a difference.

Well an update on this ongoing saga. The car was jacked up to check the compressor and valve block wire and I left the car running whilst up. All the wires look secure and no obvious leaks although whilst up in the air the air release valve on the pump (the round white disc/cylinder) was hissing every 10-15 seconds.

When I lowered the car I kept the raise button activated and as I lowered the car on both sides the pump kicked in and the struts began inflating keeping the car up, I removed the jacks and the car was fully raised. I have the car booked in on Tuesday so I won't risk driving it now to test otherwise it may drop. Its at the highest point in the front being 40cm from the star on the wheel to the arch.

Lets see what the outcome is when its plugged in.

I took it out for the day and its running fine, no error messages the car would rise and drop when the button was pressed, it seems absolutely fine not and I have to say you cant tell its an aftermarket strut, still drives smoothly and perform well over bumps and uneven road surface. As mentioned I still have it booked in, probably worth getting it checked as it could flag the error without warning so hopefully Star diagnosis car spot an potential problems that will may pop up. or there could still be a slight air leak which I should get sorted to avoid burning out the pump. Will let you know on Wednesday the outcome.

All back to normal, car needed a lot of air suspensions codes cleared and the calibration was way off. All done and it drives perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom