W220 Airmatic leak?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BKM

Car
2004 W220 S320CDI
Hi all,

Last week after having the car parked for about 24 hours I found the front on the ground and the lovely red message "Airmatic - stop, car too low". Within a few seconds after starting the engine the car went up and the message dissapeared. Drove to work. After 4 hours the same problem. Went home, parked for the night and everything was fine in the morning - car maybe a little bit lower than normally but no warning on the dashboard.

Took it to the garrage. Star returned one error storred - C1517-001 "Critical vehicle level at front axle". No obvious leak found. The guys suggested I watch which side drops first to identify which strut leaks (if it is a strut). the pump is working fine and has been changed 4 months ago. Went back home, again no problems overnight.

The following day pressed the button to lift the car up to see if that does something and after 4 hours of parking the front was down again but with no visible difference on either side. After starting the engine the car went up within seconds. Parked it again for 24 hours and using tape meassure checked the hight - Left 390mm, right 382 mm, after 24 hours both sides leveled at 362mm.

Surely if it was a strut or lines it wouldn't be an on and off problem, the pump is fine other components the may leak would show on Star as an error. Or at least that's how I understand the way Airmatic works.

Can anyone offer an insight or a suggestion what else I can do to find the leak/solve the problem:dk:?

I don't want to appear pedantic but your car has the ABC system, not Airmatic...anyway, it sounds like one or more of the valve blocks might have a leak (note that this doesn't mean that hydraulic fluid leaks onto the floor, rather it leaks from one part of the system into another)

I don't want to appear pedantic but your car has the ABC system, not Airmatic...anyway, it sounds like one or more of the valve blocks might have a leak (note that this doesn't mean that hydraulic fluid leaks onto the floor, rather it leaks from one part of the system into another)

Wrong.

You could have a leak on one of the plastic airlines or the valve chest could have a sticky valve, the best way to check the lines is either on star (may take a while) or spray soapy water on all the lines and see if there are any bubbles.

It is 100% Airmatic not ABC. Would spraying soapy water on the valve block show any leaks? And can I get to it without jacking the car up?

I have not used the car for another 12 hours and it has only dropped down further 5mm each side, haven't checked but don't think I would get a warning on the dashboard yet.

I thought ABC was standard on the W220, seems I was wrong! :doh: It was std on my car, hence my mistake...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom