W220 airmatic problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mercsys

Car
S350, & E320 CDI Estate Avantgarde
Hi All,
Returning from Europe, my S350, W220 067, 2002, 100K, flagged a visit workshop Airmatic problem after a toll booth stop but all seems ok, but today only the front of the car is on the deck and displaying a red stop visit workshop, but the rear seems okay. Am I looking at a control problem or a more basic compressor failure, but why only the front?

...findings so far, the pump is not outputting anything.
The 40A fuse was blown, and replacing it made no change.
Testing the relay I found the coil good but no continuity through the contacts, opening it, the lead to the armature contact had burned off, so as a quick fix I soldered it back on, but resulted in the contact mount burning through, so either the pump is seizes or full of water or the contact was so bad it just heated locally and failed or the lead should had been soldered to the contact and not to the armature.

Attachments

• 20160228_171922.jpg
    20160228_171922.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20160228_162509.jpg
    20160228_162509.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 13
Fixed, I replaced the relay AND reset with a star machine clone and all is back to normal. So <£10 all done, I will be checking the system for leaks during my next service and Ill probably change the ring on the compressor.

... I tried to raise the car recently with the airmatic and resulted in the car flagging an Airmatic error and it going into pimpmobile mode with its nose on the deck, fuse and relay were okay so I cleared all errors though the airmatic was not showing an error and its recovered again, I'm going to replace the compressor piston ring, but this one has me scratching my head, compressor motor brushed perhaps? The car does not seam to drop over night so I am assuming the struts and lines are okay. Any input form the gurus would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom